12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i could be wrong about this, but wasnt it much colder out of front of the v-day storm?

850 temps were/are near -3 to -5C in both when the precip arrives, surface was colder...the difference is this event the surface low until this run was not strong enough nor the high positioned well enough to get that ageostrophic component going where you might be able to hold the NE wind on the coast.

The coast continues to need a very early initiation to the snow arriving....look at the 00Z NAM at hour 30 and see how little it generates over the Metro...now look at both links below, look at the depiction at 12Z on 12/14/03 and then look at the radar at the same time....we need THAT to occur again...notice though how much better the high location was in 2003 vs. this event...its not 1,000 mile difference but its around 100-150...that makes more difference than you would imagine.

http://www.meteo.psu...2003/us1214.php

KDIX-1300Z-14Dec03.gif

From BUFKIT. PHL and ILG get about an inch of snow, RDG+MDT get about 2 inches while ABE gets 5. ABE starts as snow has 3 hrs of FR and then goes back to snow between 7 and 10AM. ABE is very close to an all snow event. With a near freezing profile. RDG+MDT are hurt by a shallow warm layer at 950. Without that they would be close to all snow also.

The coast continues to need a very early initiation to the snow arriving....look at the 00Z NAM at hour 30 and see how little it generates over the Metro...now look at both links below, look at the depiction at 12Z on 12/14/03 and then look at the radar at the same time....we need THAT to occur again...notice though how much better the high location was in 2003 vs. this event...its not 1,000 mile difference but its around 100-150...that makes more difference than you would imagine.

http://www.meteo.psu...2003/us1214.php

KDIX-1300Z-14Dec03.gif

H5 looked much stronger during that storm so I assume the WAA precip would be as well.

This storm looks like a disorganized mess at H5....or maybe Im just used to seeing mega vorts associated with KU's guitar.gif

H5 looked much stronger during that storm so I assume the WAA precip would be as well.

This storm looks like a disorganized mess at H5....or maybe Im just used to seeing mega vorts associated with KU's guitar.gif

Thats why I mentioned yesterday a SW flow would be better, because the 500 dynamics would have been stronger early enough for the high to still help us out.

HPN is at 33-34 when the heaviest QPF arrives. While the mid and lower levels are torching, if the surface is a few degrees colder than modeled...watch out

Cutting it very close

What is amazing to me is that we went from a mostly western dominant low, to a low that is now dominant off the coast of NJ, with almost complete transfer of energy from the western low, which is now much further to the south in Indiana and Ohio, transferring energy to off the coast of NJ. Will this be enough to make this a snow event NW of the cities? It is getting really close.

Archived