Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Congrats Dendrite Deck Destroyer 3/23-3/25 obs discussion

Ginx snewx

4 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

I’ll send some updates from Saddleback tomorrow and Sunday.   Wind seems ok tomorrow.  Sunday looks worse but they are pretty good at getting the t bar to kennebago going.  

Nice! I was looking at around Rangeley getting really hammered especially with there elevation. 

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

As a resident of a dead end, I appreciate the reminder.

Also on a dead end (a high-clearance vehicle May-November) and burned a couple of tanksful thru the 353 Husky on Dec 18, and another couple junking up the big basswood that I'd merely done enough to clear the road back then.

Hey, LL Bean makes good stuff.  My current winter boots are 20+ years old and have served me well in tromping thru the state's Public Lots thru 2020-21, deer hunting, snow-blowing, ice fishing et al.  Don't let the yuppies that wear chamois shirts and Bean boots to the office keep you away.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We had a ZR event (almost half inch accretion) in srn CT in April 2016. So if you can maintain ageo flow and not have it rot at a calm 32F..you will get accretion. I could see low spots sort of rotting near 32, but up towards 1K and with exposure to the E and NE, drop a couple and get accretion. You'll want a steady breeze basically.

icing events in Acton growing up were always neighborhood chimney smoke drifting S. 

it's a bit of nostalgia to smell that with the smell of accreting ice air.   Lamps glowing through windows, while the sound of timber straining around the trees. 

but that's where it ends for me.   When the lamps turn off ... I'd rather it not

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The 18z HRRR is colder then the 12z run, Pretty bullish, A couple more tics south again.

trend-hrrr-2024032218-f038.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne.gif

It looks from that animation that it's not colder thermodynamic -wise but is output colder due to the event being slightly earlier.  The whole thing is sped up.  You can see because the event exits the western half of the domain earlier.   If the system speeds up, it can avail of what cold air there is more proficiently. 

The sensible result is colder but the why-for isn't precisely colder in the physics.   interesting..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It looks from that animation that it's not colder thermodynamic -wise but is output colder due to being earlier.  The whole thing is sped up.  You can see because the event exist the western half of the domain earlier.   If the system speeds up, it can avail of what cold air there is more proficiently. 

The sensible result is colder but the why-for is precisely colder in the physics.   interesting..

Dews here are right at 0°F today.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Dews here are right at 0°F today.

Yeah ...I know, it's been head scratching why the models overcome the hygroscopic cooling in the BL so easily given the low travels S of ORH?   least last check...  maybe that's changed.   But this has "tuck" written on to me - it's going to be interesting to see if a 950 mb backward jet gets going and over SE NH

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I never discount the NAM mid-level furnace surge. Somebody is getting a lot of sleet with this storm.

I should take bets on how long i can keep this upright tomorrow..........:(

image.jpeg.7e0e07921022bb08bf8d55f2cac708d3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

A bit torched aloft still, I wouldn't discount it.

and I don't.   I think it's okay aloft but would not be surprised if colder holds tough in the lowest layers near the ground.  I could see the top of Monadcock Mt 37F while 29 down near the reception lodge at max before the whole thing collapses SE.