Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter 2024

George BM

48 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm legit sorry for you...and yeah, UberEats has bit us in the ass a few times in recent years on stuff like this. SIGH. Back to the never-ending quest for DFH 120...   :( 

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Found quite a few locations within a few miles of you that supposedly have World Wide Stout. Cant go wrong with that. Nothing for the 120s.

:tomato:

IMG_3661.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Tenley town liquors.  Like 20 mins from my spot. 

Awesome.

Three quarters through one here + a little weed. Going to put it aside for now and switch to a Pinot Grigio. About to eat some sushi. 

• Like 1

Its unbelievable what this storm is forecasted to dump on Tahoe and Mammoth. By the end of the new week, Tahoe could have an ADDITIONAL 10-11 FEET, this is on top of what has ALREADY FALLEN lmao!

Tahoe may have about 15-25 inches already. They have been under massive assault by this storm since early Thursday, thru Thursday night thru Friday into tonight/this morning. MUCH MUCH more yet to come.

Winds are gusting into the 100-110 range, creating gray out/white out conditions. This can be seen on the Woolly Cam at Mammoth, even at this time with many of the resort outdoor lights switched off.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/woolly-cam

MUCH more heavy snow and high wind to come today Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday. More snow Monday as well.

Tahoe or Mammoth or Truckee are great places to get a snow fix in.

Tractor blade guy is at it again, this time he has more snow to plow. He's got his work cut out for him tryin to keep the resort plowed. This storm is relentless. I hope people are not out trying to drive in this.

That woolly cam, it is a near constant GRAY OUT from very high winds just blasting unbelievable amounts of heavy snow! Thats NOT fog. Its very heavy snow being blasted to heck by insane wind velocities! Some of those gusts are well in excess of 120 mph!

This is NO TIME to jebwalk!

What you are seeing on the Woolly cam is tractor blade is pushing snow then a snowblower truck is blowing the piled up snow into a holding container in the back of the truck. They are moving the snow. It's coming down so fast they are removing it at intervals. They are gonna be busy all weekend.

Katabatic is in Donner Pass. He is getting a SERIOUS SNOW FIX right now I'll bet!

On 2/29/2024 at 9:51 PM, George BM said:

Forecast Discussion

Saturday, March 16, 2024 3:28PM EDT

Blizzard Warning in effect from 8AM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 3PM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024

High Wind Warning in effect from 9AM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 6PM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024

Hurricane-Force Wind Warning in effect from 2PM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 6AM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024 (for tidal-Potomac and Chesapeake Bay)

Life-Threatening Late-Winter Storm to cripple the region.

Temps are currently holding in the mid-50sF across the DC metro area but are already starting to fall in far northern Maryland as the cold front associated with the strong northern stream system drops south through the region. Temps will plummet out of the 50s and through the 40s and 30s through the evening and reach the lower 20s in many areas by morning as the unusually cold airmass pushes in. As this occurs through the late afternoon and evening hours skies will become overcast both from lift associated with the southward moving cold front and from the strong southern stream system to our south/southwest. There may be enough lift and moisture associated with the front for some light sprinkles and/or a few flurries/light snow showers to develop through the evening before precip slips to the southeast. Northerly winds will become quite gusty during this time with gusts of 25 to 40 mph.

