NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is most likely too warm

GFS is most likely too cold

Take a blend and call it a day

You are right. Honestly, what more can be done at this point. You got people bashing others here because they aren't running with the GFS, it may be right, or it may be wrong. No one can say for sure at this point. A compromise at this point is the safest way to go, either way GFS or NAM, its not a pretty picture for eastern PA, interior NJ, the Hudson Valley and much of CT.

Looking at the station plot just posted you are probably correct in that it's just light and variable at this point...However, I was going off the Rutgers Gardens site which shows a clear windshift taking place.

wind_dir.png

I'm not saying there is no wind shift. What I'm saying is, even if the wind went DUE South and was only 2 or 3 MPH, I don't think it would matter.

I'm not saying there is no wind shift. What I'm saying is, even if the wind went DUE South and was only 2 or 3 MPH, I don't think it would matter.

Oh ok, well obviously I know 0-5mph is miniscule, I was hoping we could hold onto a northeasterly component through much of the storm though so that maybe a lot of areas could be surprised. It may be 0-5mph out of the east now, but when the winds are blowing a little harder later, were cooked with that direction(at least I am, but I never have nuch of a chance in these setups anyway so I can't say I'm surprised).

Oh ok, well obviously I know 0-5mph is miniscule, I was hoping we could hold onto a northeasterly component through much of the storm though so that maybe a lot of areas could be surprised. It may be 0-5mph out of the east now, but when the winds are blowing a little harder later, were cooked with that direction(at least I am, but I never have nuch of a chance in these setups anyway so I can't say I'm surprised).

When the winds increase, we'll see what happens. The coastal low will also be developing too.

When the winds increase, we'll see what happens. The coastal low will also be developing too.

That we will, should help bring a more northeasterly component to the wind hopefully. However, I'm not sure it will matter because if you trace the streamlines back, the air blowing on northeasterly winds is originating from the ocean and southeast of the low pressure with the high center drifting offshore.

ZONAL FLOW ALOFT...WITH GUSTY DOWN SLOPING NW WINDS IN THE LOW

LEVELS...WILL YIELD A DRY BUT COLD DAY. BLENDED MET AND MAV

GUIDANCE WITH A MIX DOWN FROM 850 HPA (PER BUFKIT

SOUNDINGS)...WITH TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL

Gotta love this nugget from OKX! SLIGHTLY below normal? 12 degrees below normal is slightly according to them now! Wow!

ZONAL FLOW ALOFT...WITH GUSTY DOWN SLOPING NW WINDS IN THE LOW

LEVELS...WILL YIELD A DRY BUT COLD DAY. BLENDED MET AND MAV

GUIDANCE WITH A MIX DOWN FROM 850 HPA (PER BUFKIT

SOUNDINGS)...WITH TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL

Gotta love this nugget from OKX! SLIGHTLY below normal? 12 degrees below normal is slightly according to them now! Wow!

plenty of cold air in place and I think some NWS Offices may be downplaying this event. Watch for more WSWs and Ice Storm Warnings to go up later tonight.

That we will, should help bring a more northeasterly component to the wind hopefully. However, I'm not sure it will matter because if you trace the streamlines back, the air blowing on northeasterly winds is originating from the ocean and southeast of the low pressure with the high center drifting offshore.

In Holmdel, a NE wind blows off Sandy Hook Bay. In Newark/Elizabeth, a NE wind blows off SW CT.

Alpha - wow, talk about model spread - you're either going to get a foot of snow or an inch of snow and then a deluge of rain. Makes forecasting easy, lol.

laugh.gif Yeah for some reason my area always seems to be on the border in these situations.....

I think we see 1-3 of snow then a prolonged period of freezing rain due to the entrenched lower level cold. Theres still over a foot of snow on the ground here and temps have been in the tank the past week or so....so surface stays around 30-31 while the mid levels go to about 4-5c. Maybe a period of rain at the end when the cold is finally uprooted....

Should be fun to track

In Holmdel, a NE wind blows off Sandy Hook Bay. In Newark/Elizabeth, a NE wind blows off SW CT.

That's actually not my point...And a northeast wind is great for me just like it is in the places you mentioned, cause it usually originates over New England when you trace the streamlines back, especially when there is a high parked in SE Canada. However, by the time this storm is coming up the coast tonight/tomorrow, those stream lines whether or not it is northeasterly over our region, are not supplying cold air for us according to the models with the high offshore. There are actually southerly winds across the rest of New England scouring out the cold air. On the bright side, all the offshore buoys I looked at have air temps in the mid-upper 20s with dew points in the mid teens.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ETAPA_12z/etaloop.html

Archived