Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New York City, Northern NJ, Long Island, Southeast NY, Connecticut OBS

earthlight

I live in Brooklyn. Should I drive into the city to park in a garage? STFU fool

I have (NYC, upper west side) and I didn't park on the street during snow emergencies situations like these (over a foot of snow). I always parked in the garages. When you think about it, it's really not that cost prohibitive. $40 for 2 days is really not that bad. I know an hour worth of my time (shoveling and trying to get my car out of the spot) is worth a lot more than $40.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. I was out driving last year in all the big storms and none of them were as bad as this week's. Those who were driving in it were complete morons and should have their cars towed

Too bad a snow emergency wasn't declared where cars would have to get off major streets....just another failure in response to this storm.

Getting support for your foolish suggestion doesn't make it any more legitimate

I love how people are trying to tell us what to do in our own city lol. There was a reason **** like Feb 1969 happened. Im glad this guy said he isnt running again because if he did, he would lose.

Frankly I don't see what else could have been done. Thing was was beyond stuck. Of course it was operator error to begin with.

Another reason why I wouldn't park on the street, especially during storms.

Dude you obviously have never lived in a city. If it made any sense for average joes to park in garages everyone would do it.

Are you telling me Brooklyn, Queens, or Bronx does not have parking garages??? Or are you just too cheap to pay $20 for the spot?

No need to be hostile. I have lived in Queens, and NYC as well.

I've lived in Queens all my life. Can you please tell me where the garages are?

No garages and even if there were they'd cost more than $20 for two days+. My building has a garage for $150 a month, wanna pay for me? I'm not being hostile; you're being an idiot.

Are you telling me Brooklyn, Queens, or Bronx does not have parking garages??? Or are you just too cheap to pay $20 for the spot?

No need to be hostile. I have lived in Queens, and NYC as well.

I'm convinced you work for these garages. Quit advertising your business here

You figured me out.

Look, I understand your point of view. But take a look at it from the sanitation's dept point of view. They are short staffed, working to remove over 20" snow from a "concrete jungle" with no where to put it. Having cars parked on the street does not help their cause. I'm quite sure that the dept has 100% of their crew working to plow the streets. If not, shame on the administration.

Do I think NYC did a poor job handling the situation (no snow emergency, etc)? Yes. Do I think they are doing as best as they can given the resources? Yes.

You figured me out.

Look, I understand your point of view. But take a look at it from the sanitation's dept point of view. They are short staffed, working to remove over 20" snow from a "concrete jungle" with no where to put it. Having cars parked on the street does not help their cause. I'm quite sure that the dept has 100% of their crew working to plow the streets. If not, shame on the administration.

Do I think NYC did a poor job handling the situation (no snow emergency, etc)? Yes. Do I think they are doing as best as they can given the resources? Yes.

It's their own damn fault they dont have the resources-- the resources were there until they got removed.

The response is bad...what's worse is the mayor saying" its just a normal monday....take in a broadway show and go shopping." At least for me that's where the fustration stems from. I also don't understand why when fdny was begging for a state of emergency to be declared oem denied that request. It must be financial.....

Not to pin Bloomberg's or whoever's mess on the HPC, but part of the issues related to slow response/stuck buses and cars maybe be could partly attributed to not enough lead up time, warning, about the storm. Maybe if the city had another two or three days to prepare, it would have been better coordinated. I thought I read somewhere they were scrambling XMAS day to find plow drivers cause many regular ones were out of town on vacation.

This brings me back to this point. Remember XMAS eve when the 12z GFS came out showing New York would get nailed. We all were getting a bit worked up over it, but HPC kept insisting it was potentially bad data and didn't seem to believe it. I think it took until the 00z runs on XMAS day before they came on board, and watches did not go up until sometime that night, if I recall correctly.

I wonder if that initial 12z GFS run hadn't been dismissed, perhaps everyone would have had an extra 12 hours to get ready.

I dont know man-- how often do we have 3 days lead in to a storm.

Compounding the problem was the Mayor himself said he had been tracking the storm "for days" at his little press conference (the same one when he told people not to worry because the snow would all be melted by the weekend.)

I disagree with you based on the facts I've seen

1) There were two tractors removing snow from a dead end street that serves no more than 20 or so cars and dumping the snow in piles on the main road. Let me illustrate with some pics of that

164305_181232958567922_100000436587202_586552_3174977_n.jpg

165176_181233555234529_100000436587202_586558_6948098_n.jpg

2) Plows came no less than 20 times plowing the same plowed street all day yesterday while ignoring the rest

The city wasted hours plowing plowed roads while ignoring all other main thoroughfares and they were out in force at the beginning of the storm but disappeared after. Short staffed or not, they did not prioritize well at all which is why I blame the mayor, sanitation and all others who are responsible for this. The only ones not to be blamed are EMS and FDNY although the 911 system failed miserably

You figured me out.

