CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-8 is most likely. There should be pretty solid ratios so even 0.30" is going to produce 4 or 5 inches. Someone will probably get lucky and pull off a nice lolli.

But there have been a few things going against a 10-12" total...

A) Vortmax core does not pass south of us...it either goes almost overhead or NW of us.

B. Speed of system...this is a 6-8 hour event for the meaningful snow.

C) No closed mid-level center (700mb)...this is related to the first point listed

The caveats are...

A) There's always exceptions....look at 12/23/97.

B. There is some hint that banding will occur in this storm, so anyone who gets a nice band for a couple hours will cash in

C) Small system with heavy dependency on vortmax interaction...so modeling will have trouble...which has been obvious by the flip flops we've seen in the past 36 hours.

At any rate, this should be a fun system to nowcast. Won't be a huge event most likely, but a nice moderate snowfall with perhaps a few surprises up its sleeve.

I feel better now (even if it is 4")

GN, good luck for those who need to do this for $$$

Don't let the bustards get you down

4-8 is most likely. There should be pretty solid ratios so even 0.30" is going to produce 4 or 5 inches. Someone will probably get lucky and pull off a nice lolli.

A) Vortmax core does not pass south of us...it either goes almost overhead or NW of us.

C) No closed mid-level center (700mb)...this is related to the first point listed

The caveats are...

B. There is some hint that banding will occur in this storm, so anyone who gets a nice band for a couple hours will cash in

C) Small system with heavy dependency on vortmax interaction...so modeling will have trouble...which has been obvious by the flip flops we've seen in the past 36 hours.

At any rate, this should be a fun system to nowcast. Won't be a huge event most likely, but a nice moderate snowfall with perhaps a few surprises up its sleeve.

Fantastic post, thank you. I hope you slept while you were gone.

And it was said earlier but what a band-y year.

After analyzing this, it appears to me - fwiw - that the differences are centered around the timing/speed at which cyclogen takes place. The 18z is about 3-4 hours faster, and the previous 12z about 4-5 hours faster. Either way, this run is 3-5 hours fastrt with the system's movement as a whole while maintaining the same deepening rate - that limits the QPF.

Is it right?

You are entirely correct on this one good sir. Today it has been atrocious. I really thought it had captured it again at 12z but nope. Amazing. Unlike some people I enjoy that part of the ride, too. It hasn't disappointed and has been fascinating even if it ends up breaking some hearts with the actual outcome. The system was a solid advisory and limited low-end warning event for some days ago...and that's what it is now. I still hope/think we can grab some nice ratios for some folks and see a couple strong totals.

I've always been the biggest fan of the NAM. I always liked the ETA. it had it's moments of horror but the NGM would always be there with the reliable 700mb RH fields to count/discount the ETA.

Something isn't right. My prediction is barring something getting squared away it'll be just as bad in subsequent patterns.

Channel 4 has 4-7 for most everyone with the mix line way down here. Harvey has it raining passed Bob in the morning. 2-5 for me more for Bob but a jackpot just north 4-8.

The caveats are...

Great points you bring up as usual.. It will be fun Nowcasting this.. I'll be up early and throught the event :snowman:

Fantastic post, thank you. I hope you slept while you were gone.

And it was said earlier but what a band-y year.

I did sleep after the 18z NAM until about the 00z NAM...now I can take this home to the finish. I didn't sleep enough before last storm.

Will when do you see the "meaningful" snow period starting for Orh/ Bos? i'd guess 3-4am respectively?

Yeah I think so...first flakes should be around 06z...but it will probably start as steady light snow. Should begin to pick up around 09z and the max should be from about 5-9am.

Archived