joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the "nooks and crannies" of the poconos, yes. Not on the wide open mountain tops. Also, the large open "valley" areas are prone to air temperatures "mixing", causing warming too. It is the valley areas where the cold air can settle in and the warm air doesn't mix down in right away that hold on the ice the longest.

In any event I might still have a good shot at ice...I'm a little lower than the city of Hazleton itself.

Looks like sleet to me even a bit inland given the mid level warm air advection. There's a clear warm nose even at 850-925mb and that's enough for sleet. At 36 hours 850 temps are above zero for much of the area away from the real "interior"...which has a borderline snow sounding still.

This storm is starting to remind me a bit of VD '07.

Yes.. it is customized to your location with closest climate data and advection sites upstream etc. Plus the program "learns" from comparing actual (weather station) vs. forecast to try and hone in on any bias with forecasts.

Paul

When you purchase the program it is customized to your individual location. Lat Long elevation climate etc.

gets to only +.9 at any level by 1pm on Tuesday and is still below freezing at the surface in NW NJ (Andover K12N). This is VERY close to a major snow storm in NW NJ now.

QPF way up from earler NAM runs. May be going back the wet idea in a typical overdone NAM way. Notice the incredible 700VV. Dynamic cooling. With that and that heavy precip I would think this is heavy wet snow vs ice in NW NJ and NE PA. That is just a comment verbatim the 0z NAM. Freezing rain tends to do its most damage at lighter precip rates over an extended period of time. To hard and to fast and it has a hard time building up on surfaces.

I ran Andover and all layers are below freezing until 10am and it looks like about .5 has already fallen by then. Ground temps remain below freezing until 1pm at Andover.

Looks like sleet to me even a bit inland given the mid level warm air advection. There's a clear warm nose even at 850-925mb and that's enough for sleet. At 36 hours 850 temps are above zero for much of the area away from the real "interior"...which has a borderline snow sounding still.

I ran Andover and all layers are below freezing until 10am and it looks like about .5 has already fallen by then. Ground temps remain below freezing until 1pm at Andover.

Keep in mind WAA is usually underdone by the models, hence why some of these events produce snow well earlier than forecast but also why they often also switch over to ZR/PL further NW than modeled and sometimes sooner.

What I think is going on is that the storm to the west keeps weakening and the storm to our southeast keeps strengthening. I still think there will be a mix but I think a Winter Storm Watch is in order for Northern NJ at this point.

Keep in mind WAA is usually underdone by the models, hence why some of these events produce snow well earlier than forecast but also why they often also switch over to ZR/PL further NW than modeled and sometimes sooner.

through hr 42 kfwn only has 1 layer (900) at .2.  not saying nam is right but that could easily be all snow through hr 42 based on nam

This storm is starting to remind me a bit of VD '07.

I was without power 5 days and physically unable to crack the ice to get my car out of the garage for 4 data here in MDT. I hope this isn't the same storm here, quite a few people died stuck in ice. NAM looks better out this way, in terms of holding off zr.

Usually I hold onto the last shred of hope here in sw nassau Cnty, (5 miles from JFK).

This time around I'm conceeding, maybe an inch of snow then a litlle sleet then rain....onto later in the week when it could get exciting yet once again..

This event tomm night into late tues night is not going to be for us.

Usually I hold onto the last shred of hope here in sw nassau Cnty, (5 miles from JFK).

This time around I'm conceeding, maybe an inch of snow then a litlle sleet then rain....onto later in the week when it could get exciting yet once again..

This event tomm night into late tues night is not going to be for us.

it was never supposed to be for us (basically south/east of 202).

but with the NAM coming around to the GFS/ARW/NMM i think hops should be up, not down

through hr 42 kfwn only has 1 layer (900) at .2.  not saying nam is right but that could easily be all snow through hr 42 based on nam

Fair enough. That's probably a snow sounding.

Important, as you alluded to, to take this run with a grain of salt. The NAM is notorious for being too cold in these types of mid level WAA.

Looking at the intense 700mb vertical velocities over NW NJ and the fact that almost all layers remain less than +1, and the position of that the low off the coast, does this not scream of a heavy wet snow event with temperatures only rising after the snow slows down? Just wondering what the mets think.

verbatim....

at KABE 0.28" falls as snow, 0.57" falls as ZR, and 0.20" falls as rain.

That's pretty nasty if it materializes as modeled on tonight's 0z NAM.

for Philly, it's not much better than previous runs wrt to temps.

only 0.05" as snow, then the rest (1.11") as rain. The surface warms up from 28.2° to 34.9° between 6z and 12z. So there could be some IP/ZR in that period, but nothing crippling imo.

Archived