Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL 1/25-27 potential Part III

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very happy with where the gfs is at this point (for n/w of 95, that is)...boxing day storm was very suppressed on gfs four days out...it caught on at 72-78 and then the gfs never looked back. Give it time...this is better than having a mecs right now given historical gfs trends and se bias.

I think it's time we split EPA from the coastal areas. Clearly our interests are not compatible for this storm

I think if the next couple model cycles come back to a warm solution for the coast we will need to do something like "I-95 & east" and "West of I-95". IMO

different look now on GFS, arctic high has retreated so far it is not even in the picture. Don't really like this new look with lack of cold air

The one above the great lakes seemed to have moved east a decent amount since last night. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but I thought it was over N Dakota. There were way too many things to read last night and very few images posted.

I did notice a high trying to trying nose in from over the great lakes at 108 hrs. That could save the coastal plain if it gets there in time.

A banana high would be quite ideal for all of us to remain cold enough, we'll see if that can happen.

You better hope the GFS finds a way to keep us snow, because if that comes closer to the coast most of us would be rain.

Yup, even with it that far off shore.....the rain/snow line was basically right along the coast....Again, the HP is sliding offshore which is allowing a warmer wind situation. ATM, to me, it looks as though this is not the coasts storm any way you slice it. Unless somehow we can get HP in a more favorable position.

Much warmer at the surface this run...near or above freezing for a while

Yes. The confluence responsible for supporting the cold high slides N and E as the northern stream shortwave and longwave trough in SErn Canada gets shunted further eastward this run.

This is problematic even if the low tracks a bit further eastward (which I think is flat out wrong).

The inherent problem is, either way, we lose the damming too quickly, and the coast is definitely dealing with big time mixing and even rain...not good.

Could I please get a met to explain why even with a good low track for the mid atl, it could still be rain? Phineas is making my head bleed in the dc thread by saying with this set up dc would be snow, even though I think that is really wrong.

The confluence responsible for supporting the cold high slides N and E as the northern stream shortwave and longwave trough in SErn Canada gets shunted further eastward this run. No cold air damming support, much less support for snow- even with an "ideal" track.

What about dynamics? If the low is strong enough, it could still snow if it can create its own cold air source, I've seen it happen countless times even with a lack of cold air. I don't think this is 100% rain by any means yet. Also, we have had snowstorms without blocking, just because we don't have blocking doesn't mean we can't get a storm.

DC does have a better chance of snow than NYC or Boston with this type of setup

Could I please get a met to explain why even with a good low track for the mid atl, it could still be rain? Phineas is making my head bleed in the dc thread by saying with this set up dc would be snow, even though I think that is really wrong.

Thanks guys...someone just mentioned that the storm moving closer to the coast, the mechanisms involved in that, would cause temps to crash? Is there any credence in the "storm creates it's own cold air" theory?

It can happen if the storm is strong enough and follows the perfect track. Upper levels have to be cold , though.

Archived