• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

yes it does...because if the other models go east with the surface low like the NAM...the QPF and snow amounts will drop off considerably.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not sure it matters. We'll know in a few minutes I suppose, but the RUC looks more impressive with each run.

There's something wrong with the NAM (or worse the data/assimilation that's being fed across the board), been that way all year and tonight is probably the most graphic illustration. If it is indeed busting a 0h init, something is wrong terribly in the process.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes it does...because if the other models go east with the surface low like the NAM...the QPF and snow amounts will drop off considerably.

Wasn't the euro like .4 for bos? The gfs was like .5.

I haven't seen the specific total yet on that nam run...but eyeballing looks like .3 to .4.

I just think we are splitting hairs.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not sure it matters. We'll know in a few minutes I suppose, but the RUC looks more impressive with each run.

There's something wrong with the NAM (or worse the data/assimilation that's being fed across the board), been that way all year and tonight is probably the most graphic illustration. If it is indeed busting a 0h init, something is wrong terribly in the process.

Yeah, RUC looks great. Really goes to town with the CCB about 14-15z.

Wasn't the euro like .4 for bos? The gfs was like .5.

I haven't seen the specific total yet on that nam run...but eyeballing looks like .3 to .4.

I just think we are splitting hairs.

I guess so...the surface low jumping on the NAM jumping 50-100 miles ESE 12 hours into the run was a bit jarring...I just don't want such a trend to continue with the other models...which were already skimpier with QPF if you catch my drift. You probably want the 00z NAM to be right given your location lol.

I guess so...the surface low jumping on the NAM jumping 50-100 miles ESE 12 hours into the run was a bit jarring...I just don't want such a trend to continue with the other models...which were already skimpier with QPF if you catch my drift. You probably want the 00z NAM to be right given your location lol.

I doubt the 00z run is all that much better down my way. Maybe a tick better for a front end thump but the majority is still liquid most likely...and probably just more of it. Lol

Matt Noyes' latest forecast.. funny comment at the beginning about schools already canceling http://www.necn.com/...089&feedID=4699

he is leaving the door open for lower accums. "i know where hours away but accumulations are still very much a "variable" and the reason is because it depends on the storm going to town right when it hits the coast and pulling moisture in. the further east the more snow" basically what he said for those that may not have caught it.

official forecast cut amount 1 inch for max's in SNE but pushed "jpot area" east about 20 miles kinda like messenger has been harping on.

BOX update at 10:11

UPDATE...00Z NAM

JUST REVIEWED THE NEW 00Z NAM AND ITS LOWER QPF COMPARED TO PREVIOUS

RUNS FOR MUCH OF THE REGION. THE 00Z NAM APPEARS TO GENERATE LOTS

OF QPF /A SWATH OF 0.75 INCHES/ IN THE INSTABILITY AXIS ALONG THE

/PATH OF COASTAL LOW...TRACKING JUST SE OF ACK 12Z-15Z FRI. THIS

SEEMS TO YIELD LESS QPF IN THE COLD SECTOR OF THE STORM ACROSS

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

HOWEVER THE 00Z NAM CONTINUES TO SUGGEST ABOUT A 3 HR PERIOD FROM

12Z-15Z OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW BANDS FROM NORTHERN PORTIONS OF

CT AND RI AT 12Z THEN LIFTING NE INTO THE GREATER BOSTON AREA BY

15Z. THIS WOULD SUPPORT A PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACROSS

THIS REGION. THE 00Z NAM DOES GENERATES A LARGE SWATH OF ABOUT

0.35 INCHES OF LIQUID STORM TOTAL QPF ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION

FRI. THUS HIGH CONFIDENCE FOR WIDESPREAD 4 INCH AMOUNTS WITH LOWER

CONFIDENCE IN HIGHER TOTALS. NEVERTHELESS THE BULK OF THE

ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL OCCUR FROM 4 AM TO 10 AM.

FOR NOW WILL HOLD FIRM WITH PREVIOUS FORECAST AND WAIT TO EVALUATE

ALL NEW 00Z GUIDANCE INCLUDING RADAR AND SATELLITE TRENDS BEFORE

MAKING ANY CHANGES TO THE FORECAST. AS MENTIONED ABOVE THE 00Z NAM

MAY BE GENERATING TOO MUCH CONVECTIVE INDUCED QPF AND NOT ENOUGH

QPF IN THE COLD SECTOR. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW THE

DIFFERENT 00Z MODELS AND THEIR CONVECTIVE SCHEMES HANDLE THIS

SITUATION.-- End Changed Discussion --

Meh, this is the winter of "banding".

Its also the winter of overperformance, not because its magical, take a gander at sst's west of and on the GS. I have no doubt this little honey blows up, plenty of BZ to play off of, question is exactly where. And more importantly where banding sets up, I have not seen a uniform radar presentation this winter, and dont expect to see one tonight. Some will rejoice in dendrites, some will wonder where they are.

OKX did a great job, as they have all winter.

Ok, it will do what it's going to do. Fully expect to take 6-8" from this event, maybe another 1-3" tomorrow afternoon with the Arctic front. As I write I see the first , lonely renegade flakes drift down. Just a few precursor flakes as the atmosphere juices up. Soon it will be bombs away. I tidy little evnt ripping through,then Arctic air, then BIG WINTER INCOMING, BIG BIG WINTER!!!! GN, see you at 4:45-5:00 AM. Dream snow.

