CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the NMM old v new (again look at the heavier echoes in the SW...and the firehose aimed at SE NE in the new one).

It looks too warm to me for the most part where this firehose is aimed, but if by miracle it ended up being colder someone will get smoked.

That is some nastiness coming in from the ocean.

I like that band being depicted in Western CT lol. It's been there on multiple models too..

Now the NMM old v new (again look at the heavier echoes in the SW...and the firehose aimed at SE NE in the new one).

It looks too warm to me for the most part where this firehose is aimed, but if by miracle it ended up being colder someone will get smoked.

That is some nastiness coming in from the ocean.

And how close the new looks to the American WRF. Nice.

One hell of a trailing cold front, though... all the way to Florida!

And how close the new looks to the American WRF. Nice.

The ARW totals will be ugly, it has one panel where 25 dbz echoes are anywhere in SNE and that's just down this way. The NMM is a little better for a panel.

If the ARW is right as parents are working from home with light snow falling for a few hours, then the sun comes out...they'll be wondering why school was cancelled at 7pm Thursday. In a way I'm kind of hoping this busts low, maybe it'll end the madness of cancelling school 6-12 hours before the heavier precip arrives.

The ARW totals will be ugly, it has one panel where 25 dbz echoes are anywhere in SNE and that's just down this way. The NMM is a little better for a panel.

If the ARW is right as parents are working from home with light snow falling for a few hours, then the sun comes out...they'll be wondering why school was cancelled at 7pm Thursday. In a way I'm kind of hoping this busts low, maybe it'll end the madness of cancelling school 6-12 hours before the heavier precip arrives.

Agreed..I don't understand the logic behind that.

yep its basically pooring crystals.

Yeah, we keep this up we'll get nice totals! :lol:

Once again I say it has much more to do with politics and ignorance than forecasts or actualized outcome. It is a lot easier to say cancel it, especially in this economic climate.

I'm not an expert but I think we can officially say (at least based on the 0z models) the "northern stream always digs more, NW trend at the last minute/meso models win, this that the other thing" FTL? I think it was the southern system driving the bus with the model volatility the last day or two, and when it crapped out so did all the models with it. Remains to be seen if this was right, RUC says no.

Either way, in fairness I'm posting everything for the record as I think this can be a good case study for a system that came together despite the models, or that fell apart against inflated notions.

Image is the ARW 24 accumulated precip, 12z was the heavy stuff, 0z is tonight.

EDITED to add the NMM same time frame

I like to think that it's because in this day in age, most families have two working parents and by calling it earlier, it gives them a chance to figure something out rather than doing it last minute.

I like to think that it's because in this day in age, most families have two working parents and by calling it earlier, it gives them a chance to figure something out rather than doing it last minute.

Agreed...many parents will be ticked off if this ends up 3" of fluff followed by partial sun by 1PM though. Can never please.

I love this ne wind down here, snow growth must be pretty damn good, and from this light snow, ratios must be amazing.

Radar looks like crap (and is so bad it is still in clean air mode) but we're squeezing something decent out of it. I am impressed and it may definitely bode well for us.

Kev talked about mets not doing their job in not pointing out the higher possibilities. Same goes for not pointing out the lower.

I had a friend tonight tell me he heard we were getting 6-12". I asked where he heard that, he said the web. I asked him to send me the web address...Hi Paul :thumbsup: ...had no idea he was on here. Think it doesn't spread like wildfire and that the hype doesn't echo it does.

As a working family it's great that they cancel early. But with a 4-6am start time and what was a slight trend downward that started at 18z, I don't get it. What are we teaching kids by folding at the slightest difficulty/bump in the road. The brutal cold Monday is likely to be a bigger threat to kids than this snow....I'd rather they call off school Monday.

GFS ensembles are way east of the OP for next week.

What are we teaching kids by folding at the slightest difficulty/bump in the road.

School districts may pull the trigger too soon, but:

#1 If there were a watch, warning, or even an advisory, and a bus went off the road or such, God forbid, the school district would be up to it armpits in lawyers, without a leg to stand on. Administrators are positively panic-stricken at the mere thought of litigation -- hence all those zero-tolerance rules that make the news.

#2 reason -- inexperienced drivers. In suburban/exurban/rural communities, a hundred sleep-deprived inexperienced young drivers, driving beaters, on balding tires, on snow.... it's not a calming thing to contemplate. See also #1.

Archived