joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
My First HECS on the Boards.....

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a snow bomb, but the winds weren't close to verifying at BTV.

OT i know but...

we never get winds to verify here, but there is something to be said about SN+ and winds to 25-30mph and temps in the single digits and windchills -20F or below

not a blizzard but lol

certainly life threatening.

classification of blizzard is interesting.

I had the most fun with that kind of thing on Vancouver Island, BC back in '96. Literall every 50 feet of elevation over the Pacific was adding an inch of snow accumulation and a raging white out at 500 feet. 33 and rain at the shoreline.

That's awesome... very much like an elevation event but instead of snow increasing with each vertical foot, you've got snow increasing with each horizontal foot. I love seeing that stuff up close and reminds me of plenty of elevation events where you can be standing at a wet coating and walk 20 feet uphill and watch the snow increase with each step.

That banding is sick off of NJ. You guys in western NE should rock. Deformation and mid level frontogenesis always rocks.

Thanks for the update, Scott. Needless to say, I hope so!

My 6-year old daughter keeps asking me "when's it REALLY going to snow?" (I've taught her how to intepret radar to help)..

Totally discouraging to see my snowblower that won't start gathering snow on the driveway.

Lots of blowing snow, but top gust I've recorded is only 17mph. I think that' aboue 2mph over my normal daily high gust. lol. Blow's probably tied to the fact that this is incredibly dry. 18.5/14.

I'm thinking 12-18 CT/NYC/W & C Mass.

10-15" from Boston on south into SE Mass including PVD and points S & E in RI.

Someone gets 20"+ in western NE.

Great ratios.

Someone around Bob to Boston to PYM will have some heavy precip later tonight in heavy banding. They could jackpot too in terms of QPF.

FWIW, mix of rain and snow here now, soon as it lightened up it flipped.

1/2 mile visibility and SN here now. Solid coating of snow. It has really picked up in the past 30 minutes. Temperature dropping into the upper teens, paving the way for some great ratios out here. It wouldn't surprise me if we see 15 to 20 to 1 ratios. Deformation banding should be great in W MA, NW CT, and SW VT.

It was just said the Scarlett Johnason comment was the best post of the day.

I disagree--its'a close second to the boldest statement above!

This is the one thing concerning eastern areas. Both models indicate lack of deep moisture over this area. It does get better after 06z, but something to watch. I've seen it before.

By eastern areas you mean east of I95? That's essentially what NOAA is saying south of Boston.

For me it's heavy echoes near the MVY area or nada, lighter echoes don't do squat.

When you look at this map it's probably not quite far enough NW, but it catches the dual banding we are seeing setup no?

pcp3.12.0000.gif

Definitely a snow bomb, but the winds weren't close to verifying at BTV.

Yeah I remember being disappointed by that. I think it was the fact that even though we were only 20-30mph winds during that, the single digit temps allowed for a snow that just begged to be blown around. The blowing and drifting from that one was incredible and we had drifts over 6 feet in our backyard. Was in my senior year of collage at the time and it was the only time I've ever skied off roof-tops in Burlington.

Excellent... 18.3F and OVC here.

We start with some snowcover here.. About 2" on average in open areas and in the woods 3"...a few spots 4". Residual stuff from lake effect bouts and that anafrontal sitiuation a few weeks ago behind the lakes cutter.

Rick, best of luck on this one. Currently 18/15 here with ENE winds sustained around 10 with occasional gusts to 16-18, moderate snow. About the same pre-storm coverage here. Very light, dry snow already being whipped around. White Smoke skiing in the early AM.

This will be a punishing night here in the high terrain. So very stoked.

Excellent... 18.3F and OVC here.

We start with some snowcover here.. About 2" on average in open areas and in the woods 3"...a few spots 4". Residual stuff from lake effect bouts and that anafrontal sitiuation a few weeks ago behind the lakes cutter.

I was surprised my parents have about 1" on the ground here... the type of snow cover where the top of the grass blades are still showing. My dad said this is left from 2-3" of snow showers they got like a week ago or something.

NWS Albany is going ballz-to-the-wallz for the Berkshires... Mike and Pete should enjoy this.

343 PM EST SUN DEC 26 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST MONDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS: CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN CATSKILLS...MID HUDSON VALLEY

AND THE BERKSHIRES.

* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS...BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF

SNOW WITH LOW VISIBILITY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW.

That's too slow wit the .01 qpf line in ENY. Snow is currently breaking out around ALB and that has the .01 line 20 miles south of ALB at 0Z.

By eastern areas you mean east of I95? That's essentially what NOAA is saying south of Boston.

For me it's heavy echoes near the MVY area or nada, lighter echoes don't do squat.

When you look at this map it's probably not quite far enough NW, but it catches the dual banding we are seeing setup no?

pcp3.12.0000.gif

Phil buddy reports snow on the Vineyard still too. It's a weird effect here I really do think it's just being right on the water.

I'm pretty sure if the 30-40dbz make it here it will be concrete snows.

Messenger, where do you think that 35-45 dbz will end up going? looks like it will rip right through SE Mass between you and me

Archived