• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jb 3pm update

Ji

He is very confident models are wrong and this will be a heavy snow for the i95 weenies. Compared the setup to some storm that happened in Feb 83

Not really sure where his confidence is. Even if there was full model consensus at a coastal, I wouldn't be confident given the fragile nature of the setup and the small window of opportunity.

He is very confident models are wrong and this will be a heavy snow for the i95 weenies. Compared the setup to some storm that happened in Feb 83

He has to be right one time, matters well be now. Think of it this way he is 0 for 3 so far this season on calls so even if he gets this right he will be 1 for 4 which is a .250 average. Even the lowly Orioles would barely put up with that horrible batting average :arrowhead: .

Not really sure where his confidence is. Even if there was full model consensus at a coastal, I wouldn't ne confident given the fragile nature of the setup and the small window of opportunity.

He says nao turning positive will ensure a track up the coast.talks about how all models lose storm 4-5 days out only to bring it back

He says nao turning positive will ensure a track up the coast.talks about how all models lose storm 4-5 days out only to bring it back

What a silly reasoning. The southern stream wave is a bigger influence in this, and the dominance of it is killing the low level advection patterns and eating away at a huge moisture feed. The western trough is ejecting over a dead baroclinic zone and there is no development. Take away the block completely and it doesn't matter...the western trough can't advect warm air northward anyways.

He has to be right one time, matters well be now. Think of it this way he is 0 for 3 so far this season on calls so even if he gets this right he will be 1 for 4 which is a .250 average. Even the lowly Orioles would barely put up with that horrible batting average :arrowhead: .

Yeah, well the as-lowly Cleveland Indians just might pick him up then, to help with their offense!:lol:

What a silly reasoning. The southern stream wave is a bigger influence in this, and the dominance of it is killing the low level advection patterns and eating away at a huge moisture feed. The western trough is ejecting over a dead baroclinic zone and there is no development. Take away the block completely and it doesn't matter...the western trough can't advect warm air northward anyways.

I agree that it is a problem, but the 6z GFS had the frontrunner but then was able to re-energize things once the upper level energy from the western trough got involved. The biggest difference now is the latest runs are washing that out. Also, models sometimes key in on the frontrunner and miss how much will be left over for whats behind. I think its a long shot but I see how what he says is possible. Of course he goes and makes it seem likely and that is where I take issue.

I agree that it is a problem, but the 6z GFS had the frontrunner but then was able to re-energize things once the upper level energy from the western trough got involved. The biggest difference now is the latest runs are washing that out. Also, models sometimes key in on the frontrunner and miss how much will be left over for whats behind. I think its a long shot but I see how what he says is possible. Of course he goes and makes it seem likely and that is where I take issue.

Exactly! I agree totally with this. It's one thing to elucidate the possibility but no guidance right now is going for an all-out heavy snow for the I-95 corridor. So to bang the drum as if it's likely is doing nobody a service. That being said, I sure hope it works out that way!

Right, talked a little about that in the discussion thread. The western trough is much slower this run and it can't save the low level circulation as the southern wave craps out. That window is tiny for development since the western trough has to be right on time both to save the low level circulation but to get a tiny bit of WAA and height rises before it heads E. ECM treats the western trough more as a "kicker" low and ejects the southern wave ahead before it flattens out into oblivion.

Right, talked a little about that in the discussion thread. The western trough is much slower this run and it can't save the low level circulation as the southern wave craps out. That window is tiny for development since the western trough has to be right on time both to save the low level circulation but to get a tiny bit of WAA and height rises before it heads E. ECM treats the western trough more as a "kicker" low and ejects the southern wave ahead before it flattens out into oblivion.

No doubt the second piece of energy has trended slower.

Not really sure where his confidence is. Even if there was full model consensus at a coastal, I wouldn't be confident given the fragile nature of the setup and the small window of opportunity.

For JB, this is a rock solid setup.

But in fairness, I've never seen a non-fragile setup 5 days out. This seems pretty run of the mill as coastal storm scenarios go.

For JB, this is a rock solid setup.

But in fairness, I've never seen a non-fragile setup 5 days out. This seems pretty run of the mill as coastal storm scenarios go.

I liked the setup for the Feb 6th storm last year from 10 days out. Strong STJ, really strong southern stream vort, PNA ridge, all that moisture being slammed into a PV blocked in... that was easy to see from way out. These storms this winter are a lot harder to predict.

http://www.eas.slu.e...fhr=120&flg=new

The February 1983 storm shows up as the 5th best analog. I myself like the fourth one.:whistle:

It's not JB only who is honking. Henry Margusity is as well and Joe Lundberg so it is not just Bastardi. And at least some mets on this board think the set up has a good shot of bring the storm up the coast. HPC is close but still outside the benchmark.

both the big storms dec 18-19/feb 5-6 last yr had 83 mentioned as analogs

doesnt look much like them at least

Not to me either. I really liked the feb storm at this time range as it had a nice ridge behind the northern shortwave to ensure it dug. So did the dec 19 event. This one the ridge gets knocked down by a another shortwave and northern shortwave moves too slow to capture the southern shortwave. Instead the latter minors out but takes the low enough to the east to ruin the chances of a big storm.

both the big storms dec 18-19/feb 5-6 last yr had 83 mentioned as analogs

doesnt look much like them at least

I actually never saw that analog with those storms. It was a nino and there were some similarities in the pattern but the specifics of how the storm evolved were totally different IMHO.

Haha wtf?

He just posted last week that there would likely be no more blockbusters other than in New England lol.

Well of course. When it does snow, AccuWx will always be right because they always go with the best case scenario.

Fixed ;)

The models do seem to be trending better, but now some are worrying about the storm hugging the coast too closely lol.

Fixed ;)

The models do seem to be trending better, but now some are worrying about the storm hugging the coast too closely lol.

Well, in JB's defense he did say areas that got hit hard by the December 26th storm might go over to rain with this one.

Fixed ;)

Haha thanks... Yeah I forgot that what many consider "worst" case scenario is actually the "best" case scenario for the winter lovers :P

And I don't mean any of this to imply that I don't think the storm will happen. I do have my doubts about the big event, but that aside... When was the last time there was at least a small chance for a storm, and AccuWx did NOT hype it into the next Feb 83, Mar 93, Jan 96, etc?

Archived