• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Midwest Thanksgiving Storm...

Powerball

Had a thunderstorm with freezing rain come through here about 20 minutes ago. Put a thin layer of ice on everything although it's going to melt later when the temps warm above freezing.

I did not notice icing on any objects as the storm moved through. The Washington HS weathernet station has been showing 30/31 all afternoon, but everything is just wet so the temp sensor must be a little off.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The :lmao: was for the 995mb low over Erie, PA.

That's the first itme I've seen something like that on any of the models (most likely won't happen).

While the other models may not have an "L" in the same vicinity, they do have a general bagginess in the isobars that imply a secondary area of low pressure around Lk Erie. 995 is probably the deepest I've seen, but I don't think it makes a huge difference as far as anybody's sensible wx is concerned.

While the other models may not have an "L" in the same vicinity, they do have a general bagginess in the isobars that imply a secondary area of low pressure around Lk Erie. 995 is probably the deepest I've seen, but I don't think it makes a huge difference as far as anybody's sensible wx is concerned.

Oh never mind...<_<

Just looking at the NAM and comparing the surface to the 500mb maps, I think the NAM is pushing the precip out too quickly at 00z Friday, especially with the vort still back to the west.

Somewhat off-topic, but did you see any lightning or hear any thunder with the heavy showers Monday afternoon?

Personally no because I was sleeping as I had gotten home from a 12-8 shift at 9am. But I heard there were storms in the area.

Officially there was none reported (nor did I see any myself), granted it would have occurred between observations at DET/PTK, but it's hard to believe there was no discharges aloft giving the intensity of the rains and the cloud structures (LI's were negatives at the time). PTK did report heavy rain however.

Then Jackson & Ann Arbor also reported thunder. So I guess they were simply low topped, but I just wanted to ask someone else to make sure.

Sorry guys, that was all.

Officially there was none reported (nor did I see any myself), granted it would have occurred between observations at DET/PTK, but it's hard to believe there was no discharges aloft giving the intensity of the rains and the cloud structures (LI's were negatives at the time). PTK did report heavy rain however.

Then Jackson & Ann Arbor also reported thunder. So I guess they were simply low topped, but I just wanted to ask someone else to make sure.

Sorry guys, that was all.

Well thunderstorms justify SPECI observations so it wouldn't be between obs. As for at DTW I think we were south of the line, PTK could have been north of the storms, I'd check Selfridge they might have had a thunderstorm.

Edit: looks like Selfridge had a couple CB obs but no TS, from what it looks like, the storms probably weakened as they moved into the area.

Congrats on the Red Tag Chinook ( Pinwheeler)

Thanks.

Toledo - both airports report -RA or nothing in the past few hours-- good visibility. 0.03"

I have to admit, a few days ago I showed the weather weenie side of me. I posted the ECMWF forecast with a low near Columbus, and I said "blizzard for Toledo on Thanksgiving." As it turns out, a few sleet pellets fell on me, tonight. It should be above freezing for most or all of our precipitation tomorrow.

Complete bust in Madison it would appear. Sleet mixed with rain was the only wintry precip reported, and that was literally for 10 minutes at the beginning of the precip.

Now 38F with rain, which will clear out soon.

Not the kind of bust I like hearing when I'm southeast of Madison in this storm :(

Archived