Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
PHL Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

blue sky

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heavy snow for about 30-45 mins from 7:30 to 8:15, now a steady moderate snow.

as others have pointed out, the last few runs of the HRRR seem to be increasing precip amounts:

The latest (23z...yes it lags a bit) run introduces the 0.5"+ to areas east of a Easton-Philly-Millville line:

totp_t3sfc_f11.png

with this as the result (as of 10z Wed, by which point snow has moved out)

acsnw_t3sfc_f11.png

I'm in Branchburg and it looks like the heavy stuff makes a sharp right turn just before getting to us in Somerset County...did they put the snow dome up again here???

It was always looking like the heaviest stuff would be to our east, but it looks like we're still going to do pretty well and the radar looks really nice. I didn't expect there to be so much widespread moderate to heavy precip so far west. Definitely a lot different from the Boxing Day storm in that respect.

I know everyone is going to scream "Nowcast time, throw the models out!" for me posting this, but new NAM holds true to its previous run... and has precip mostly out of here by 1AM:

I have a feeling that you and the nam are onto something. I see this quick hitting and then blossoming from NYC north but for central jersey to PA this is our storm now...at worst maybe 3 AM. Im not impressed by the radar over my head. It looks good but does not seem to resulting in anything but light snows, just a dusting on ground

Archived