e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Friday, January 21st Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For southern areas there's always a threat of mixing. In fact I'm down to a slushy 2-3 inches on the ground now and it's continuing to melt. But where you are in NE Rhode Island I'd be worrying more about this storm passing too far SE than mixing.

Must have me confused with the other SnowMan...I am in NE Mass...

Must have me confused with the other SnowMan...I am in NE Mass...

How much snow did you get on the 26th of December, and last week? I only had a combined 13-14 inches from both storms..with rain mixed in and big ole dryslots because both storms tracked so close to the coast. As a snow lover I'd rather live on the North Shore than the South Coast. Except for the fact that swimming in the ocean isn't as fun with the colder water temps up there.

LOL which ignores the fact that the last three runs of the NAM have ticked SE towards all the other guidance....

Other guidance, right..... I can't remember which storm it was where the NAM was about 250 miles NW of all of the other guidance and it happened to verify....A storm where it took the Ukie until 6 hours out to finally get the track of the storm right? Ride the NAM until its wrong. It has been remarkable during this pattern, it nailed the Jan 12th storm's exact track about 48 hours out. I could def see a similar type deal to the Jan 12 noreaster, maybe a little less. 10-18 spot 20 amounts.

If the NAM showed a DUD and GFS showed a bomb, I would still say the same thing..

Thankfully the trend this year has been to the NW about 72 hours to 48 hours out. We are 72 hours out now, so why should we not expect a NW shift in the 00z and 12z models tonight and tomorrow?

Why shouldn't we ride the SREF, NAM combo until they are significantly wrong?

Other guidance, right..... I can't remember which storm it was where the NAM was about 250 miles NW of all of the other guidance and it happened to verify....A storm where it took the Ukie until 6 hours out to finally get the track of the storm right? Ride the NAM until its wrong. It has been remarkable during this pattern, it nailed the Jan 12th storm's exact track about 48 hours out. I could def see a similar type deal to the Jan 12 noreaster, maybe a little less. 10-18 spot 20 amounts.

If the NAM showed a DUD and GFS showed a bomb, I would still say the same thing..

Thankfully the trend this year has been to the NW about 72 hours to 48 hours out. We are 72 hours out now, so why should we not expect a NW shift in the 00z and 12z models tonight and tomorrow?

Why shouldn't we ride the SREF, NAM combo until they are significantly wrong?

Good luck with that one.

GYX:

"AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS AS THOUGH THE LOW WILL TRACK OUTSIDE OF

THE 40/70 BENCHMARK FRIDAY...AND THEN MOVE INTO THE CANADIAN

MARITIMES FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS TRACK WOULD PRODUCE ONLY A GLANCING

BLOW TO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH ANY PRECIPITATION BEING IN THE

FORM OF SNOW"

Appears they aren't riding the NAM until it's wrong.

And by the way, it wasn't exactly stellar today.....in fact if you look at the 8h scores it would have been probably an even split after 12z today on the 0z run.

GYX:

"AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS AS THOUGH THE LOW WILL TRACK OUTSIDE OF

THE 40/70 BENCHMARK FRIDAY...AND THEN MOVE INTO THE CANADIAN

MARITIMES FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS TRACK WOULD PRODUCE ONLY A GLANCING

BLOW TO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH ANY PRECIPITATION BEING IN THE

FORM OF SNOW"

Appears they aren't riding the NAM until it's wrong.

And by the way, it wasn't exactly stellar today.....in fact if you look at the 8h scores it would have been probably an even split after 12z today on the 0z run.

The Friday event is mainly a southern and Central new England threat

OKX left it even more wide open:

RIDGE BUILDS BRIEFLY WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY. THEN TROUGH

MOVING OUT OF THE PLAINS THURSDAY WILL DEVELOP A LOW OVER THE MID

ATLANTIC STATES THURSDAY NIGHT WITH A COASTAL LOW DEVELOPING LATER

THURSDAY NIGHT AND QUICKLY PASSING THE AREA FRIDAY. STILL SOME

MODEL UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK OF THE LOW...WITH THE GFS AND

ECMWF FARTHER EAST THAN THE NAM. WITH COLDER AIR BACK IN PLACE BY

THURSDAY NIGHT PRECIPITATION WILL BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW. THERE IS

A POT ENTAIL FOR AN ACCUMULATING SNOW...AND IF THE STORM TRACKS

FARTHER TO THE WEST THERE IS A CHANCE FOR A MORE SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL ACROSS THE REGION.