12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I threw out the 06z nam. the 03z srefs, ec, gfs are in decent agreement. this stuff is adding up quick.

What do you think of the radar right now?

I'm a bit concerned for a big hit to the NW of the sfc low at least until it reaches BGR...but its start to fill in fast....its just a bit concerning to me that the 00z NAM (with a few other models) and then the 06z NAM backed off a bit....but they all horrendously busted in NJ and NE MD.

Its a nasty system to forecast.

My vortmax rule of going S of SNE I think is safe...we won't see widespread 10" amounts because of that (but who knows, still a ways to go)....it goes too far NW. For you, its a bit dicier as the system matures a bit more.

I'm a bit concerned for a big hit to the NW of the sfc low at least until it reaches BGR...but its start to fill in fast....its just a bit concerning to me that the 00z NAM (with a few other models) and then the 06z NAM backed off a bit....but they all horrendously busted in NJ and NE MD.

My vortmax rule of going S of SNE I think is safe...we won't see widespread 10" amounts because of that (but who knows, still a ways to go)....it goes too far NW. For you, its a bit dicier as the system matures a bit more.

SSS?

I don't think it's time to panic yet. The 09z ruc is overdone with giving you 8-9" of snow...but it looks to maul you between 12z and 14z. If the radar sucks in an hour and a half then you know you're cooked...but wait til 12z.

I don't think it's time to panic yet. The 09z ruc is overdone with giving you 8-9" of snow...but it looks to maul you between 12z and 14z. If the radar sucks in an hour and a half then you know you're cooked...but wait til 12z.

Yeah I think we'll see the darkening radar on the west side of the precip shield as the low strengthens. It isn't ideal, but it usually happens pretty quickly anytime you get a rapidly strengthening low to the S of LI.

The radar shades all darken before it exits stage right. I'm def not looking for 9"...just looking for 6" as that would be perfect for my forecast of 4-8"...but anything in the 6-9" range would be preferable for me to satisfy both my snow addiction and forecast verification.

The ratios have got to be like 20 or 30 to 1 here (or there's tremendous wind, which there isn't)... cause the radar may look like rubbish by we got rates of near .75 inches+ per hour... measured 1.5-1.75, 45 minutes after measuring an inch... KLEB.

2 inches and I'm off to bed. Be interesting to see what falls when i wake up around 1.

Absolutely..I'll be pretty shocked if almost every site in SNE outside of SE mass doesn;'t grab at least 6

I think you'll find that the 4-8" was the better forecast....but we still have a few hours to go to see what happens.

You are the best optimistic forecaster on this board, but this one might have you respect the vortmax rule once its done. Now that I said that, we're going to see a 12/23/97 explosion on the radar in the next 90 minutes and have widespread 12"amounts, lol.

I think you'll find that the 4-8" was the better forecast....but we still have a few hours to go to see what happens.

You are the best optimistic forecaster on this board, but this one might have you respect the vortmax rule once its done. Now that I said that, we're going to see a 12/23/97 explosion on the radar in the next 90 minutes and have widespread 12"amounts, lol.

It could be 4-8 though I still think most folks get at least 6..and some will get 10..I think my high end numbers will end up being too high though. Still I feel pretty good all in all when most were settling on a 1-3 or 2-4 type event on Wednesday.

I guess I'm missing the fun by about 18 hours. Trying to make the most of my last hours in the tropics to the wonders of NE winter. Gather you folks out east and to the northeast cash in on this. Hopefully, I'l have a few good new inches when I get back to the Pit.

Then--bring on mid-wekk! Glad I'm not in Jamaica *if* that should verify. What a monster. But, I guess that's for another thread.

ENjoy the snow day!

Snowing pretty hard...piling up now.....9z RUC absolutely croaks us most of the morning. Would make 6-12 a lock. All the schools closed after waking up and looking out the window. Boston last night has probably been vindicated but still a wimpy move 12 hours early on a decent but not blockbuster storm.

models say your snowflakes should improve...but this might just be like the ol 12/13/07 baking soda bonanaza.

Its improved a lot in this band....much better than 12/13/07 baking powder shake-fest. But I'm skeptical that it sticks around...the RUC has much better lift moving overhead in the next 2-3 hours, so hopefully its all good from here on out.

But if 12/13/07 taught us anything, don't believe the cross sections until you actually see the dendrite landing on your coat sleeve. Remember how it showed decent dendrite growth? Then it was garbage for the actual event.

I think we talked about it on of our vintage late night '08 or '09 sprees...we usually want to see the lift very deep and pretty strong. You loved the 20 microbar per second threshold IIRC.

Archived