Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Thread Continued

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been out snowblowing and shovelling for awhile. Ended up with another half hour burst of snow and picked up another few tenths of an inch. I would say 3.1" total right now. Main snows are really hurrying off east and will be replaced by some patchy snow showers over mainly the west and central.. so those spots may add a bit to their totals. Glad to see everyone made out half decently with the storm.. judging by the obs in here and some of the pns obs that came in so far.. it looks like pretty much everyone got about the same thing.

Funny, we will end up on par with PHL and most of NJ. This storm is wrapping up FAST. we all would've never thought that. I think MDT got lucky with this one, though I'm sure their official total will be around 3". They are always unde-reported IMO.

I often have the same problem with the measurements up here in State College, at least it's not usually more than an inch or so. The official for December was 3.2", there is no way we had less than 4", probably more like 4.5" here north of campus. We'll see what the official number is for this storm, shouldn't be anything under 3".

Here in Carlisle...at 11:34pm...

Cloudy. Very light snow, intermittent now, falling. Temperature is 24 degrees. I need to go out at midnight to get my official daily total but I am most likely around 3.5" for this event. Had a really great period for about 90 minutes of moderate to heavy snow with very nice size flakes between 7:30 and 9:00pm. NWS and many other forecasts for here have verified nicely with their 2 to 4" totals. I was hoping for 3" and got it so I am totally pleased. During the heavy period there was no wind and it was so beautiful watching all the huge flakes descending straight down from the sky.

This storm, now coupled with the 2.5" from the 2 events last week and a minor event a few weeks prior put my seasonal total up around 6.5". Got quite a ways to go if we're ever going to get close to the seasonal norms. I'm about 20% of the way there (to 36").

Others talked about last night being their coldest of the season so far. I got down to 13.3 degrees overnight which I think came to within a half degree of my coldest which was 12.9 degrees some time back. My meticulous wx records have gone to the birds because I sold my home and moved two weeks before Christmas. I moved a whole 1/2 mile from where I lived before. Now I have the luxury of looking out my kitchen window and watching all the trucks whiz by on I-81. We were homeowners but now have become renters in order to get our finances back under control.

I just finished reading through about a hundred posts in this thread from late last night. I really do enjoy our central pa regional threads. So civil and polite...really great! Thanks to the mets who post in our thread often. Always great to hear your invaluable input!

See you all later...

---Stephen

Just under 4.5" here in Maytown, very pleased and a bit surprised with how it all worked out...wasn't expecting such a nice thump with the primary, it was great watching radar last evening with the echos actually strengthening at times as they moved east. Plus, my wife is extremely pleased at what we got compared to what I told her to expect...:thumbsup:

Just under 4.5" here in Maytown, very pleased and a bit surprised with how it all worked out...wasn't expecting such a nice thump with the primary, it was great watching radar last evening with the echos actually strengthening at times as they moved east. Plus, my wife is extremely pleased at what we got compared to what I told her to expect...:thumbsup:

Same here

Hey John...how much did you end up with up there in beautiful Summerdale? Looks like our calls turned out great!

Good morning, i just got done with snow detail, plowing, shoveling etc.... i ended at 4.25". With the heavy stuff we were getting around 930ish i thought we could squeek out 5, but it really petered out. Our kids probably think we are so smart, lol

I think with it starting a little earlier and our temps really helped.

Smidge under 5" in Manheim. Borough roads here and in East Pete are hideous. Wouldn't want to be a school bus driver today (or any day for that matter).

Still thinking wind later? NWS shows gusts to 30 which would add an element to the home commute.

Good morning, i just got done with snow detail, plowing, shoveling etc.... i ended at 4.25". With the heavy stuff we were getting around 930ish i thought we could squeek out 5, but it really petered out. Our kids probably think we are so smart, lol

I think with it starting a little earlier and our temps really helped.

Thr Patriot News says Harrisburg barely got 2". Someone there needs a new ruler or at least learn to check thr airport ovs (MDT ended with 4").

This was a solid 4.25" indeed. Roads in good shape for the most part, but slippery. This snow is tough to scrape off pavement for some reason, it leaves a pretty good coating.

Thr Patriot News says Harrisburg barely got 2". Someone there needs a new ruler or at least learn to check thr airport ovs (MDT ended with 4").

This was a solid 4.25" indeed. Roads in good shape for the most part, but slippery. This snow is tough to scrape off pavement for some reason, it leaves a pretty good coating.

i have always complained that our snow numbers are always off. just like PD2. as an example. That was the 1st time i really focued on measuring right. I had 32" from the 16th into the 17th, then 4" from the 17th into the 18th. total 36". I forget what MDT had, but it was pretty off of mine. and its like that all the time, where spotters have way different numbers. At 1st i thought it was me, but when i see others having the same or similar numbers, i knew it wasn't.

I often have the same problem with the measurements up here in State College, at least it's not usually more than an inch or so. The official for December was 3.2", there is no way we had less than 4", probably more like 4.5" here north of campus. We'll see what the official number is for this storm, shouldn't be anything under 3".

We got 3.6 as of this am.

I agree, they seem to be low.

Archived