Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,540
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Joined

May 2024 General Discussion


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, madwx said:

0.41" here.  7.13" on the month

Y'know what would be nice, if it stopped raining here for a couple days. We have had 6+" of rain since last Monday, with more tomorrow. And its been like an inch or more of rain everytime it rains. Even yesterday's more moderate rain still had a heavy cell that pushed us over an inch here and dumped 2+ between Fall River and Beaver Dam. A brief break on Wednesday/Thursday before even more rain chances over the weekend. All of the rivers are at bankfull, the marshes are getting flooded, and most fields have at least a bit of standing water in them. Easily the most water we have had since 2019. If we get a major rain event (like 4"+ or even 2" if it falls very quickly) we are going to have some major problems across the area. It doesn't even need to be an 07/08/18 style marathon. Even a May 04 event would be very bad rn with how saturated we are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Supposed to get down to the low-mid 40s for a couple nights. Kinda worried about some of my hot peppers I just put in pots this past weekend.

Someone in the Great Lakes region is getting low 30s and messing up their garden. I’ve got everything planted so I’m watching it close 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Someone in the Great Lakes region is getting low 30s and messing up their garden. I’ve got everything planted so I’m watching it close 

GRR mentioned the possibility of frost in the norther sections of the forecast area.  I have to think Gaylord and some of the surrounding areas are in line for a frost or two this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

GRR mentioned the possibility of frost in the norther sections of the forecast area.  I have to think Gaylord and some of the surrounding areas are in line for a frost or two this week.

Point has 38 tonight and 35 tomorrow night but inland a bit, upper 20’s and low 30’s tomorrow night. 
To be safe will have to cover a few things as I have already planted heartier veggies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Point has 38 tonight and 35 tomorrow night but inland a bit, upper 20’s and low 30’s tomorrow night. 
To be safe will have to cover a few things as I have already planted heartier veggies. 

Im going to say coldest on the Ontario side (populated region) will be upper 20s somewhere around Algonquin-Timmins. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Spartman said:

Looks cooler than normal for the final few days of the month.

How do you always traipse in when cool or cloudy weather are about to hit, and silent the other 90% of the time?

Through the first 27 days of May, there have been just 3 days below normal. Dayton is 5th warmest to date.

image.png.65c8e52ff42a2d86b92b13084930200b.png

For context, there have been 25 Junes that saw temperatures at or below 69F, and a handful of others that were just fractionally warmer.

image.png.d1e3a5dd1adf590dc65b1940958db203.png

Two Julys were within 0.9F:

image.png.51c8ac8b829a2b08f78b3d23d42ac6e3.png

And six Augusts at or below 69F:

image.png.ba108df7a8a18d74d3a6fa1a499f7868.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to the foregoing, it is the 2nd warmest spring to date at Dayton, and easily the warmest year to date.

image.png.36731cde96251f86b2ac10d154a09c08.png

image.png.33d503f55ec45a201971ff38f0611008.png

The mean temperature of 48.6F for the period of January 1 to May 27 in 2024 at Dayton matches or exceeds 11 years at Oklahoma City, OK in the 98 years between 1895 & 1993, with several other years just a fraction of a degree warmer. That means roughly 1 out of 9 years in the 20th century at Oklahoma City were cooler to date than this year has been in Dayton.

image.png.43fb921e5723bc8f277b5b259695d451.png

It also matches or exceeds 19 years between 1872 & 1996 at Knoxville, Tennessee, with several years just marginally warmer. Doing the math, that means more than 1 of every 7 years from the late 19th century and 20th century in Knoxville would have been cooler to date than Dayton is in 2024.

image.png.b2681f19b9c3c23a7284691e1c7b5d9f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ya, I’ll be covering the garden. Getting a bit more nervous now 

Looking at the forecast map, interior parts of the yoop will likely see some freezing temps tomorrow night.  I should be around 35 but will take no chances as that's solid frost territory and with the hills and valleys locally, colder pockets do form around here. Probably will be the last frost for me as my proximity to the lake makes it more difficult moving forward but I have seen 30's for lows in June, July, and August and in fact, in interior areas 30's are fairly common from time to time in the summer.

ndfd_sfctmin2.us_state_mi_up.thumb.png.b9ca6264fdbd372314e0ea0f4d94dd10.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Looking at the forecast map, interior parts of the yoop will likely see some freezing temps tomorrow night.  I should be around 35 but will take no chances as that's solid frost territory and with the hills and valleys locally, colder pockets do form around here. Probably will be the last frost for me as my proximity to the lake makes it more difficult moving forward but I have seen 30's for lows in June, July, and August and in fact, in interior areas 30's are fairly common from time to time in the summer.

ndfd_sfctmin2.us_state_mi_up.thumb.png.b9ca6264fdbd372314e0ea0f4d94dd10.png

Pretty wild when you think that a cold lake saves your sensitive vegetation in Marquette while Bo's tomatoes and chickens get blasted inland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The northland sees frost and freezing temps in the summer months more often then you’d think.
 

A quick google search reveals it dropped to 30 in Embarrass MN on 8/24/17, International Falls had a record low of 34 on 8/2/18, Seagull hit 32 and Hibbing 34 on 7/8/2021. Plenty more examples too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

The northland sees frost and freezing temps in the summer months more often then you’d think.
 

A quick google search reveals it dropped to 30 in Embarrass MN on 8/24/17, International Falls had a record low of 34 on 8/2/18, Seagull hit 32 and Hibbing 34 on 7/8/2021. Plenty more examples too.

Ishpeming, Marquette County

368862295_279031274871346_1275375292860551681_n.thumb.jpg.d0ca7c90a707f51f38181b6765157cca.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, it gets a little chilly sometimes up here in the Summer. This morning it looks like we had temps 30-35 in the inland areas of NE MN. Another round tomorrow morning, too, before it warms up a bit for the weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As expected, most of the N woods of MI, WI and MN are under a frost advisory tonight.  Beautiful day under 100% sun with a high of 59, chilly north wind.  Currently sitting at 58/30.  The temp will fall quickly as the fun falls below the hills south and west of me.  Quick warm up to around 70 tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upper 20's-mid 30's this morning across NE MN. Should be the last significant run of chilly mornings. Lake breeze yesterday kept temps around 60, with 50's right on the shoreline. Should be the same today. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Weather station read 33 at 5 am this morning with a heavy frost. Hopefully last of the season!

Cool spots:

Baraga Plains, Baraga County 25

Stonington, Delta County 26

Champion, Mqt County 27

Doe Lake, Schoolcraft County 28

Marquette Sawyer 32

Hopefully, that's hardcore freeze for late May. We might tease frost level temps next week for a day, but should be out of the woods for temps like that.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...