Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2024 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

42 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Is the St of VT cash paid by the taxpayer?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

No. I believe they used federal DOT funding. 

State Incentives

Vermont's National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Planning

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) NEVI Formula Program requires the Vermont Agency of Transportation (AOT) to submit an annual EV Infrastructure Deployment Plan (Plan) to the DOT and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Office of Energy and Transportation (Joint Office), describing how the state intends to distribute NEVI funds. The submitted plans must be established according to NEVI guidance(PDF).

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/all?state=VT

On 3/16/2024 at 6:22 AM, BrianW said:

If anyone in VT is looking to go electric for a vehicle the rebates up there are the best in the US.

This is from a recently purchased f150 lighting.

Green Mountain Power is also offering charging at significantly reduced rates of .13 kwh. The math works out at those rates that the savings over gas are astronomical.

Screenshot_20240316_061606_Reddit.jpg

Your welcome for my tax contribution to your beast

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

graed to a high efficiency and got a rebate and ended up paying less for the HE one and it saveEVs don’t have a monopoly on subsidies. 
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/restore-clean-energy-incentives-big-oil-FS.pdf

I needed to replace my heating/cooling system, I updated to a high efficiency system and with the rebate cost less than the regular one, I also paid about half of what I usually pay for heating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I've been reading about issues with it and a lot of complaints from people who bought one.

Well it's the first one, only will get better over time.  Need some breakthroughs in battery tech to really take off. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I needed to replace my heating/cooling system, I updated to a high efficiency system and with the rebate cost less than the regular one, I also paid about half of what I usually pay for heating.

Curious about this - what kind of system were you replacing and what did you go with?  Assuming you replaced a traditional oil burner boiler?

5 minutes ago, Layman said:

Curious about this - what kind of system were you replacing and what did you go with?  Assuming you replaced a traditional oil burner boiler?

I had a forced warm air by oil furnace, I replaced with a forced warm air hybrid so it used electric very miserly unless it gets real cold, then it kicks into using oil, I used less oil than when I burned wood (oil is also for hot water heater) and the most my electric bill went up was still under $100. Of course it was a mild winter so not sure how it would do in a winter like 2015. Basically a hybrid is the same idea as the mini-splits but since I already have ducts I went that route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The next 5 years or so should be game changing regarding EV batteries.  Solid state ones from Toyota etc are coming.

Probably too expensive for a bit, but that should allay fears over range etc.       Still not making the leap anytime soon

Me neither, give them a few more years and when the new batteries are perfected then it might be worth looking into.

@kdxkennot trying to clog the obs. thread. I bring logs and buy lumber from a friend of mine who is a sawyer in Windham. This one had to be on a trailer for a few reasons but I'd like to build another one not on a trailer and maybe dabble in selling hardwoods. Mostly as an excuse to hoard lots of beautiful wood. Couldn't fit it in the kiln today but this last load I brought up included some really nice ambrosia maple. I love wood.

Screenshot_20240321-205540.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sled said:

@kdxkennot trying to clog the obs. thread. I bring logs and buy lumber from a friend of mine who is a sawyer in Windham. This one had to be on a trailer for a few reasons but I'd like to build another one not on a trailer and maybe dabble in selling hardwoods. Mostly as an excuse to hoard lots of beautiful wood. Couldn't fit it in the kiln today but this last load I brought up included some really nice ambrosia maple. I love wood.

Screenshot_20240321-205540.png

That's a nice solar kiln, I was going to build on with plastic instead of glass but that's just another thing on my to do list I may never get to.

10 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's a nice solar kiln, I was going to build on with plastic instead of glass but that's just another thing on my to do list I may never get to.

Thanks. I had the glass from replacing all the 1970's sliders on my house so it just worked out. Have enough to do another one from other glass I've collected. Feel free to ask questions if you ever get around to it. Took me about a week to build it and I think $3500 at the height of plywood costs. That includes the cost of the trailer which I had already and a brand new Wagner moisture meter. Spent a little more since then too. Added diesel powered heater I can hook up at the end of the cycle to sterilize. Frankly, if you're a hobbyist I wouldn't bother. It's been a real asset for my business though... As long as the sun is shining anyway haha.

Just now, Sled said:

Thanks. I had the glass from replacing all the 1970's sliders on my house so it just worked out. Have enough to do another one from other glass I've collected. Feel free to ask questions if you ever get around to it. Took me about a week to build it and I think $3500 at the height of plywood costs. That includes the cost of the trailer which I had already and a brand new Wagner moisture meter. Spent a little more since then too. Added diesel powered heater I can hook up at the end of the cycle to sterilize. Frankly, if you're a hobbyist I wouldn't bother. It's been a real asset for my business though... As long as the sun is shining anyway haha.

I have a bunch of wood already that I bought before prices went sky high, I wanted to build it for my firewood for my stove to get it nice and dry to burn and keep it out of the weather. Just haven't had the time to put it all together.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

I have a bunch of wood already that I bought before prices went sky high, I wanted to build it for my firewood for my stove to get it nice and dry to burn and keep it out of the weather. Just haven't had the time to put it all together.

That's one of those things where it seems like a great idea all winter but when it comes time to do it in the spring there's always about 10 things ahead of it on the list lol. It was on my list for years until I had to do it to dry a bunch of 8/4 ash that the nearest commercial kiln wouldn't do until it air dried for a year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Looks like weather is going to put a bit of a hold on the barn project, so here's an update! See also the (mostly accurate) framing model I put together. (I don't plan on leaving the rafter tails like that, for example.)

20240320_170201compressed.jpg

Barn_Final_V1 (4).png

Barn_Final_V1 (3).png

Nice work ! Will be nice for next winter, shelter is everything! 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:31 PM, Jebman said:

Dont look now, but Jay Peak got 38 inches snow THIS week, and they got another storm incoming!

https://jaypeakresort.com/skiing-riding/snow-report-maps/weather-tim-kelley

Dry snow! Head for Jay! Carve us out some AWESOME turns!

My wife’s cousin in Evergreen CO got over 8 feet of snow last week and an additional 4 feet the last few days

She’s at 8000’ asl or something 

• Like 2