To be honest when I post thoughts or a forecast I don't feel like spending 15 minutes responding to getting lambasted. Especially when at work I have other things to be doing.

I hear all the time how so and so is friends with so and so, it's all fun, then read this. Which is it? If mets are being driven not to post because of weenies, whomever they may be, try to ignore the weenies. There's a button for it, too. So much drama here and I do not think anyone is ever lambasting someone else. For the most part it's healthy debates or total BS fun. If there is only total agreement no one will ever discover or learn anything. We appreciate the analysis and effort from Ryan and all mets. Keep it coming, please.

For BDR, 00z NAM...

110121/0800Z   8  05007KT  28.2F  SNOW    12:1| 0.1|| 0.1    0.012|| 0.01     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/0900Z   9  06009KT  28.2F  SNOW    12:1| 0.3|| 0.5    0.028|| 0.04     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1000Z  10  06008KT  28.2F  SNOW    14:1| 0.4|| 0.9    0.028|| 0.07     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1100Z  11  06008KT  28.2F  SNOW    19:1| 0.8|| 1.7    0.043|| 0.11     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1200Z  12  05007KT  28.0F  SNOW    20:1| 0.8|| 2.5    0.039|| 0.15     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
----------------------------------------------+----++-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---
110121/1300Z  13  04005KT  28.2F  SNOW    20:1| 0.6|| 3.1    0.031|| 0.18     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1400Z  14  01004KT  28.8F  SNOW    22:1| 0.3|| 3.5    0.016|| 0.20     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1500Z  15  31008KT  30.6F  SNOW     9:1| 0.1|| 3.5    0.008|| 0.20     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0
110121/1600Z  16  31011KT  30.7F  SNOW     0:1| 0.0|| 3.5    0.004|| 0.21     0.00|| 0.00    0.00|| 0.00   100|  0|  0

Whatever happens we need to hug the ratios. I won't get 20, but I would love to hang a 15/16 or something along those lines. Feels weird going into this with not a lot of clue as to what it'll turn out to be (in relative terms for the time until the event). I suppose that alone justifies Upton's conservative approach. GFS should be "fun".

Meh, this is the winter of "banding".

Its also the winter of overperformance, not because its magical, take a gander at sst's west of and on the GS. I have no doubt this little honey blows up, plenty of BZ to play off of, question is exactly where. And more importantly where banding sets up, I have not seen a uniform radar presentation this winter, and dont expect to see one tonight. Some will rejoice in dendrites, some will wonder where they are.

OKX did a great job, as they have all winter.

You need a CoT badge.

BOX update at 10:11

UPDATE...00Z NAM

JUST REVIEWED THE NEW 00Z NAM AND ITS LOWER QPF COMPARED TO PREVIOUS

RUNS FOR MUCH OF THE REGION. THE 00Z NAM APPEARS TO GENERATE LOTS

OF QPF /A SWATH OF 0.75 INCHES/ IN THE INSTABILITY AXIS ALONG THE

/PATH OF COASTAL LOW...TRACKING JUST SE OF ACK 12Z-15Z FRI. THIS

SEEMS TO YIELD LESS QPF IN THE COLD SECTOR OF THE STORM ACROSS

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

HOWEVER THE 00Z NAM CONTINUES TO SUGGEST ABOUT A 3 HR PERIOD FROM

12Z-15Z OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW BANDS FROM NORTHERN PORTIONS OF

CT AND RI AT 12Z THEN LIFTING NE INTO THE GREATER BOSTON AREA BY

15Z. THIS WOULD SUPPORT A PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACROSS

THIS REGION. THE 00Z NAM DOES GENERATES A LARGE SWATH OF ABOUT

0.35 INCHES OF LIQUID STORM TOTAL QPF ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION

FRI. THUS HIGH CONFIDENCE FOR WIDESPREAD 4 INCH AMOUNTS WITH LOWER

CONFIDENCE IN HIGHER TOTALS. NEVERTHELESS THE BULK OF THE

ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL OCCUR FROM 4 AM TO 10 AM.

FOR NOW WILL HOLD FIRM WITH PREVIOUS FORECAST AND WAIT TO EVALUATE

ALL NEW 00Z GUIDANCE INCLUDING RADAR AND SATELLITE TRENDS BEFORE

MAKING ANY CHANGES TO THE FORECAST. AS MENTIONED ABOVE THE 00Z NAM

MAY BE GENERATING TOO MUCH CONVECTIVE INDUCED QPF AND NOT ENOUGH

QPF IN THE COLD SECTOR. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW THE

DIFFERENT 00Z MODELS AND THEIR CONVECTIVE SCHEMES HANDLE THIS

SITUATION.-- End Changed Discussion --

Great stuff from Box...all I'd add is that the NAM problems start right at init (or I should say the RUC or NAM problems...we aren't sure which yet). The convective processes at the end come long after it's a disaster/a hero at 0h.

It would appear the Atari 2600 used to generate the B&W RGEM graphics has frozen. They're attempting a reboot....j/k.

Great stuff from Box...all I'd add is that the NAM problems start right at init (or I should say the RUC or NAM problems...we aren't sure which yet). The convective processes at the end come long after it's a disaster/a hero at 0h.

It would appear the Atari 2600 used to generate the B&W RGEM graphics has frozen. They're attempting a reboot....j/k.

They upgraded to a VIC-20 last week... some issues with the data-corder

Archived