joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even low end threats had 2-4" with crappy ratios--I don't know where they got all rain from. The changeover threat has been on the table for days. These TV folks are pathetic.

at the surface the backend idea gained a lot of traction by later yesterday. in the end it's one of those things you gotta trust the 500 maps on i guess.

Even low end threats had 2-4" with crappy ratios--I don't know where they got all rain from. The changeover threat has been on the table for days. These TV folks are pathetic.

so-called "tv mets" are always playing the politics game, ESPECIALLY in DCA. Snow is a bad word there. They got school districts to make decisions on and snow removal costs money in an already severely strained recessionary economy. They only mention a snow threat when the models and reality twists their arm in a 720 movement and they are forced to admit that it will snow. That's the utterly agonizing pose they shall find themselves contorted into come tomorrow night.

I think it was Tasslemeyer in Baltimore. I used to live there, he's pretty good so that would make sense he caught on. He was the one who went all in Feb. 6 for like 20 to 30 inches hours and hours or days before any else.

Will be interesting how they handle it. I assume a lot will depend on what the morning runs show and if they hold. And, frankly, there is no way they are going to go on the air talking about a possible foot storm for fear of bust. My guess is they, as well as LWX, start preparing people for a possible 3 to 6 or 4 to 8 inch storm and see if it needs to be upped later in the day before the 6 p.m. news

Tasselmyer's 3-6" call was before the 0z runs, and he said that he'll have to keep revising them based on new info, so he definitely knows what he is doing and I think he will raise those totals.

What surprised me was not even a mention for accumulating snows in the western suburbs which are less certain to mix. The NBC 4 guy said "maybe Northern Montgomery county for some accumulating snow". He also said we had no chance of accumulating snow because the ground would be too wet from the rain. I am not sure where he got his "BS" degree in meteorology from...

Well I was going lowest end if the wave stayed farther SE with crappy ratios and some melting early on--which would have yielded a potential 2-4 or 3-5" depending on location going off 12/18Z data. That looks like it will be low by a decent amount with the latest NW tick on the positioning of the upper low--but saying it would be too wet for any snow is silly unless it came down at 1/4" snow per hour. Hard to say what some were thinking--I still think some may have been using critical thicknesses and MOS too much--as well as old data from a few days ago.

so-called "tv mets" are always playing the politics game, ESPECIALLY in DCA. Snow is a bad word there. They got school districts to make decisions on and snow removal costs money in an already severely strained recessionary economy. They only mention a snow threat when the models and reality twists their arm in a 720 movement and they are forced to admit that it will snow. That's the utterly agonizing pose they shall find themselves contorted into come tomorrow night.

This is only partially true. TV casters play no role in VDOT operations. In fact, VDOT uses a private wx corporation as well as NWS for decision making.

Well I was going lowest end if the wave stayed farther SE with crappy ratios and some melting early on--which would have yielded a potential 2-4 or 3-5" depending on location going off 12/18Z data. That looks like it will be low by a decent amount with the latest NW tick on the positioning of the upper low--but saying it would be too wet for any snow is silly unless it came down at 1/4" snow per hour. Hard to say what some were thinking--I still think some may have been using critical thicknesses and MOS too much--as well as old data from a few days ago.

I think a lot take their cues from LWX as well, and they also were downplaying this event all day. They also are going to have to do a big 1-80 by at least putting up some watches in a few hours. LWX will then still have to evening to decide on who, if anyone, should get a warning.

:o

post-1069-0-96531000-1295942624.gif

post-1069-0-36271200-1295941596.gif

To put in in perspective, this is what Capital Weather was thinking at 12 PM yesterday:

Next accumulating snow chance: Late Tues. night-Wed. night

Probability of more than 1" of snow: 40-45%

Probability of more than 4": 15-20%

http://voices.washin...ignfi.html#more

What an amazing difference 12 hours can make. It feels like January 25.

Whoever is inside the green zone is in the red zone for 4"+ of snow, meaning 70%+, and DC is on the red line.

To put in in perspective, this is what Capital Weather was thinking at 12 PM yesterday:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2011/01/near_rain-snow_line_for_signfi.html#more

whoa. whoa.

1st whoa was because of that map

2nd whoa is because my ass is STILL up at 3 am and I have to go to work in 5 hours

We weren't actually that far off from HPC. The blue zone is what our 15-20% probability of 4" or more applied to (I realize that's now 8").

Whoever is inside the green zone is in the red zone for 4"+ of snow, meaning 70%+, and DC is on the red line.

http://voices.washin...ignfi.html#more

One would hope they have been paying attention. The 0Z suite was not even close to the first to suggest a threat. Honestly the TV weathercasters who still have all rain should be fired.

This....seriously, people have been talking about the potential for DAYS now (even when some of the deterministic model runs were either a bit east or warm....there was plenty of evidence to pay attention).

Doesn't the 6z nam have a strong bias SE compared to its other suites? Just curious.

I do know the NAM did this about 36 hours before the December 19th storm last winter for one run and I think it was the 6z also. Pretty much all guidance is aligned now, SREFS, RGEM, GFS, EC, UKMET, 0z NAM, NOGAPS... versus 6z NAM

oh and the new 3z SREFS look the same as the 21z and do not hint as something like the NAM. Its a fluke run.

Archived