Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Harry

Nah, it's just reality at this point.

12z NAM looks awfully similar to the Euro which shows the dry air monster sucking the life out it here. Plus like I said earlier...we get stuck in the middle between the upper low to the west and the "too late for LAF" developing OV system. Places to the south and east should make out fine as the OV system transverses east/northeast.

I'd put you down for 2-3".

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sticking to my guns of 4-7 inches. All the factors are coming together across Southeastern and Eastern Indiana and a good chunk of Ohio for a really nice hit. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few rumbles of thunder, particularly in Southeastern Indiana.

the nam and gfs have both shown heavier precip coming into western OH along i-70 but not making it to central OH. instead it's pivoting a bit north of us as it heads east and then redevelops a bit to our east as the low strengthens right before it transfers. It's kind of a mini version of a classic double barrel CMH screw job. ILN mentioned in yesterdays AFD that they were not concerned about a weakening of precip because the h7 and 850lows all remained closed over OH...

....we'll see i guess.

6z hi-res NMM and ARW both look pretty good down there. Problem is this event will be so slow and lame, the first inch may sublimate before the second falls, ok j/k but you get my point.

Meh, HI-RES models been taken to the woodshed on this one. It'll be a frustrating event trying to saturate the column here. Seems I may be bad luck on this one as I'm driving north to IKK this afternoon for a couple day stay... :arrowhead:

the nam and gfs have both shown heavier precip coming into western OH along i-70 but not making it to central OH. instead it's pivoting a bit north of us as it heads east and then redevelops a bit to our east as the low strengthens right before it transfers. It's kind of a mini version of a classic double barrel CMH screw job. ILN mentioned in yesterdays AFD that they were not concerned about a weakening of precip because the h7 and 850lows all remained closed over OH...

....we'll see i guess.

I'm sticking to 4-6. Maybe the lower QPF verifies and we only get 4....That's still in my range, but I with the higher ratios and extra back end snow showers tomorrow evening I am a bit more optimistic on at least 5. Some isolated areas, especially just north of I-70, may get 6+. Remember it doesn't take much error in the models with very cold air to add an inch or two :)

quick write up from Matt Powers, wx lab manager at COD, have put of few of his discussions on eastern.

I'm going to be really interested to see how much snow we get tomorrow. The track of the upper low is a bit south/west but, looking at the s/wv trof from 700-500, along with the favorable area of DGZ (and a deep layer, at that!), I think the low moisture values and weaker UVV's will be compensated for. My guess is that we should see 4" or so out of this, give or take.

There is easily a 100-150mb deep DGZ tomorrow and should go on for nearly 12 hours. The Omega values are a little low but, still, could be a healthy snow total. Ratios will be pretty high, too.

Just have to watch this..

The v vel scream heavy snow potential from Southern Illinois through Central Ohio.

interesting. Just watched jb's vid on the storm. He has his axis of heaviest snow (not including coastal of course), running from s. IN to MD....Actually a bit south of i-70. His reasoning is based on the following the -8 850 line. Still have yet to see the models, other than the ggem to some extent, show this.

I rarely post on here..but all the local Indy weathercasters moved their totals down on the noon news. I find that surprising...anyone else?

I assume they did because their in-house 12z models lowered snowfall amounts. I believe most of them are WRF derived. I could be wrong though...

BTW, I'd take it with a grain of salt. There was a couple of storms last winter where WISH-TV had stupid meager amounts for LAF, which ended busting terribly low.

Archived