• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/index_500_l_loop.shtml

Take a look at that guys, what a beauty if right and probably not quite done trending if it's on the right track. Jump it to the coast a little earlier and I probably get dry slotted :)

It's a slightly different evolution on the NAM that pulls it together. It holds back more energy in the diving s/w...so that kind of dumps off the coast a little later forming up the new low but not doing much with it. Then the main PV with the pretty intense energy comes down and noses up into PA before jumping to/phasing with the old s/w. It's a delicate interaction. The NAM is really showing a super intense vortmax, tightly wound too coming right up under us and at one point around 42 we have a vertically stacked low pressure.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it all means, but the 00z RGEM/GEM, 12z NAM, 00z GEFS/EURO ensemble means, to an extent the 00z EURO/UKMET models are in good agreement. Ensemble means are still a little iffy, especially the 6z GEFS mean which decreased the amount of QPF, but overall a nice placement for the low. Right now we need to see how the 12z GFS reacts. It would be nice to get a consensus on this about 24-36 hours out for a change. The evolution of the H5 pattern will be critical. If that arctic shortwave catches the polar front running shortwave we will be looking at a bomb. Question is can we get that phase? Or is this just the SPV moving through with its own energy?

I will try and take comfort in that. Right now it is Jan 6th and from the coast of Virginia to NYC, many areas have had more snow then me in Maine.

Its frustrating, But keep the faith it will snow here at some point if we miss out on this one and next weeks, We will have our chances....

hell...3-6" in eastern CT if NAM is right. We'll see if any other models catch onto the idea. But really starting to think at least eastern areas get into some more snow on Sunday...even the 0z GFS last night brushed them with a couple inches.

Certainly possible. I just went conservatively with that just b/c I don't know what the lift looks like :lol:

I usually wait for the models to update on unisys or on plymouth so I can see 700mb VV's.

Certainly a nice plume of moisture coming in off the ocean though so just a little convergence/lift and boom!

You are..most of our snow comes from 4:00pm on today..You'll be too low

I'm not including what happens late tomorrow/Sunday in my totals...that I think counts as a separate event.

From today's system though I don't think we see more than a widespread 1-3''...any totals higher than that will be on the isolated side and not really widespread IMO.

I'm not including what happens late tomorrow/Sunday in my totals...that I think counts as a separate event.

From today's system though I don't think we see more than a widespread 1-3''...any totals higher than that will be on the isolated side and not really widespread IMO.

Once the band moves in it'll drop a solid 2-5 inches of snow..1-3 is too low...that's all

Once the band moves in it'll drop a solid 2-5 inches of snow..1-3 is too low...that's all

I'm not sold out how far east the bands makes it, in fact I could see it beginning to fall apart as it traverses eastward, we begin to lose a great deal of lift as we head through the evening hours, take a look at 700mb VV maps, really nothing to scream at.

I don't think 2-5'' will be the widespread norm.

On that last NAM image I see a clearly defined Norlun trough extending from se of LI all the way into Eastern canada..It most certainly is

Which is attached to a 984ish low with closed contours at almost all levels that is pounding southern/eastern areas with heavy no trough snows.

All a moot point anyway. At 42 hours on the NAM - we have a better chance of seeing the Easter Bunny.

Would be really nice to see that late Sat Sunday solution pan out for E.Mass....what's the QPF on that again?? Boston mets didn't seem very enthused this morning about that....sat-sun event....or are they just waiting for the ball to drop and we get more then meets the eye...

Have a great weekend folks!

Craig at Northeastweathereye.com

Hull Mass

Which is attached to a 984ish low with closed contours at almost all levels that is pounding southern/eastern areas with heavy no trough snows.

All a moot point anyway. At 42 hours on the NAM - we have a better chance of seeing the Easter Bunny.

yeah it's the nam...we'll see what happens. would be a fun event if it panned out.

OT - i just noticed that you are a posting machine - 1500 in like 3 weeks!! how the heck do you have time to do that?? :lol:

Archived