joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Jan 17-19 Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he meant the ice issues would be more severe in the Lehigh Valley than where he's at.

Yeah, I kind of ordered my phrases incorrectly I guess. I wasn't disagreeing. I guess that is why a few other people posted with odd replies to my post. haha. I'm sure the forecast would show more ice north of his location, especially in the LV.

My side note was that my gut is telling me that a significant ice event probably will not occur, although the potential certainly exists.

The internet doesn't always deliver my thoughts properly. :rolleyes:

Is Penn Dot thinking a mess here in Berks? Are they brining the roads?

I sure hope they have the sense to brine the roads for this one. I'll be out driving on 33 and 78 tomorrow. I'll let you know when I get home if they are brined. I think as long as they are brined and they keep salting them, they should be able to keep the highways just wet.

If anyone out there has a contact with OKX, when you are on their home page and under Top News Of The Day, the title " WINTER PRECIP POSSIBLE LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY" the link is not working. The other topics under that one work ok. Maybe other folks can try it out too. I sent a storm report with comments to them about this.

OKX is aware of that link not working. They hope to have it fixed soon.

NYC isn't getting another significant snowstorm. Why would there be discussion... :whistle:;)

The reason there's not much discussion is that the vast majority of posters in this sub-forum are from the 5 Boroughs and LI, places that aren't likely to see much icing due to their proximity to the ocean. I'd personally like to have a bit more commentary on the Tuesday threat, as I live at 350' elevation in Westchester County and am expecting a messy situation with my work potentially being cancelled. I think people are also exhausted from the near constant tracking since the Boxing Day Blizzard, and of course the fact it's a long weekend. We're a bit spoiled with expecting every event to be a major snowstorm, I'm just happy to see how this one plays out and how long we hold onto snow/ice.

I am hoping that no one gets any significant icing, is there any chance of that happening given the current models?

The reason there's not much discussion is that the vast majority of posters in this sub-forum are from the 5 Boroughs and LI, places that aren't likely to see much icing due to their proximity to the ocean. I'd personally like to have a bit more commentary on the Tuesday threat, as I live at 350' elevation in Westchester County and am expecting a messy situation with my work potentially being cancelled. I think people are also exhausted from the near constant tracking since the Boxing Day Blizzard, and of course the fact it's a long weekend. We're a bit spoiled with expecting every event to be a major snowstorm, I'm just happy to see how this one plays out and how long we hold onto snow/ice.

Interesting the difference in weather in this region...I only got a dusting on 12/26...this has the potential to be the biggest wintery event I've seen thus far.

I am hoping that no one gets any significant icing, is there any chance of that happening given the current models?

There won't be much icing where you are in Queens since the easterly flow will change NYC over to rain pretty quickly. Also, the urban heat island effect means you'll radiate less after sundown tomorrow night, which will make it easier to climb above freezing by Tuesday morning with warm air advection occurring in the mid-levels and surface winds coming from the ocean. However, there's a significant risk of icing for the Hudson Valley, NW NJ, and the Poconos. With the cold airmass in place right now (-14C 850s), deep snowpack and winds staying more E/NE instead of SE due to the coastal, there could be an icing threat. Upton NWS is predicting about 2" of snow here in Westchester with .1" ice for Southern Westchester and .25" ice for Northern Westchester. So this is looking nasty, not a major icestorm but could be potentially dangerous on the roadways. I wouldn't be shocked if some schools cancel Tuesday.

Interesting the difference in weather in this region...I only got a dusting on 12/26...this has the potential to be the biggest wintery event I've seen thus far.

It's pretty unfortunate that most of the events this winter have had a narrow band of heavy QPF....we have a house at 1500' in the Poconos, and my mom says there's only about 4" of snow on the ground. Here in Westchester just 10 miles north of the City, we have a solid foot snowpack, mostly from the 14.5" that fell with the Miller B but also including 4" from the Norlun trough and a bit of the 13" that fell on Boxing Day. It's been a great winter on the coast but mediocre to poor in the interior despite persistently cold temperatures.

The 18Z GFS shows quite a bit of precip falling as upper air temps go above freezing and 10m temps remain below freezing.

Hr 42, 850s are climbing:

gfs_pcp_042s.gif

Surface still cold:

gfs_ten_042s.gif

Hr 48, 850's warmer, surface temps still holding low, although starting to climb. Keep in mind, this precip falls up to 6 hrs BEFORE the 0C line reaches this point:

gfs_ten_048s.gif

So, GFS shows quite a large area of frozen precip potential. And then we have the NAM which of course only shows .1-.25" QPF for most of the frozen precip areas, which is still a problem if it is ice. I would say, as far as QPF is concerned, splitting the difference between the high GFS's amounts and the low NAM's amounts is a safe bet. Therefore, the threat for travel-hindering snow to mix to ice exists for quite a large area in PA, W&NW NJ, and inland areas of NY.

Higher elevation in an event like this will probably not mean more snow, but probably less ice due to the warm air moving in at upper levels before lower levels.

Adam, maybe you know the answer to this question...

I thought i remembered reading from the one NWS forecaster, about extra data being taken at 18 Z today... do you know if that was ever done? And if so we could see some different results in the modeling tonight?

They launched extra balloons for the 18z model runs, so that data has already been in the models. The only thing it will affect for the 0z runs is a slightly better first guess field, but I doubt it will make a meaningful difference.

Higher elevation in an event like this will probably not mean more snow, but probably less ice due to the warm air moving in at upper levels before lower levels.

Just for the record, in all my time here, I've known this not to be the case. Usually the Wyoming/Lackawanna Valleys went over to plain rain hours before the Poconos did.

Just for the record, in all my time here, I've known this not to be the case. Usually the Wyoming/Lackawanna Valleys went over to plain rain hours before the Poconos did.

In the "nooks and crannies" of the poconos, yes. Not on the wide open mountain tops. Also, the large open "valley" areas are prone to air temperatures "mixing", causing warming too. It is the valley areas where the cold air can settle in and the warm air doesn't mix down in right away that hold on the ice the longest.

Hi Carmen

It gets the NAM/GFS for my lat/long but more importantly it uses my wx station data plus upstream advection data to calculate temps etc. QPF is a combo of GFS and NAM.

Paul

Unfortunately it is only an IMBY program but would expect the ABE area to be worse....

Paul - just curious. How does it identify your IMBY? Do you enter in lat/long?

Archived