• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 1/25-27 potential Part III

NortheastPAWx

Yep, not a good solution verbatim. I was just looking at the B&W maps and thought it could be better because it has a high not far off Maine.

so my biggest question would be.........at what point are we "locked in" on the location of that high........tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night or mon morning????

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, not a good solution verbatim. I was just looking at the B&W maps and thought it could be better because it has a high not far off Maine.

The dashed black line on the precip maps of the ggem (bottom right panel) is an indicator of the snow/rain line. Not pretty for many.

The NAO isn't even strong. It's negative right now going neutral. AO is going neutral and the PNA is positive with the MJO going into Phase 8. None of these suggest an inland bomb. Now, if the NAO and AO was really positive, then I would consider an inland runner. I know the NAO is east based but we have seen many storms in the past with an east based NAO. I think this storm is either going a coastal hugger or a coastal storm just offshore. Another thing is that the GFS and the ensembles have a nother high coming down, just in time for the storm. Another interesting thing.

The NAO isn't even strong. It's negative right now going neutral. AO is going neutral and the PNA is positive with the MJO going into Phase 8. None of these suggest an inland bomb. Now, if the NAO and AO was really positive, then I would consider an inland runner. I know the NAO is east based but we have seen many storms in the past with an east based NAO. I think this storm is either going a coastal hugger or a coastal storm just offshore. Another thing is that the GFS and the ensembles have a nother high coming down, just in time for the storm. Another interesting thing.

Yea ant, that high could prove to be a key difference maker.

some notes about the 12z GFS ensembles

at HR 84 all of the Surface Low on the Spag charts are faster (some much faster and all are NE of GFS OP

at HR 90 again all the members are faster and further NE most centered around eastern NC

at 96 again all are North or Northeast, spread widens here a fair amount of members near the Delmarva, another set further NE nearer the BM

at 102 things get a little out of hand again all are faster most due north of OP valid same time, almost all centered just off shore NJ or towards coastal NE

Though it has been said hundreds of times in the last day, people don't seem to want to believe that a retreating high brings e and se winds and turns the coastal plain to mix and then rain. Has been happening my whole life. The interior can do well, but not the coastal plain.

Amen, that's east coast reality, track means nothing without blocking to keep the cold air in place. No amount of CAD or transient arctic air is gonna stop those screaming E SE winds from raining.

some notes about the 12z GFS ensembles

at HR 84 all of the Surface Low on the Spag charts are faster (some much faster and all are NE of GFS OP

at HR 90 again all the members are faster and further NE most centered around eastern NC

at 96 again all are North or Northeast, spread widens here a fair amount of members near the Delmarva, another set further NE nearer the BM

at 102 things get a little out of hand again all are faster most due north of OP valid same time, almost all centered just off shore NJ or towards coastal NE

saw that too. gfs op was too fast, now it may be too slow. I still see the gefs as a good compromise for speed. The ggem is so slow and so amped its an outlier the other way. The ukmet now has a GA to BM track and it looks pretty cold but no way to know till better maps are out.

Datas is still in no mans land and until the northern stream gets into the us (we have seen that when it enters canada that still isn't good enough) the timing will come into much better agreement.

Can a moderator or someone with mod priveleges pleqase split out the nyc area from philly/pa area?. NYC/Philly area is too big an area for all posters to co-exist. We all want different things and this back and forth i need snow youve had enough is tiring and makes the thread impossible to read and get any good information out of.

I respectfully disagree....I think we get better analysis in one forum without splitting up the talent pool...we just need people talking less about themselves and more so about the bigger picture.

hahahahahahahahahahaahha rob g civilized? that site is the weenie capital of the world! is he still begging for money since he can't find a job?

i totally disagree with you but hey to each his own i guess

ps-- here is the radio show link if anyone wants to call in tonight (except thunder

road of course).................

http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/prometweatherblogs/12/2/4171/LIVE-RADIO-SHOW-TONIGHT-6:30-7:00PM...CALL-IN-TO-ASK-ME-&-THE-METS-QUESTIONS

while its just probably gefs sillyness, some of these solutions show that the slower track actually allows another HP to build in. There are so many players on this field this may be the most complicated setup we have had yet and that is saying a lot because this winter has shown some real doozies. Nothing can be discounted.

I know biases get too much airtime here, but let's take a step back for a minute:

We need a storm that is progressive and somewhat less organized.

The GFS has a storm is progressive and somewhat less organized (for the majority of runs anyway, today's 12z was a fairly amp'ed sol'n).

The GFS has a progressive and disorganization bias at this time frame.

The GGEM is over-phased and, therefore, an inland runner. The GGEM has a bias to over-phase storms (see 1/12 and 1/21).

So somewhere in the middle is probably the best track, a la all of the ensemble guidance. But we still have a H retreating too fast. Even the 12z GFS comes very close to BL issues, even with an OTS track.

It's not looking too god for the coastal plain imo. Inland is a different story.

Archived