joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The return of winter pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will be a nice source to have, esp for my area. If we indeed see troughing shift towards the Plains, then storms are going to want to make a run towards the northeast. Having the cold and a big high branching in from the west will help my area out.

Your area definitly will benefit from it, Up here we can get away with more marginal cold air because of latitude, But i would not discourage seeing a 1025ish mb high over quebec to help drain some of that cold down or a high further west that brings in modified arctic air into the region.........

Okay--any non snowy surface: roads, walkways, etc. I'd also be concerned re: p-type, though I see the RUC says snow. I'll enjoy whatever it is from the sidelines; this will be an eastern special I think.

I'll take that in an instant.

No CAA at the surface. 44.5/38 attm.

Isn't that what you always think? I remember you congratulating CC on being the jackpot prematurely for the last storm when in fact it ended up just to your West. Way too early to throw in the towel. At this rate you will never qualify to be a member of the CoT.

Yeah I notice this as well, funny you mention that.

It really is a matter of like 50 miles for this to be a big deal for I-90 in sne. Even with the inv trough like feature...it makes me think that some moisture rotating south from Maine is possible..given the mid level setup. Pretty complicated setup and potentially frustrating because it has a "feast" or "famine" appeal to it right now. I'm not expecting anything significant at this juncture, but of course we have to mention the obligatory "we're 6 days out." I'll just be happy for snow.

In a post i had earlier this am, Thats what i was kind of alluding to, When looking at all these runs of all the models that would be my fear in this setup but its 6 days out and won't get caught up in anything yet........

I think the one encouraging thing about this whole setup as stands right now is that even in these uglier looking solutions (ala 12z GFS and GGEM), it still wants to drop advisory type snows over much of the region. There is a definite tendency to want to get some sort of low forming S of here or at the very least, an inverted trough to focus some precip.

Late week clipper is probably more likely to be a west/east strip of advisory level snows with someone from Ray to ME maybe getting into a warning situation. I mean it could amplify like mad as some models have shown, but most systems like this are moderate hitters. But more to come from the pattern probably so I'm cool with the above if that transpires.

Isn't that what you always think? I remember you congratulating CC on being the jackpot prematurely for the last storm when in fact it ended up just to your West. Way too early to throw in the towel. At this rate you will never qualify to be a member of the CoT.

Late week clipper is probably more likely to be a west/east strip of advisory level snows with someone from Ray to ME maybe getting into a warning situation. I mean it could amplify like mad as some models have shown, but most systems like this are moderate hitters. But more to come from the pattern probably so I'm cool with the above if that transpires.

For me, at this range, the fact that there seems to be at least some agreement that something will get going in the NE quadrant of the US late this week is enough to keep one interested. I would not discount anything from a sizeable hit to flurries. I'm just encouraged by the overall pattern depicted. To try to pin things down at this distance would require a measure of clairvoyance no one I know has. As TT pointed out it is entirely possible the models may lose this threat entirely for a few runs before bringing it back in the form of a more cohesive system. I'm patient and will wait until after the storm to pass out cigars to the 'winners'. FWIW, I think this ends up giving everybody some love.

For me, at this range, the fact that there seems to be at least some agreement that something will get going in the NE quadrant of the US late this week is enough to keep one interested. I would not discount anything from a sizeable hit to flurries. I'm just encouraged by the overall pattern depicted. To try to pin things down at this distance would require a measure of clairvoyance no one I know has. As TT pointed out it is entirely possible the models may lose this threat entirely for a few runs before bringing it back in the form of a more cohesive system. I'm patient and will wait until after the storm to pass out cigars to the 'winners'. FWIW, I think this ends up giving everybody some love.

So basically just a wordy copy of what Will said

Pete is locking it in!

The models losing things and reacquiring them is always a hoot. I wish we were two days closer.

Last storm I was told that I had little or no chance of getting 4 ", I ended up with just over a foot. The signal for stormy weather at this distance is all I really pay close attention to right now. Little emotional investment until the final hours. I view all of this against the backdrop that it's Winter and, here, we tend to get a decent amount of snow. It will come, in fact it's already here.

Too soon to say that for tonight's snow showers? Disagree respectfully.

You may recall my congratulations to CC was in reference to a model run depiction.

Too soon to say that for tonight's snow showers? Disagree respectfully.

You may recall my congratulations to CC was in reference to a model run depiction.

Sorry, thought you were speaking of the late week system. I wouldn't think tonight would offer us more than a trace. Cold air is moving in now. I've lost a few degrees in the last hour now at 42.

Horrific pics you posted earlier. Not nearly as bad here with the exception of the high meadows in Worthington which were blown clean by the hurricane force winds with the last system. Woods still hold decent snow and the skiing/snowmobiling continues. Get the blower fixed? Make hay while the sun shines.

Can't see qpf on Ukie, but it redevelops the lakes system well SE of LI and then tracks it just E of PSM...so I imagine that would at least be very nice for eastern areas, if not most of the region.

Your point earlier: Even the sub par runs give decent snows to most (a few inches at least). I'm wondering how they do that? UK sounds like a nice event. Crazy Uncle....

The euro takes a piece of that Pacific energy, and rips it southeast. I like this setup better than the 00z depiction, but too early to see if it means anything.

Its weird, not digging the pv like other runs we saw previously, but it has a vortmax rotating around the base of it which will end up south of us so it should still produce something, though likely not prolific.

Its weird, not digging the pv like other runs we saw previously, but it has a vortmax rotating around the base of it which will end up south of us so it should still produce something, though likely not prolific.

Yeah a different evolution for sure. I guess it goes to show you the various outcomes we potentially could have.

Archived