• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

You might get a bit more snow than I do up by HPN, although I do live at 350' elevation which may increase the icing here relative to other parts of Southern Westchester. I think 2-4" is a solid forecast as well as the .1-.25" ice; the radar looks fairly juicy and is moving quickly towards our area. This is a good sign, as we need the precipitation to march northward quickly before the mid-levels warm too much and we are stuck with IP/ZR. We're definitely guaranteed to start with some decent snows and then flip to ice for a bit. We'll see how it plays out, I'm staying up for a while to follow it.

23.5/13 here...

Still holding at 19 here at KSWF. Temp.has held there for the last 6 hours.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched Jeff Smith on Ch 7 before and He has Wintry Precip starting by Midnight and staying Frozen until at least 9 Am in My area and Noon a little further North.. That is 9 to 12 hrs of Frozen Precip yet He has only 1 to 3 in Accumulation. The only way that happens is if it changes to Freezing Rain fairy Quickly which a 6 hr period of Freezing Rain will cause Major Problems.. I think this storm still has a few Surprises in store..24 degrees at 6:30 will be interesting to see if Temp drops much more before onset of Precip..

Remember, 1" of snow is ~0.1" liquid and 1" of sleet is ~0.4" liquid, so 2" of sleet/snow could easily be 0.5" liquid, although you're absolutely right that if much of that is freezing rain, we're in for a world of hurt.

How much snowcover (if any) will Central Park have after this event?

The park reported 4" remaining today. I'm guessing we'll see about 2" before a changeover... but by Wednesday, there should still be 2-3" of glacial snowpack left. The temps should stay cold enough (sub 35) for the storm that I don't think we'll see much melting.

Sl

Sleet is royally useless form of precipitation

Have to disagree - loved VD 2007, as we got 6-7" sleet, if I recall correctly - was pretty cool. Maybe not quite as good as snow, but still way better than rain (I also made an error in my bulk density comment, as sleet is usually 2-3:1 ratio of sleet to liquid, not the 4:1 I mentioned).

I have a hard time imagining losing most or all of the snowpack here. We have about 8-9" of snow on the ground on my lawn, which I imagine is at least 1.25-1.50" of liquid equivalent (it's somewhat compacted), so if we get ~0.3" as frozen precip followed by another ~0.9" of liquid at 35-40F, that would make about 0.9" liquid on top of about 1.6" frozen and I think the frozen could absorb most of the liquid - whatever we have after Wednesday afternoon will truly be cement.

How much snowcover (if any) will Central Park have after this event?

The park reported 4" remaining today. I'm guessing we'll see about 2" before a changeover... but by Wednesday, there should still be 2-3" of glacial snowpack left. The temps should stay cold enough (sub 35) for the storm that I don't think we'll see much melting.

I've been updating the snow depth at Central Park and tomorrow will be the 24th day with at least an inch on the ground during the day...If we get 2" of snow and ice it should bring the snow depth to 5-6" before the rain comes...usually 3" of snow can absorbed 1" of rain...That will leave 2-3" of ice/snow left...Wednesday should see more melting and by Thursday night there should be 1-2" left before the next event...

Have to disagree - loved VD 2007, as we got 6-7" sleet, if I recall correctly - was pretty cool. Maybe not quite as good as snow, but still way better than rain (I also made an error in my bulk density comment, as sleet is usually 2-3:1 ratio of sleet to liquid, not the 4:1 I mentioned).

sleet is virtually impossible to plow effectively or shovel, it has no use at all but to be a pain in the ass.

Kingwill...I dont think Somerset County is going to have freezing precip until 9 AM, thats seems very late in the game.

i know they were under a WWA, for what that's worth.

DC's forecast

Overnight: Freezing rain and sleet before 1am, then rain or freezing rain. Low around 31. Northeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Never supposed to be any snow

it may be true, but that forecast is as of 919pm, when it had already flipped. i know it started as snow there

DC's forecast

Overnight: Freezing rain and sleet before 1am, then rain or freezing rain. Low around 31. Northeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Never supposed to be any snow

From the 9:20pm update of Mt Holly's AFD:

THE SHORT WAVE ROUNDING THE BOTTOM OF THE LONG WAVE TROUGH OVER

THE SOUTHEAST STATES IS FORCING THE AREA OF PRECIPITATION. THE

OVERALL FORECAST PHILOSOPHY HAS NOT CHANGED. IT WOULD APPEAR AS

THOUGH THE MID LEVEL FORCING SHOULD CROSS THE FORECAST AREAS

BETWEEN 0800 UTC AND 1400 UTC TUESDAY.

AT THAT TIME...AN ISOTHERMAL COLUMN MAY RESULT IN LOCALLY HEAVY

SNOW LATER TONIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING ACROSS THE LEHIGH

VALLEY...SOUTHERN POCONOS AND NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY. RIGHT

NOW...THE FORECAST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS LOOK GOOD...AND NO CHANGES

ARE NEEDED AT THIS TIME.

FURTHER SOUTH...THE MAIN FORECAST PROBLEM WILL BE THE PHASE CHANGE.

BASED ON THE CURRENT MOVEMENT OF THE MID LEVEL WARM WEDGE...THE

CHANGE TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN LOOKS ON TRACK. MODEL SOUNDINGS

SHOW THE CHANGE OCCURRING IN THE LOWER DELAWARE VALLEY AND SOUTHWEST

NEW JERSEY BETWEEN 0600 UTC AND 0900 UTC. AFTER THIS...THE WARM

WEDGE SHOULD RESULT IN FREEZING RAIN.

TEMPERATURES ARE SLOWLY RISING IN MOST PLACES...AND THIS SHOULD BE

THE TREND FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT.

Archived