• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL 1/25-27 potential Part III

NortheastPAWx

What about dynamics? If the low is strong enough, it could still snow if it can create its own cold air source, I've seen it happen countless times even with a lack of cold air. I don't think this is 100% rain by any means yet. Also, we have had snowstorms without blocking, just because we don't have blocking doesn't mean we can't get a storm.

Yes, but as previously mentioned (ESPECIALLY for folks like you and me), a shift of the wind flow to a predominantly easterly component for 6-12 hours is complete and utter death every time for us along the coast.

Way too much warm air entraining in at multiple levels.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about dynamics? If the low is strong enough, it could still snow if it can create its own cold air source, I've seen it happen countless times even with a lack of cold air. I don't think this is 100% rain by any means yet. Also, we have had snowstorms without blocking, just because we don't have blocking doesn't mean we can't get a storm.

There will be a storm.....just it would be most likely rain along the coast with the antecedent temperature profiles along the EC (ie modified maritime air).

Go look at the soundings. It would take enormous dynamical cooling to get snow to fall along the coast, verbatim GFS, or a change to a more blocking (ie HP stationary over ME).

I did notice that on the GFS, the freezing line heads back east as the low goes north.

I honestly can't believe how challenging a pattern this is for models. We're 3 days out from the event, and never mind p-type or anything else, our modeling can't even agree on the general cyclogenesis.

This winter should send a lot of people back to their synoptic meteorology textbooks, and is a perfect example of why it's METEORology and not MODELology.

"

*** ALERT ALERT *** 12Z GFS shifts from OHIO to GA IN 1 RUN !!!****

once again proving how awful this model is on east coast winter storms solutions past 84 hrs... The GFS just BLINKED .... some of l those idiots mets at American saying how the GFS midwest solution could be correct... LOL... ROTLOL... ROTFLMAO...."

LOL

"

*** ALERT ALERT *** 12Z GFS shifts from OHIO to GA IN 1 RUN !!!****

once again proving how awful this model is on east coast winter storms solutions past 84 hrs... The GFS just BLINKED .... some of l those idiots mets at American saying how the GFS midwest solution could be correct... LOL... ROTLOL... ROTFLMAO...."

LOL

Why is anyone allowed to post anything from him?

He really needs to grow up

Thanks guys...someone just mentioned that the storm moving closer to the coast, the mechanisms involved in that, would cause temps to crash? Is there any credence in the "storm creates it's own cold air" theory?

Rapidly deepening storms can lower thicknesses, as the "bombing" takes place. as soon as the occlusion process begins in such systems, the various Mid and Upper level lows stack and thicknesses stabilize and then rise.

If this pans out like most guidance is indicating we will have two major storms in exactly one month on the 26th, one with 2 ft of snow this one with 2 inches of rain. Hopefully we get a good front end thump and the deep arctic cold hangs tough from being scoured out.

"

***  ALERT  ALERT  ***  12Z   GFS   shifts  from OHIO  to  GA  IN 1 RUN !!!****

once  again proving  how   awful this model is   on east coast  winter   storms  solutions   past  84 hrs...     The   GFS  just   BLINKED ....   some of l those idiots  mets at  American   saying    how the    GFS   midwest  solution  could be correct... LOL... ROTLOL...  ROTFLMAO...."

LOL

dt has been nothing but awful this year, hes the last guy id want a forecast from 

dt has been nothing but awful this year, hes the last guy id want a forecast from

Agreed. Hence that lack or radio shows and lack of his input on these boards. It doesn't help that he has a significant regional bias. I don't even understand his most recent FB statement.

I honestly can't believe how challenging a pattern this is for models. We're 3 days out from the event, and never mind p-type or anything else, our modeling can't even agree on the general cyclogenesis.

This winter should send a lot of people back to their synoptic meteorology textbooks, and is a perfect example of why it's METEORology and not MODELology.

Great point!

its so hard for me to listen to anything from someone with the writing and communication skills of a 4 year old. sorry for posting it if i offended anyone

Anyway, I guess until we get more of the players over land, none of this is set in stone.

Why is anyone allowed to post anything from him?

He really needs to grow up

instead.........how about someone more civil and very honest........Rob G........he is having a radio show tonight (see blog) and people are welcome to call in................

http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/prometweatherblogs/3/2/4170/MODELS-&-PATTERN-SERVE-UP-A-BIG-NOR%27EASTER-%28AUDIO-BLOG%29

East winds out ahead of the storm for 12 hours

Though it has been said hundreds of times in the last day, people don't seem to want to believe that a retreating high brings e and se winds and turns the coastal plain to mix and then rain. Has been happening my whole life. The interior can do well, but not the coastal plain.

Though it has been said hundreds of times in the last day, people don't seem to want to believe that a retreating high brings e and se winds and turns the coastal plain to mix and then rain. Has been happening my whole life. The interior can do well, but not the coastal plain.

And it's not just at the surface or just above.....the east winds (or a component thereof) would be prevalent for a good portion of the profile....

Best statement of the day.

Do the GFS ensembles do total precip? If so, I'd like to see a map of that. Also, where do you get those maps/links like that? You know the old saying "give the man a fish feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and teach him for a lifetime."

This is snow for many areas.

12zgfsensemblep72108.gif

Archived