joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12 Storm Photos and Videos

Cold Miser

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was pretty tame down here in Kingston, snowed heavily overnight but poor snow growth, unfortunately couldn't get any videos until during the day after the dryslot but it just wasn't as intense.

1 minute mark on first video best shows the wind we had, it was more sustained over night.

How can we not have more folks posting pics? The NYC/NJ thread had hundreds and hundreds of pics..

Because everyone in SNE was too tired from shoveling and too busy enjoying a HECS as opposed to a pedestrian event.

I should have taken more shots, but here are a few. Heavy, heavy, snow followed by one near the end of the storm with a sizable flock of Red-winged Blackbirds with a few Common Grackle, European Starling, and one Brown-headed Cowbird, and one with Dark-eyed Junco and White-throated Sparrow plus more of the typical backyard species in the midst of heavy snow. Obviously I was not trying to take pictures of the birds - just their insignificance as dwarfed by the arctic tundra of coastal Connecticut.

post-1364-0-49451400-1294947921.jpg

post-1364-0-65670300-1294947932.jpg

post-1364-0-12071600-1294947944.jpg

Because everyone in SNE was too tired from shoveling and too busy enjoying a HECS as opposed to a pedestrian event.

I should have taken more shots, but here are a few. Heavy, heavy, snow followed by one near the end of the storm with a sizable flock of Red-winged Blackbirds with a few Common Grackle, European Starling, and one Brown-headed Cowbird, and one with Dark-eyed Junco and White-throated Sparrow plus more of the typical backyard species in the midst of heavy snow. Obviously I was not trying to take pictures of the birds - just their insignificance as dwarfed by the arctic tundra of coastal Connecticut.

Nice shots! Glad I loaded up on seed before the storm. Birds are hungry and so are the red tails hanging out. Some tufted titmouse on their lunch menu.

Nice shots! Glad I loaded up on seed before the storm. Birds are hungry and so are the red tails hanging out. Some tufted titmouse on their lunch menu.

Thanks and good job by you - the Red-tails are eating the Titmice, really? I have heard many more raptor stories during and after the storm than usual little birds. The snow depth is just too much for raptors right now. If you stuck out an old chicken or some other meat you might get them sticking around or bring in a Red-shouldered Hawk, too.

Thanks and good job by you - the Red-tails are eating the Titmice, really? I have heard many more raptor stories during and after the storm than usual little birds. The snow depth is just too much for raptors right now. If you stuck out an old chicken or some other meat you might get them sticking around or bring in a Red-shouldered Hawk, too.

I'm not the greatest at identifying hawks. The one that was hanging around my house today was a sharp shinned I believe. I've seen them nab squirrels which is pretty cool. I fish out of Milford with my bro and the coolest is watching the osprey nail bunker. I use safflower seed and have big population of titmouse along with cardinals and nuthatches. Of course that brings along the rodents which I enjoy seeing the hawks eat. They can leave alone my titmouse friends but unfortunately with this snow pack anything is fair game.

In 96 we had roads that were like that. I remember going out the road in a Chevy Blazer and looking UP, because the snow banks were higher then the blazer. They only had 1 lane cleared at the time.

It was like that in 02-03 and my truck got totalled because the guy couldnt see me over the snow banks, the only bad thing about deep snow.

Awesome pics guys keep them coming. View from my back office window. They had about 14 inches down here at work but had 30 in 4 days, Mashantucket CT

Big facility headache with 3-5 foot drifts on the roofs, blocking intakes, exhaust fans etc. Crazy day for me with multiple system failures and snow removal from emergency exits, my crew and I are whooped especially after dealing with our own homes, but to a man they love it

Archived