Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Thread Continued

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody ever hear of this thing, and if so do you have one or know of someone who does?: http://www.wjactv.co...8087/index.html

A co-worker said it is super fast for clearing snow and he doesn't use his old shovel anymore.

And yes: It has the Worst. Product. Name. Ever.

I built a contraption like this with 2 old shovels. Works great for minor amounts you can just push.

Useless for significant amounts or if you have to lift over anything.

I built a contraption like this with 2 old shovels. Works great for minor amounts you can just push.

That's cool. How did you do it?

well i guess that will be it for a little while.. it would have been nice to be in those huge snow totals like up in Mass and CT. I'd probably be :drunk: by now! and maybe a little :bike:

Don't drink and scooter.

That's cool. How did you do it?

2 shovels, one 6" x 12" overlapping piece of sheet metal bolted thru the front of each on the shovel end. Then a small wooden cross member near the handles. This is the first storm this year I didn't use it.

For those little 1" nuisance types, I'd always use 2 shovels anyway so just joined 'em a few years ago for the heck of it. Again, useless for anything like 3 or 4+ inches as you can only push so far before the weight becomes too much.

My man plow is my compact loader or snowblower. But I have 350' of driveway to keep clean.

The Man plow looks better than some of them cheap plastic shovels.

Ok Central Pa er's would you rather it snow during the evening, overnight, or through the day? I'd like to see it start snowing like at 6am and snow all day into night myself. If its falling, i wanna see it.

100% agree with you IF temps are cold enough to offset any solar radiation. One thing I hate about late winter snows is seeing steady snow fall and melt on contact. The storm in '96 was my favorite all time, not only because I received 30", but also because it was between 10-15 degrees for the entire storm. Good stuff.

100% agree with you IF temps are cold enough to offset any solar radiation. One thing I hate about late winter snows is seeing steady snow fall and melt on contact. The storm in '96 was my favorite all time, not only because I received 30", but also because it was between 10-15 degrees for the entire storm. Good stuff.

Exactly. I think a recent storm that i enjoyed and i can't remember the year i will have to look was on or near St. Pattys day. It was a Friday and started snowing around mid morning. I think we got like 10"

Exactly. I think a recent storm that i enjoyed and i can't remember the year i will have to look was on or near St. Pattys day. It was a Friday and started snowing around mid morning. I think we got like 10"

March 16, 2007 most likely. One of my recent favorites. Temps around freezing with snow starting before noon...really got started in the early afternoon, got out of school early. Temps dropped into the mid-20s with heavy snow for most of the afternoon and evening, with only a very brief period of light sleet, unlike areas SE of Lebanon and Lancaster that dealt with a lot more mixing. 11.5" total at my house NE of Lebanon.

March 16, 2007 most likely. One of my recent favorites. Temps around freezing with snow starting before noon...really got started in the early afternoon, got out of school early. Temps dropped into the mid-20s with heavy snow for most of the afternoon and evening, with only a very brief period of light sleet, unlike areas SE of Lebanon and Lancaster that dealt with a lot more mixing. 11.5" total at my house NE of Lebanon.

Yep, that's the one. I had 11.5" in about 5 hours that morning/early afternoon, just dumped snow.

Wasn't it really warm leading up to that?

we have a winner. great storm wasn't it.

Okay, I'm going back in time a bit now, but the storm in '78 that buried New England brought us over a foot as well. That is probably still my favorite night time storm, I remember waking up ( I was 12 at the time) in the middle of the night and looking outside and seeing...nothing but white. That was the end of my rest for that night. Just surreal...wind whipped snow horizontally flying by my bedroom window. Never will forget that.

Yep, otherwise, I want it to fall during the day,especially if I'm home.

Okay, I'm going back in time a bit now, but the storm in '78 that buried New England brought us over a foot as well. That is probably still my favorite night time storm, I remember waking up ( I was 12 at the time) in the middle of the night and looking outside and seeing...nothing but white. That was the end of my rest for that night. Just surreal...wind whipped snow horizontally flying by my bedroom window. Never will forget that.

Yep, otherwise, I want it to fall during the day,especially if I'm home.

