• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

Will, do you think it could be that strong, with that kind of wind and cold weather? That was an amazingly dynamic storm! Intense low pressure, high winds, Nantucket got like 32" of snow and there was a wide area of a foot plus amounts.

Never predict a strom that strong at this time range, but there could def be a good system. The potential is obviously high, but it could also completely miss us. There is reason for some optimism though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if this tracks near and se of ACK, the 500 circulation is huge, so snow would be able to spread pretty far nw.

this has a pretty good chc for most of the region i think.

at this point, the only thing that probably spares me from a complete rain event is the seasonal trend of the block to (hopefully) keep this a hair to my southeast. but i'd feel good if i was anywhere in SNE and up into NNE really, right now.

does look fairly progressive so i wouldn't expect a blockbuster but who knows. there were some hints in earlier runs of trying to slow it down too.

plenty of time...

What happened to the siberian intrusion that had been modeled last week?

eh..it was modeled on yesterday's 12z euro run so this is a big shift in 12 hours. LOL.

we'll see how it goes.

the one thing is there is a lot of super cold coming down into the plains of canada...if that bottles up over that way, the natural response might be to moderate things a bit out our way...we'll see.

Well for once this seems like an easier storm to predict. The pattern isn't quite so anomalous, the storm has been on the maps for 5 days already with the usual variations. It has felt to me like a close to the coast track for awhile now. Hopefully this will be the more typical New England coastal snow storm. I see the HPC prelim graphics are right in the middle of the guidance just barely outside the benchmark and progressive. Trying hard not to get sucked in but I think this has true promise as a long-tracked we know its comin classic snowstorm where the only things to figure out are how far into the interior gets good snow, does the coast have mixing issues wheres the dryslot and who get jackpotted.

I like those kinda storms.

Gonna pull out Kocin and look at Mar 60 shortly.

As I write this it has actually started to snow, more than those little teeny lonely flurries, actual flakes that might stick.

I'm about to but I'm lazy. About 4" of fluff so maybe a bit more iyby. You could use a leaf blower on this stuff.

:P

Thanks, Chris. Is that your report on the PNS?

If that's all there is, I'd be tempted to just leave it except for what might come into Wed. Would rather start from a relatviely clear drive for anything significant.

Archived