Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z total QPF GFS by precip type through 6z 1/19 - basically indicates quite a bit of snow followed by quite a bit of ice just north and west of NYC. Also says Warren, Morris, Sussex, Passaic and Bergen counties on north and west see not a drop of plain rain.

ne.gfsacctype12-15.gif

yea but GFS is notorious for not picking up on the warm air injecting northward in these type of setups, where the cold air is thin. it tends to hang on to the cold too long.

yea but GFS is notorious for not picking up on the warm air injecting northward in these type of setups, where the cold air is thin. it tends to hang on to the cold too long.

When you compare it to the same map for the 12z NAM, its not much different, the main difference is that it falls more as freezing rain instead of snow which in this case is fine for me since I've been rooting for a major ice storm ever since it became clear that 12+" of snow was off the table. I'd take 0.5" of ice over 5" of snow any day of the week.

12z Nam

ne.namacctype12-15.gif

I'm liking the idea of an inverted trough situation following the lead s/w moving thru later tonight. Once temps crash late Tuesday, another meso snowband could setup across the region.

The CRAS short range shows this well, but I never would trust this model's thermal profiles. It has the hi-res so it sniffs these small scale features rather notably:

cras45na_slp_060m.gif

cras45na_slp_066m.gif

Now the longer range CRAS is usually overphased solutions, but this is eye candy:

cras45na_slp_084m.gif

When you compare it to the same map for the 12z NAM, its not much different, the main difference is that it falls more as freezing rain instead of snow which in this case is fine for me since I've been rooting for a major ice storm ever since it became clear that 12+" of snow was off the table. I'd take 0.5" of ice over 5" of snow any day of the week.

12z Nam

ne.namacctype12-15.gif

nam is further north with the rain and freezing rain in NJ.

I'm liking the idea of an inverted trough situation following the lead s/w moving thru later tonight. Once temps crash late Tuesday, another meso snowband could setup across the region.

The CRAS short range shows this well, but I never would trust this model's thermal profiles. It has the hi-res so it sniffs these small scale features rather notably:

Now the longer range CRAS is usually overphased solutions, but this is eye candy:

cras45na_slp_084m.gif

Eye candy if you like rain?

That's not a good Low position nor is there any hint of redevelopment... but the inverted trough would be nice.

Mt. Holly upgraded some areas (northern counties) to a WSW for 3-6" of snow, then some ice accrual. :thumbsup:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

237 PM EST MON JAN 17 2011

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-060>062-180400-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WW.Y.0004.110118T0600Z-110118T1800Z/

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0003.110118T0300Z-110118T2100Z/

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...

JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...

EASTON

237 PM EST MON JAN 17 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM

EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND ICE...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM

THIS EVENING TO 4 PM EST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS

NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND THEN POSSIBLY ONE-TENTH

TO ONE-QUARTER OF AN INCH OF GLAZE.

* TIMING: SNOW BEGINS BETWEEN 1000 PM AND MIDNIGHT...THEN

CONTINUES INTO THE MORNING COMMUTE. THE SNOW WILL MIX WITH AND

CHANGE TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BETWEEN 700 AM AND 1000

AM...THEN CHANGE TO PLAIN RAIN AS TEMPERATURES RISE ABOVE

FREEZING LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS: HIGH CONFIDENCE THAT TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AND DIFFICULT

TUESDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

<br />I'm not sure if your familiar with the Easton/Wilson area SD, but the last event we had, EASD was the only district closed; yet Wilson SD which is literally a block away from EASD, had a delayed opening. Quite humorous.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not to be offtopic, but i just saw this post and thought id clarify. Im a senior at Wilson, and we in fact did indeed close. Unfortunately it did take until after 7am for the decision to be made. On another side note, Bethlehem was the only public school district in the valley not to close, at least according to the Morning Call. Again, sorry for offtopic, just wanted to clarify. Hopefully this next storm is either more of a snow dropper or a rain dropper...not a fan of the ice!

Why are we discussing schools in this thread? I think a mod should split it off into a different thread.

Exactly. Nobody took the time to answer your question regarding elevation and changeover, but will freely discuss school closings, which don't belong in a storm threat thread.

laugh.gif Yeah for some reason my area always seems to be on the border in these situations.....

I think we see 1-3 of snow then a prolonged period of freezing rain due to the entrenched lower level cold. Theres still over a foot of snow on the ground here and temps have been in the tank the past week or so....so surface stays around 30-31 while the mid levels go to about 4-5c. Maybe a period of rain at the end when the cold is finally uprooted....

Should be fun to track

I think you may be disappointed... low level cold is pretty easy to scour out for the coastal plain. I've learned to never rely on the strength of antecedent cold in these situations.

Archived