I remember that. Many motorists strnaded on I81. we had to use all kinds of means to get the them off. it was wild.

Yep, that's the one. I had 11.5" in about 5 hours that morning/early afternoon, just dumped snow.

Wasn't it really warm leading up to that?

Yes. IIRC we were around 70° on the 13th, neared 80° on the 14th, and then 60's on the 15th. Snow came down so hard it didn't matter that the pavement was warm, or that it was mid-afternoon, however. :snowman:

It was the '78 storm aftermath that I remember the most. Drifting that went on for days. We ended up having pretty much the whole week off as I recall.

'83 was an evening storm that had just ridiculous rates. like 4"/Hr at the peak. Just a snow downpour where we had all the outside lights on and how much snow was illuminated as it crossed the light path.

The ice storm during the day sometime in the early 90's was also memorable. It was like 20F and raining. The ice accretion was quite the spectacle. I think that was the same storm that was followed by temps near 0 afterward which made for concrete washboard on the roads. I also think that was the same one where they were breaking carbide blades trying to scrape 222.

Good times.

I actually liked the timing of last nught's storm. Everyone got home pretty much OK and the snow stopped by 10:40 so I could shovel last nught instead of waking up extra early to do it all.

It didn't enable work delays but I'd rather have the storm cleaned up than a 2 hour delay in still-scary roads.

The pefrect storm though snows solid for 4 days, in which timing doesn't matter. ;)

I think my favorite storm was the one on Christmas 2002. Really enjoyed the white Christmas!

I prefer a storm that ends sometime in the afternoon. Gives you enough time to clean up.

But these days, beggars can't be choosy.

Will take what the models give us. :snowman:

Did anyone hear that Hartford got 29" Is there somewhere to check that?

It was the '78 storm aftermath that I remember the most. Drifting that went on for days. We ended up having pretty much the whole week off as I recall.

'83 was an evening storm that had just ridiculous rates. like 4"/Hr at the peak. Just a snow downpour where we had all the outside lights on and how much snow was illuminated as it crossed the light path.

The ice storm during the day sometime in the early 90's was also memorable. It was like 20F and raining. The ice accretion was quite the spectacle. I think that was the same storm that was followed by temps near 0 afterward which made for concrete washboard on the roads. I also think that was the same one where they were breaking carbide blades trying to scrape 222.

Good times.

Thanks for mentioning the '83 storm, if you wouldn't have, I was going to anyway. Probably my number #3 storm of all time, an even 2' fell during that one. Between 4 and 5pm that day, we had 5" of new snow. LIghtening and thunder as well.

And oh, that ice storm...for a week straight it felt like being in a blender every time you had to go somewhere.

I think my favorite storm was the one on Christmas 2002. Really enjoyed the white Christmas!

I prefer a storm that ends sometime in the afternoon. Gives you enough time to clean up.

But these days, beggars can't be choosy.

Will take what the models give us. :snowman:

Did anyone hear that Hartford got 29" Is there somewhere to check that?

I'm sure that the local NOAA page up there would have that.

I was following that thread today, I was pretty sure that they broke their all time record, but I was thinking they had 22.5", but maybe that was before it shut off?

I'm sure that the local NOAA page up there would have that.

I was following that thread today, I was pretty sure that they broke their all time record, but I was thinking they had 22.5", but maybe that was before it shut off?

Thanks

Yeah looks like 22"

http://www.ncdc.noaa...ubmitted=Submit

Edit: Check these totals out North Haven 30"

http://www.courant.com/news/weather/hc-snowfall-totals-0112,0,3170094.htmlstory

I actually liked the timing of last nught's storm. Everyone got home pretty much OK and the snow stopped by 10:40 so I could shovel last nught instead of waking up extra early to do it all.

It didn't enable work delays but I'd rather have the storm cleaned up than a 2 hour delay in still-scary roads.

The pefrect storm though snows solid for 4 days, in which timing doesn't matter. ;)

Now that is a storm. I lived in buffalo during the blizzard of 77. That lasted for about 4 days. That caused buffalo to be brought to a standstill. School was closed for 2 weeks. It was the first time an area was declared a federal disaster area. Ahhhhh the memories.

Archived