As the strong southern storm system moves toward the coastal Carolinas tonight it will begin to phase with a second powerful northern stream vort diving south from the eastern Great Lakes/ Toronto region leading to strong diffluence over the surface low leading to rapid deepening. The two will pinwheel around each other as they phase bringing the southern storm and associated surface low northwards as rapid deepening takes place allowing snow to overspread the region by morning from southeast to northwest. The snow will quickly become heavy as NE winds increase with gusts to over 50 mph across the region likely by midday. Temperatures during this time will be in the lower 20sF leading to windchills in the single digits. By the late afternoon/evening the surface low will slow down and eventually stall over the Virginia peninsula/ southern Chesapeake Bay area. The surface pressure could be as low as the mid-950s in millibars breaking monthly low-pressure records in that area. Meanwhile, the areas northwest of the surface low (the greater Washington DC and Baltimore metros) will be getting the worst of this storm with blinding snowfall and widespread 60-75+ mph wind gusts w/ 80-90+ mph gusts along the coast of the Bay. In fact, snowfall rates in the heaviest bands will likely be in the 4-6”+/hr range leading to visibilities as low as 50 feet (effectively zero visibility for the sake of argument) from the late afternoon hours through the night and into Monday morning. Temperatures will remain in the 20s throughout the duration of this event with upper teens possible in the higher elevations north and west and temperatures closer to 32F in far southern MD and along the bay where warmer air will be located near the surface low. Windchills during the duration of the event will stay in the single-digits for most w/ negative single-digits in the mountains and lower teens in southern MD and along the bay.

Near-whiteout and conditions and severe wind gusts will still be ongoing by dawn Monday as the low-pressure system slowly pulls northeastwards. Heavy snow will continue through the late morning to midday hours before tapering off from west to east. When all is set and done with total liquid-equivalent precipitation of 4-7”+ across the region, snowfall totals of 4 to 6 FEET will likely be commonplace with snow drifts of as high as 30 feet possible. Areas in southern MD and near the Bay may end up with slightly less (roughly 2 to 4 feet) as the warmer air associated with the low-pressure center cuts down on totals in that area.

This will be the worst blizzard, by far, to impact the region since weather records started in the later 1800s. It will essentially be a high-impact hurricane with snow instead of rain as the main precip-type. People who venture outside during this time may get disoriented and lost in the whiteout conditions and/or get seriously injured by flying debris. Emergency services may not be able to reach you for days should something happen to you outside. This is the DC and Baltimore urban corridor not Lake Tahoe or the Japanese Alps. We’re not equipped with the snow removal equipment that they have. So, if you absolutely must venture outside during the storm no caution that you use would be too extreme given the circumstances.

Temperatures will only rebound to the lower 30s as skies start clearing by mid to late afternoon on Monday.

Forecaster Wannabe: George BM

You are NO wannabe.

Best I have ever read from you, George BM! That storm could have been pulled straight out of the Sierra Blizzard! Wow!

75 mph winds with snow, 30 foot drifts! Wow wow wow wow wow!

If something like this happened in the DC Region I'd BE THERE to dig everyone out with my SHOVEL, not a dumb snowblower!

• Like 1

Today, snow is falling, strong winds are still blasting snow. Both Tahoe and Mammoth are closed because of high snow rates, high winds and visibilities shot completely to hell. I have never seen The Village in Mammoth like this. This is a serious  storm. Plows are very very busy today. People are walking around bewildered by the horrific conditions. Mammoth got 20 inches overnight. How can you tell with strong winds blowing the powder all over the place at 15 degrees? Not sure how much Palisades has gotten so far. Woolly cam portrays a very dark snowscape with very bad visibility. Snow is blowing all over. I have gotten one heck of a high octane snow fix off of the Mammoth cameras,  especially last night!!! Very high wind gusts are causing gray out / white out on the woolly lot. The storm is still raging nearly at last night's ferocity.

Wow wow wow wow wow Mammoth is such a snow enthusiasts paradise! Those winds are really blowing  that POW all over! They plowed that lot BUT the storm just piles more pow on! This place is whiteout central! Mammoth NEVER, EVER lets you down!

Are you kidding me???????? There's a Bus and that whiteout was so damn BAD, you can't even see the bus! The bus was only a few scant feet from the camera! Man I am falling head over heels in sweet WUB with Mammoth!!!! What a storm! What an incredible blizzard this is!

This is SO bad, you could get so overly cold jebwalking out in this then get so badly disorientated in the ongoing whiteout, that you could easily end up like Luke Skywalker on Hoth.