The city should be capable of getting everything together with a day's notice. It's not like we're living in Miami where snow is unheard of

Not to pin Bloomberg's or whoever's mess on the HPC, but part of the issues related to slow response/stuck buses and cars maybe be could partly attributed to not enough lead up time, warning, about the storm. Maybe if the city had another two or three days to prepare, it would have been better coordinated. I thought I read somewhere they were scrambling XMAS day to find plow drivers cause many regular ones were out of town on vacation.

This brings me back to this point. Remember XMAS eve when the 12z GFS came out showing New York would get nailed. We all were getting a bit worked up over it, but HPC kept insisting it was potentially bad data and didn't seem to believe it. I think it took until the 00z runs on XMAS day before they came on board, and watches did not go up until sometime that night, if I recall correctly.

I wonder if that initial 12z GFS run hadn't been dismissed, perhaps everyone would have had an extra 12 hours to get ready.

Plenty up and down Queens Blvd in Forest Hills. In your case (Flushing), garages are off of Main Street, Roosevelt Ave, and Northern Blvd. Plus, there's a covered muni lot in the heart of Flushing.

Lol I am 4 miles to the NE of there. Should I walk the rest of the way?

I just got in from shoveling with my friend. We made about 200 bucks each. It took us a while to shovel those houses/cars though because the snow isn't soft anymore. Some of the blocks around here are just unpassable. Some sidestreets we went to had about 12 inches in the street. It looked like the plows didn't even plow those streets. Also, there is a van that has been stuck in front of my driveway since Sunday. We called the cops but they didn't come yet. What a mess it is. There are also a long line of cars that extends about 12 blocks. Cars are still getting stuck left and right. I can't believe this is happening. Also, a lot of buses and ambulances are also getting stuck.

Another thing is that my friend's car got hit by a plow. His mirrors were blasted off and he has scratches all over his car.

I disagree with you based on the facts I've seen

1) There were two tractors removing snow from a dead end street that serves no more than 20 or so cars and dumping the snow in piles on the main road. Let me illustrate with some pics of that

164305_181232958567922_100000436587202_586552_3174977_n.jpg

165176_181233555234529_100000436587202_586558_6948098_n.jpg

2) Plows came no less than 20 times plowing the same plowed street all day yesterday while ignoring the rest

The city wasted hours plowing plowed roads while ignoring all other main thoroughfares and they were out in force at the beginning of the storm but disappeared after. Short staffed or not, they did not prioritize well at all which is why I blame the mayor, sanitation and all others who are responsible for this. The only ones not to be blamed are EMS and FDNY although the 911 system failed miserably

Maybe the chief of the sanitation dept lived on that street? :D

The best I can tell you is this. If you want your voice heard, go to a town hall meeting. Ask questions. Do what is necessary to get your voice heard. Maybe even run for office. If not, all you are doing is complaining and nothing will ever come of it.

My building has a garage for $150 a month, ...

And you're complaining? Are you serious? If I could get a parking spot for $150/mo I'd be ecstatic and I only need it for 10 hours a day 5 days a week. What kind of time do you spend each month moving your car around and sweating the alternate side stuff? That has to be worth more than $150/mo.

Plenty up and down Queens Blvd in Forest Hills. In your case (Flushing), garages are off of Main Street, Roosevelt Ave, and Northern Blvd. Plus, there's a covered muni lot in the heart of Flushing.

I can tell you're not familiar with the area from the recommendations you made. First, the garages you mentioned are actually parking lots. The only one that is covered (partially) is not a garage but somewhere to leave your car when shopping. Second, they are no where near me.

NE Queens and other areas of the city look more like the suburbs than the urban landscape that is Manhattan. Anyone opening a REAL garage around here would go out of business fast.

I can tell you're not familiar with the area from the recommendations you made. First, the garages you mentioned are actually parking lots. The only one that is covered (partially) is not a garage but somewhere to leave your car when shopping. Second, they are no where near me.

NE Queens and other areas of the city look more like the suburbs than the urban landscape that is Manhattan. Anyone opening a REAL garage around here would go out of business fast.

Plenty familiar with the area. I have lived in Corona, Forest Hills, and Fresh Meadows for a total of 10 years. I still have lots of family and friends in and around Flushing and I'm there just about every week. I know what it looks like. LOL.

Have you ever gone to the garage on Main St? It's more than a covered shopping garage. Yes, the Muni lot is not a garage, but it's covered and free on Sundays, just like the streets.

Archived