12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New York City, Northern NJ, Long Island, Southeast NY, Connecticut OBS

earthlight

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 3 multiple alarm fires going on in the 5 boroughs right now....almost every FD unit responding has had significant delays due to unplowed streets. Not sure if you want me to post this stuff here or not (mods).....but there is a pretty disgusting list of problems that emergency responders had to deal with.

Yea did you hear about the ambulance wait time? 3 hours for emergencies because they were stuck! I mean are they serious? First this is not some southern city not used to snow and second this is New York, they should be on top of it. Pathetic cleanup performance. Bloomberg played it off like he was doing a good job too this guy is such a buffoon.

My inlaws live on 26th ave not too far from francis lewis and it's an absolute disgrace right now. They never lost power though.

I live close to Francis Lewis Blvd and even that still had a good amount of snow on it with only one lane open; two cars would not be able to drive side by side.

Dude I saw plows by Willets Point Blvd go up and down maybe 3 times. Meanwhile like you said ALL the streets leading to Willets were completely impassible. Thanks for nothing.

Hey, at least I got my power back a couple hours ago. At least Con Edison is out doing something. It did take them 18 hours though and in the winter with that wind out there it got cold in the house REAL FAST.

You guys have no idea how bad it was with regards to emergency operations....considering the media is in the pocket of Bloomberg its no surprise...but what occurred over the past 36 hours is an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, I heard things got pretty ugly from people I know who work for the city.

You've got to remember that this has been one of the worst storms in recorded NYC wx history, though. No amount of clean up power could have prepared a city the size of NYC for this storm.

Hudson Highlands was a disaster area last Feb. The snow was substantially deeper, and denser for that storm, causing extensive tree damage. This was a classic blizzard, but the impact was minor.

Yes, the impact of the February 25, 2010 storm was much more dramatic here; the snow was heavier and we had more of it. I measured 26" in the 2/25/10 event, and I know the Hudson Highlands had over 30" in many places. Winds were also a problem during that storm although not to the extent of last night. It was interesting how elevation dependent 2/25 was; for those with no elevation, this past storm was clearly better as everyone from NYC-C/N NJ got 20"+ right along the coastal plain but those who have elevation will remember 2/25 more. I live at 350' with woods up to 450' elevation in southern Westchester and measured 26"...I'm sure I could have seen 30" if I'd been another 1000' up and had better snow ratios.

The city has failed miserably. There is still the same abandoned car on my corner on one of the busiest main roads here. The city has a duty to clean the streets and remove abandoned cars that have been left for 12+ hours after the storm ended.

There are 3 multiple alarm fires going on in the 5 boroughs right now....almost every FD unit responding has had significant delays due to unplowed streets. Not sure if you want me to post this stuff here or not (mods).....but there is a pretty disgusting list of problems that emergency responders had to deal with.

Wow, thats disgusting

Yes, the impact of the February 25, 2010 storm was much more dramatic here; the snow was heavier and we had more of it. I measured 26" in the 2/25/10 event, and I know the Hudson Highlands had over 30" in many places. Winds were also a problem during that storm although not to the extent of last night. It was interesting how elevation dependent 2/25 was; for those with no elevation, this past storm was clearly better as everyone from NYC-C/N NJ got 20"+ right along the coastal plain but those who have elevation will remember 2/25 more. I live at 350' with woods up to 450' elevation in southern Westchester and measured 26"...I'm sure I could have seen 30" if I'd been another 1000' up and had better snow ratios.

2/25/10 in regards to snowfall totals will be remembered more up here but the wind aspect of this storm was on another level..

2/25/10 in regards to snowfall totals will be remembered more up here but the wind aspect of this storm was on another level..

Yes this was a true blizzard; we both "only" measured 13" but it was a high-quality event with temperatures in the teens, winds gusting over 50mph, and heavy snowfall rates. It really paralyzed NYC much more than 2/25 last year as well due to the colder temperatures and lack of preparation with the forecast changing so suddenly. I was very impressed, especially in a strong La Niña which is still intensifying; this event really shows what high-latitude blocking can do for us.

