• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

at 30 hours, 850 mb zero line is across northern Orange county through central Putnam county. zero 2M line is through central bergen county and central westchester county.

For those in eastern PA, the zero 2M Temp line pretty much hangs out about KTTN and points due west,southwest from there, with 850 mb zero line well north, so it would be consistant with fairly significant icing

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 30 hours, 850 mb zero line is across northern Orange county through central Putnam county. zero 2M line is through central bergen county and central westchester county.

For those in eastern PA, the zero 2M Temp line pretty much hangs out about KTTN and points due west,southwest from there, with 850 mb zero line well north, so it would be consistant with fairly significant icing

With the 12z NAM total precip thru 30 is 0.92 at KSWF

I'm not to familiar with some of the locations by designation. i know MPO is Mt. Pocono and EWR is Newark but could someone please tell me what the designation is for places like Oakland, West Milford, Pompton Plains area.

That's kind of in an inbetween area.. You have KMMU (Morristown) which is about 25 miles south.. probably your best bet, because it is about the same distance west of NYC

That's kind of in an inbetween area.. You have KMMU (Morristown) which is about 25 miles south.. probably your best bet, because it is about the same distance west of NYC

I'm in the same boat up in here in Ringwood. There's really no great comparable station nearby weather-wise. Morristown is probably the best, but there are still subtle differences (elevation, latitude, etc.) that don't make it perfect for forecasting purposes.

For those areas and mine (Wayne), I've always used a blend of KMMU (Morristown) and KCDW (Essex County Airport\Caldwell) numbers. It seems to work out even though we are bit north\higher in elevation than both airports.

dont know about that, having grown up in the area kmmu seems to not do as well as the areas listed above.  I usually use a mix of kfwn and kmmu.   Espc. with these changeover storms.

I'm in the same boat up in here in Ringwood. There's really no great comparable station nearby weather-wise. Morristown is probably the best, but there are still subtle differences (elevation, latitude, etc.) that don't make it perfect for forecasting purposes.

Same thing here, In Oak Ridge (Jefferson TWP in Morris co) I split the differenc from mmu and fwn . lol

BTW It suks not getting bukit for some place out here like kfwn

I'm not to familiar with some of the locations by designation. i know MPO is Mt. Pocono and EWR is Newark but could someone please tell me what the designation is for places like Oakland, West Milford, Pompton Plains area.

They do not have a symbol for every little town. Closest to you are Morristown (MMU I believe) and Sussex (Which I forgot but DDR sticks in my mind)

Ringwood/West milford is much more similar to Sussex/Andover if you ask me than Morristown due to elevation differences. If its snowing in Sussex and mixing/raining in MMU chances are its snowing in West Milford

I'd go with the GFS, the NAM always overdoes QPF.

That being said, my forecast:

2-4" of snow/sleet for NYC with less than half the event being liquid. ZR concerns are mostly unwarranted besides a 5-10 mile band, which will (IMO) set up just N of the city.

5-10 mile band of ZR? where are you getting that idea from?

The more I look at this, the more I think a significant ice event is becoming LIKELY for NW NJ and the Hudson Valley...

5-10 mile band of ZR? where are you getting that idea from?

The more I look at this, the more I think a significant ice event is becoming LIKELY for NW NJ and the Hudson Valley...

Agreed. And the problem is that it's very hard to determine exactly where the ice/no ice line will set up, since a few tenths of a degree can make all the difference. If I were on shift at NWS today, I would rather overwarn for ice than underwarn.

Commute wise, I know as a fact, having spun out without hitting anything near Saratoga Springs, just because air temp has risen slightly above freezing, doesn't mean the ground isn't still cold enough to accumulate ice for a while.

I see NYC, especially the suburbs, as a problem between 4 am and 7 am, ie, commute time.

Archived