Great Snow 1717 Posted 8 hours ago Share Posted 8 hours ago 24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said: If it was winter, it would’ve cut 300mi west or have gone out to sea. leaving methuen with rain or a few flurries... 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dendrite Posted 7 hours ago Share Posted 7 hours ago 1 hour ago, ineedsnow said: didn't stand in it but I did see a lady pick some up.. there was a ton of it Get me some washed up kelp Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Great Snow 1717 Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago 10 hours ago, vortex95 said: One issue is the all storms have the same cookie-cutter hype formula in the eyes of TV stations. Sure, not all OCMs follow that or want to do that, but many are forced to. If one wanted to scale things properly and have something unique to say, they should have said, "such a storm fcst is quite unusual for September", but that takes more than generic knowledge of wx, one needs to know local wx history as well. This is of value b/c it puts things in proper context and perspective, which sadly is sorely lacking these days in media. Not all Nor'easters are alike, but they are treated as such for max hype and ratings. Heaven help us when the next HU takes aim at New England. Mark my words, they will make ZERO difference between the 1938 HU and a MEH HU like Belle in 1976. "Look, the track is *similar* the 1938 HU!" O-kay, but all big HU hits in New England have similar tracks! That doesn't say anything really to the public as to total sensible wx impact It's like after Sandy, every E Coast TC threat was "track similar to Sandy" which in that case was nonsense. Sandy 's track was exceptional. But never let a recent big event go unused for hype for "the next one!" 100% correct! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Brewbeer Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago 4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said: I report exact data rainfall and temps from a scientific wx station. . What kind of station do you have ? You seem very old fashioned and behind the times, so I’m guessing an old mercury thermometer mounted outside the kitchen window all rusted out. old fashioned and behind the times? lol ! I might me a few years older than you, but I'm fairly certain based on what you've posted on these forums over the years that you are way more "old fashioned" and way more "behind the times" my thermo is one of those alcohol filled jobbers. Mercury is extremely toxic to anything alive and leaving a mercury filled thermometer exposed in the environment is a bad idea I don't have a weather station yet, but would like to get one. If I get one, I will site the sensors where they they belong; I sure won't mount the temp sensor next to the grill on my deck like yours. Torch ! 1 1 1 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CCHurricane Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago Nauset Beach on Saturday afternoon. 3 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ma blizzard Posted 6 hours ago Share Posted 6 hours ago 4.97" Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Great Snow 1717 Posted 5 hours ago Share Posted 5 hours ago 47 minutes ago, Brewbeer said: old fashioned and behind the times? lol ! I might me a few years older than you, but I'm fairly certain based on what you've posted on these forums over the years that you are way more "old fashioned" and way more "behind the times" my thermo is one of those alcohol filled jobbers. Mercury is extremely toxic to anything alive and leaving a mercury filled thermometer exposed in the environment is a bad idea I don't have a weather station yet, but would like to get one. If I get one, I will site the sensors where they they belong; I sure won't mount the temp sensor next to the grill on my deck like yours. Torch ! Perhaps that is why he enjoyed a September torch?? 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoon Tip Posted 5 hours ago Share Posted 5 hours ago the problem with orchestrating life behaviors around traditional points of views and perspectives/belief systems is when objective evidence, and math, prove that the old traditional methods are harmful - yet, they remain unwavering. 1 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Baroclinic Zone Posted 5 hours ago Share Posted 5 hours ago Off and on drizzle all AM Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tamarack Posted 1 hour ago Share Posted 1 hour ago Finished this event with 1.75", fortunately about 3 times more than I expected. Month up to 3.06" (average is 3.70"), almost enough to get Sandy River over the 25th percentile. Colors here are at/near peak, with lots of red maples wonderfully bright. Birches and sugar maples approaching peak, white ash well past, about 75% leaf drop around here on that species. Red oaks: Autumn? What's that? 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Layman Posted 52 minutes ago Share Posted 52 minutes ago 31 minutes ago, tamarack said: Finished this event with 1.75", fortunately about 3 times more than I expected. Month up to 3.06" (average is 3.70"), almost enough to get Sandy River over the 25th percentile. Colors here are at/near peak, with lots of red maples wonderfully bright. Birches and sugar maples approaching peak, white ash well past, about 75% leaf drop around here on that species. Red oaks: Autumn? What's that? Is there a specific reason why the swamp maples always seem to turn early and be so vibrant? My simple guess is something to do with the moisture in their environment, but I was curious if there's some solid known reason. Or, am I just imagining they turn early to begin with Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tamarack Posted 45 minutes ago Share Posted 45 minutes ago 7 minutes ago, Layman said: Is there a specific reason why the swamp maples always seem to turn early and be so vibrant? My simple guess is something to do with the moisture in their environment, but I was curious if there's some solid known reason. Or, am I just imagining they turn early to begin with "Swamp maples" are almost always red maples (Acer rubrum) on a wet site. The wetness lowers fertility and keeps the roots somewhat cooler than on well drained sites, probably causing that early turning (as you guessed). The color is common for most red maples (excellent this year), though there's a variety of sorts that turns yellow (also good). 1 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Layman Posted 31 minutes ago Share Posted 31 minutes ago 11 minutes ago, tamarack said: "Swamp maples" are almost always red maples (Acer rubrum) on a wet site. The wetness lowers fertility and keeps the roots somewhat cooler than on well drained sites, probably causing that early turning (as you guessed). The color is common for most red maples (excellent this year), though there's a variety of sorts that turns yellow (also good). Thanks for the details - much appreciated! We drove past a patch today in Portsmouth that were so bright and vibrant. Really pretty this year. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CT Valley Snowman Posted just now Share Posted just now 1 hour ago, tamarack said: Finished this event with 1.75", fortunately about 3 times more than I expected. Month up to 3.06" (average is 3.70"), almost enough to get Sandy River over the 25th percentile. Colors here are at/near peak, with lots of red maples wonderfully bright. Birches and sugar maples approaching peak, white ash well past, about 75% leaf drop around here on that species. Red oaks: Autumn? What's that? Peak seems a solid week early for you? Perhaps drought is playing a role? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now