SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't get a wi-fi signal this morning to check radar, but I figured 'what the hell?' and decided to load the kayak and go for a paddle on Mousam Lake. Very foggy conditions with some sprinkles - big whoop. I had the lake to myself and it was relaxing. So, I'm about two miles from the boat ramp when the sprinkles started coming down with more authority. It was never a downpour, but it was a steady rain. Got pretty wet! :lol:

Looks like the sfc cold front is moving through here right now. It was 62.0F 5 mins ago, but now the NW wind is increasing to 10mph and the temp is down to 60F. 0.43" of rain through the tipper and counting with some +SHRA.

Came through here around noon or so--started the day at 58, now down to 46.

Had some very pesky persistent rain this morning, just a little drizzle from time to time now.

Endless summer some say? Endless cutofff misery I'd call it. :arrowhead:

It’s certainly felt like fall today – we were at a soccer tournament in Morrisville and boy was it raw, mid 40s F and sprinkles in the earlier morning which turned into wind-driven moderate and heavy rain in the mid morning. People were joking that it felt like the precipitation could change over to snow at any minute. Heading home around 11:00 A.M. the thermometer read a consistent 43 F through Morrisville as well as back here at the house, and it’s sat right there all day. I couldn’t help but wonder if there was frozen precipitation in the peaks, as temperatures would be right in that range with typical saturated lapse rates. The Mt. Mansfield sensor has been dropping and is down to 34 F, so it’s certainly getting close to the freezing point.

Another foul day here today, although warmer than yesterday. Got back up into the mid-50s after staying the mid/upper 40s yesterday.

Drizzle of varying intensity pretty much since last night, occasionally a true shower rolls overhead.

My wife, brother and I took the family's old inboard for a cold, windy, choppy & drizzly cocktail cruise last night. Couldn't be beat. Gin & tonics at 47F with a 15-20mph north wind in an open boat. :sizzle:

Spent the day playing golf at Eastman Golf Links in Grantham NH. We got very lucky with the weather. Teed off around 11:00 and never had any precipitation other than a couple of sprinkles and a little mist. Colors subdued but still a nice day to play. I guess it rained day up here at home. Looks like a crappy couple of days upcoming.

oh somebody just mentioned my tropical garden, which triggers a bell to ring alerting me that photos need to be posted.

I have my IR temp sensor and sound impact sensor functioning. I feel like a mad scientist right now.

I'm struggling with a couple of programs here that will allow me to log data to an excel or text file so I'm stalled on that. I'm just amazed I'm actually able to get readings from the sensors considering how clueless I originally was.

I need some kind of filter/window that is transparent to 5.5-14 microns so that I can protect the IR sensor from the elements, yet still let the long wave radiation through. Some of these moisture-safe windows are ridiculously expensive.

I have my IR temp sensor and sound impact sensor functioning. I feel like a mad scientist right now.

I'm struggling with a couple of programs here that will allow me to log data to an excel or text file so I'm stalled on that. I'm just amazed I'm actually able to get readings from the sensors considering how clueless I originally was.

I need some kind of filter/window that is transparent to 5.5-14 microns so that I can protect the IR sensor from the elements, yet still let the long wave radiation through. Some of these moisture-safe windows are ridiculously expensive.

Nice. Good luck.

Picked up .60" today although I missed the first hour of rain because the battery in my ISS died.

Nice. Good luck.

Picked up .60" today although I missed the first hour of rain because the battery in my ISS died.

0.51" here. 3.25" over the last 4 days.

What do I need to do to my elephant ears this week? I'm expecting a 32F.

I just put the IR sensor outside aiming at the sky. I got 13.22C for a sky temp with my 2m temp right now being 13.3C. Perfection. With a deltaT that low I can probably automate an estimate of fog. 1-3F could be light fog/mist/BR, 3-60F OVC at varying cloud heights, and then > 60F clear. Then I can find a % of cloudy minutes over a 30 min period and estimate cloud coverage. Bwahaha. :snowman:

I just put the IR sensor outside aiming at the sky. I got 13.22C for a sky temp with my 2m temp right now being 13.3C. Perfection. With a deltaT that low I can probably automate an estimate of fog. 1-3F could be light fog/mist/BR, 3-60F OVC at varying cloud heights, and then > 60F clear. Then I can find a % of cloudy minutes over a 30 min period and estimate cloud coverage. Bwahaha. :snowman:

Don't know, But killing ther bug is more of a priority, Time has come for it to go..

That is seriously cool. Makes my anti-bird rain gauge protector and A/C FARS creations seem pretty boring. :lol:

For the elephant ear: cut off the leaves and dig it up. Shake off as much soil as you can and then cut off any roots sticking out of the bulb. I usually rinse them in a bucket of water to further remove any lingering soil. Let the bulb dry in the sun, then store it in the basement.

The bulb probably won't look anything like what I gave you in the spring. Over the winter, the leaf stems on top will dry and shrink. If you get bored and peel them off in February, you can make them into the nice tidy round bulbs like what you started with.

What's the RVR??? LOL

That's pretty cool. You're really into that stuff.

2.6" rain in past 4 days, including the crackling TS Thurs evening (which I missed, being in PQI. Did see a dandy bull moose in Ashland the next day, trotting across the fields south of town.) Some bright thing popped into view for about 30 seconds earlier this aft, and the ground is actually dry, almost. Nicer than the 45F rain Sat evening, with wind.

Looks pretty sure that the frost/freeze I dodged on 9/17-19 comes in even stronger this Thurs/Fri.

Just had some moderate RA here in AUG. Radar showed some moderate this morning IMBY, but total precip still at <0.30" there. The rain band grew up as it got farther north, up to the 2.5-3.0" color over Sugarloaf and Crocker Mts. Hope the Carrabasset doesn't take out the temp bridges installed after Irene.

Archived