158 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

VALID 12Z TUE JAN 25 2011 - 12Z SAT JAN 29 2011

12Z MODEL UPDATE... ALONG THE EAST COAST... THE GFS APPEARS TO

HAVE JOINED THE BANDWAGON OF THE OTHER 00Z GUIDANCE THROUGH ABOUT

00Z/WED WITH THE EMPHASIS ON THE SOUTHERN ENERGY THROUGH THE GULF

STATES. IT THEN TAKES THE LOW ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE

SPREAD WELL OUTSIDE THE BENCHMARK BEFORE REJOINING THE CONSENSUS

NEAR NOVA SCOTIA. THE 12Z CANADIAN CONTINUES ITS WESTERN TRACK

FROM WESTERN NC THROUGH DC THEN TO THE GULF OF MAINE BY 12Z/THU.

12Z UKMET SHIFTED ITS TRACK A BIT TO THE WEST OF ITS 00Z RUN AND

IS SLOWER AS WELL. 12Z GEFS MEAN SLOWED DOWN AS WELL AND MOVED

BACK TOWARD THE COAST BUT IS STILL QUICKER THAN THE 00Z ECMWF

ENSEMBLE MEAN. 12Z ECMWF CONTINUES ITS WOBBLE EAST OF EARLIER RUNS

AND NOW TAKES THE LOW VERY NEAR THE BENCHMARK BY 00Z/THU. AS HAS

BEEN THE CASE THIS WINTER... THESE COASTAL SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN

ANYTHING BUT EASY TO FORECAST. EARLIER FORECAST WAS WELL WITHIN

THE SPREAD SO NO CHANGES WERE MADE IN THE FINAL ISSUANCE. SYSTEM

DROPPING OUT OF CANADA LATE NEXT WEEK SHOWS GOOD 12Z GEFS MEAN

AGREEMENT WITH THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SO WILL LEAVE WELL

ENOUGH ALONE THERE AS WELL.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can help develop a baroclinic zone and in that sense develop a favored storm track, but snow cover doesn't "lock in" a certain track in any real way. I would say that an inland track isn't favored in this situation, but the low can certainly be close enough anyway to cause us to switch to rain.

The way I envision it, it's a small factor, but with so many different variables at work, one little thing can nudge it one way or another.

ECMWF QPF totals

EWR: 0.55"

LGA: 0.58"

JFK: 0.75"

HPN: 0.45"

ISP: 0.97"

MMU: 0.36"

SMQ: 0.38"

ABE: 0.20"

PHL: 0.59"

i have the maps and the 850's are fine but is that all wet heavy snow? btw, thoughts on the euro and gfs less amplication and a BM track? credible?

i have the maps and the 850's are fine but is that all wet heavy snow? btw, thoughts on the euro and gfs less amplication and a BM track? credible?

Away from the immediate shore, yes. For instance...OKX has a 700mb temp of -11 during the height of the storm but the surface below 925mb is a bit warm. Areas just inland like KEWR don't have that problem if you take the Euro verbatim. The surface there at it's warmest is just shy of 1 C.

And yes, it's certainly credible. The way it's handling the upper air trough seems good to me. What I was saying yesterday was that if the amplified solutions were to happen nobody had any chance. But we can try and pull out what I like to call a sh** show (big wet heavy snow).

imho, keep that same track but strengthen them a lot more. That should pull down colder air, like the previous inland bombs were showing.

Agree. Could easily see a stronger low, more precip, but also able to draw all that nice cold air up in canada and northern new york. Plus, with the new high building in, pressure gradient should increase so could see some nasty winds on the coast. Its not a classic/ideal setup, but snow begets snow, and it just wants to snow this year.I think this storm will be all inclusive, interior, coast, big cities, little town.

For what it's worth..the 87 hour 15z SREFS are an absolute wreck. Aside from a few members there is an extreme lack of organization and the members are clearly struggling with the dynamics this event is bringing to the table. It's probably going to be another 24 hours at least until we get a better picture as to what's going on with this event.

For what it's worth..the 87 hour 15z SREFS are an absolute wreck. Aside from a few members there is an extreme lack of organization and the members are clearly struggling with the dynamics this event is bringing to the table. It's probably going to be another 24 hours at least until we get a better picture as to what's going on with this event.

can you remember any storms off the top of your head that the models struggled this mightily with??

Sub 1000 low pretty much tracks directly over the benchmark. Good amount of snow from PHL northeast to NYC and SNE. 850 line is SE of Nantucket at that time.

Surface a bit warm like the OP.

Any idea how the ensembles look further south and west, hope they are a little further west then the op for places west of DC. Thanks.

Archived