northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Harry

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z guidance matched up relatively well with my previous thinking. These cold profile/deep DGZ events often suprise. So...I'll keep with my narrow low end warning snow amount forecast between IND and OKK to Muncie, Lima OH where decent mid frontogenetical band likely pivots through. Otherwise...widespread advisory event for many across OH, southeast MI, and IN. Given potential good ratios think Chicago could get 3-6" out of this...although I probably would not forecast that much at this point.

Few questions here..

1.) How well do long range models do in the short range? I would assume that using the wrf,nam and other short range models would be best in this time frame.

2.)What are the thoughts on banding with this. What about cyclogenisis(baro) Possible Thundersnow in some areas?

3.)What are some reports coming out of NE today is it Overperforming/underperforming?

Basically I am sticking with the snow map I posted last night. I still believe the best shot in OH for greater than 6" would be from CLE/NE OH down to CMH And east. I do believe some areas in there will get 6 or 7" with some isolated 8" amounts around CLE down to MFD. I will throw an out of state number too PIT I believe could see 6" with this storm. A general 4-6" snow from a line of IND-CMH-PIT with locally heavier amounts along that line. Anyways, will chime in at some point again after the 0z runs I guess. Take care all and Good luck to those west as the storm crosses your region. Oh and one other thing, it's my birthday :P

thanks..

so much for the banter in the other region threads about the 500 low looking much stronger over the OV.

I wouldn't worry much about what the Euro shows within 24 to 36 hours....I think we are sitting in a pretty good spot for high end advisory maybe even low end warning totals. Quite likely we get to 6 inches by Wednesday afternoon, but that of course is not in the time range for a warning...

Few questions here..

1.) How well do long range models do in the short range? I would assume that using the wrf,nam and other short range models would be best in this time frame.

2.)What are the thoughts on banding with this. What about cyclogenisis(baro) Possible Thundersnow in some areas?

3.)What are some reports coming out of NE today is it Overperforming/underperforming?

Basically I am sticking with the snow map I posted last night. I still believe the best shot in OH for greater than 6" would be from CLE/NE OH down to CMH And east. I do believe some areas in there will get 6 or 7" with some isolated 8" amounts around CLE down to MFD. I will throw an out of state number too PIT I believe could see 6" with this storm. A general 4-6" snow from a line of IND-CMH-PIT with locally heavier amounts along that line. Anyways, will chime in at some point again after the 0z runs I guess. Take care all and Good luck to those west as the storm crosses your region. Oh and one other thing, it's my birthday :P

Happy Birthday man!

Few questions here..

at this point i'd put as much stock in this guess as anyones. My guess is a little more conservative.

happy bday...hope you got your 5 post-a-day suspension lifted

Happy Birthday! I assume Hoosier has now lifted your 24 HOUR 5-post ban now that it has been OVER 24 hours?

Few questions here..

Well it's snowing here but a lot of it is melting, kind of strange for it to melt this time of year with a temp at 27-28. We probably have 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch down here on the grass. Looks like the 2nd round of snow is developing to the west across Kansas associated with the jet. But I got some decent sized flakes after the radar showed the precip had passed here. I hope the 2nd round makes it here before dark so I can see heavier snow rates.

suny mm5 wth, even ugly models need lov'n

http://cheget.msrc.s...p/36km.slp.html

Yeah the SUNY Stonybrook MM5 is made with coastal lows in mind where non-hydrostatic and mesoscale/microscale effects apply and play a prominent role in development. Pretty worthless elsewhere. It does have its uses though.

at this point i'd put as much stock in this guess as anyones. My guess is a little more conservative.

Buckeye, did you take a look at the 12Z GFS bufkit? It only had .17" of qpf for us and still gave us 3.2" of snow. Almost 20:1 ratios. That definitely has boosted my confidence a bit.

Yeah the SUNY Stonybrook MM5 is made with coastal lows in mind where non-hydrostatic and mesoscale/microscale effects apply and play a prominent role in development. Pretty worthless elsewhere. It does have its uses though.

suny mm5 is one of the rare models that tends to have a fetish for app runners. That's why it's my favorite special-needs model

Archived