Absolutely incredible we were able to do this in a intense la nina. Another thing to point out is this storm was purely dynamically driven. The southern jet was fused into every storm last year to create widespread 2 ft amounts, but this storm you have to be stuck in those insane bands to get 25", which in this case we got very lucky we were in the best location...epic storm

Yes this was a true blizzard; we both "only" measured 13" but it was a high-quality event with temperatures in the teens, winds gusting over 50mph, and heavy snowfall rates. It really paralyzed NYC much more than 2/25 last year as well due to the colder temperatures and lack of preparation with the forecast changing so suddenly. I was very impressed, especially in a strong La Niña which is still intensifying; this event really shows what high-latitude blocking can do for us.

i find it interesting that many people factor cold temperatures into whether or not an event was high quality. As I mentioned in another thread, I rate events on a different scale. I believe expectations play a big role in how an event ranks. The fact that most everyone thought this thing was out to sea on Friday morning adds big bonus points in my mind. In the same frame of thought, an event that plays with the freezing mark is just a heck of a lot more fun. You're playing with danger, and you're never quite sure what is going to happen. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

i find it interesting that many people factor cold temperatures into whether or not an event was high quality. As I mentioned in another thread, I rate events on a different scale. I believe expectations play a big role in how an event ranks. The fact that most everyone thought this thing was out to sea on Friday morning adds big bonus points in my mind. In the same frame of thought, an event that plays with the freezing mark is just a heck of a lot more fun. You're playing with danger, and you're never quite sure what is going to happen. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I certainly agree with you here....the model mayhem and "good" bust prior to the storm increased my excitement about it. Many people in NJ/NYC saw 20-30" snowfall when they were supposed to get nothing three days before the event on computer modeling. It was a very exciting event to track and a good lesson to be always vigilant when a coastal storm is nearby with a strong -NAO. 13" was an excellent total for a storm that was expected to go out to sea.

I did like the dangerous element of the 2/25 event last year, with the freezing line sitting right over my house but managing to stay all snow...watching it pound snow in Dobbs Ferry while a few miles away it was raining in other areas of Westchester. There was a bit of triumph associated with staying all snow throughout the day and racking up 26" because of my elevation and luck. But I also feel that cold temperatures can add to the sensation of a blizzard being dangerous and crippling. When I think of blizzards, I think of what they experience in the High Plains, like the Children's Blizzard of 1888. Arctic winds and dropping temperatures are part of this experience. I also like the fact that, in general, we're seeing colder airmasses this winter...this is probably due to the La Niña ensuring Canada sees some cold air and the general reduction in global temperatures with such a cold Pacific and solar minimum.

You guys have no idea how bad it was with regards to emergency operations....considering the media is in the pocket of Bloomberg its no surprise...but what occurred over the past 36 hours is an absolute disgrace.

It's no better on the New Jersey shore. Blizzard of 2003 they came around and plowed 3-4 times. This time around, 30 hours since the snow stopped and not a single sign of a plow. The main roads are still impassable with tons of stranded cars. Governor is on vacation in Florida.

It's unacceptable.

Complete disaster out on roads. Never seen roads like this. Not even in 1996.

NYC department of sanitation had layoffs and funds cut and they say and cant handle the plowing.

WOW.

Every side street from Astoria to Bayside looks like this. Completely impassable.

2zf93k7.jpg

2iqei68.jpg

You cut teachers: you get 60 kids a class.

You cut cops: crime goes up.

You cut sanitation: the city is paralyzed.

Lesson: you don't cut essential services.

Maybe we should have periodical brown outs? Or running water only for 18 hours a day?

You cut teachers: you get 60 kids a class.

You cut cops: crime goes up.

You cut sanitation: the city is paralyzed.

Lesson: you don't cut essential services.

Maybe we should have periodical brown outs? Or running water only for 18 hours a day?

Our brilliant mayor is waiting for that "big" warm up to do the cleaning up for us.

Archived