Ha ha guys getting pics in front of the Mammoth in the teeth of the blizzard lol. Another bus full of touristas lookin at the shut down lifts amid  huge blowing aggregates! Mammoth fell to 14 degrees. Still snowing and blowin real hard, whiteouting to death. Touristas can't resist, they are jebwalking all over lol.

Might want to check out the Palisades cams, 8200 foot Scope shows a decent drift. This is the first time in DAYS I've been able to see anything Tahoe.

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=palisades

Alpine cams are still worthless. Its pretty windy up there. They've been closed down all day anyway.

Mammoth cams are usable and it is still snowin and blowin there, tho a tad less than last night's wonderful grayouts with tons of snow comin down!

The forecasters were spot on with the water equivalents and they got the snow, BUT the high winds broke the aggregates up in smaller flakes that did not pile up as high and the winds blew some snow off the measuring sites. That's why Tahoe probably has 4 feet now and Mammoth has 2-3 feet now. Up to three more feet could pile up by Monday morning, but the caveat is that the winds will break up the flakes and reduce snow depth measurements. But I KNOW what I saw come down last night! It was white GOLD and those 100 plus winds made for an exciting, rousing show! To my everlasting joy, Tahoe recorded 190 mph winds at crest last night! THIS IS MY KIND OF WEATHER! IT'S MY KIND OF WEATHER!

This is still an INCREDIBLE storm and I am very happy I got to witness last night's extravaganza!

Wow I am so happy and full of vicarious snow, I close my eyes and all I see are whiteouts and tractor blades tryin so hard to clear deepening snowpacks on the lots of the resort!

I LOVE MAMMOTH SO MUCH! Just have a look at all that blowing snow!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/woolly-cam

CHECK IT OUT! LIGHTS ARE BACK ON AT THE MAIN LODGE!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

In the Village in Mammoth, it is snowing SO HARD it's unbelievable! They must already have a new foot of pow! They JUST plowed that!

In life, there is no better thing, than to be Mammoth'ed by high winds and insane snow rates! I absolutely LOVE Mammoth to the utter exclusion of everything and everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are getting gray outs again in the world-famous Woolly lot as the winds come up and a burst of torrential snow smashes into the Sierra tonight!!!!

The Village at Mammoth is getting absolutely obliterated right now! It's WORSE, than last night!!!!!

Woolly is getting so obliterated that they have a near constant gray-out! It's very high winds plus an extra burst of very very heavy snow that is utterly assaulting the living hell out of the Woolly region!

Both Palisades and Mammoth remain closed. Winds are still too excessive to open lifts. Snow continues to pile up as well. Visibilities  are better. People are out walking around. Mammoth has 3 feet. Tahoe has a TON of snow, probably 5-6 feet. I heard  Donner Pass may have ~8 to 9 feet.

There are a lot of folks stuck on the highways.  Some of these ppl have been in their cars for 2 days. This is a full blown desperate  emergency. It's still blizzarding.

Katabatic is marooned at Donner in an airbnb expecting at least another 4 feet of snow. Yesterday he reported 7 feet so far. He was lookin for a snow fix. He got some, alright lol. The snowblower the condo association  uses to clear all the snow is broken. In the meantime, snow piles up there and the wind is stacking drifts.  Hope Katabatic is okay. He is out of power and has no Internet, though his phone works. 

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m a compassionate person, but it’s hard to feel too sorry for the cars stuck I 80. They had to have their head in the sand or be in complete denial if they didn’t know how dangerous that trip would be.

true

So got to spend the last 36+ hours with my son AND enjoy a good bit of snowfall. Only 10 inches has fallen where he lives, but up on the mountain they reported 18-20 inches. LOTS of drifting with the 30-50 mph winds. He has a weather station on a 5 foot pole in the side yard that you could see the top 8-10 inches of the pole, now gone lol. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:51 PM, George BM said:

Forecast Discussion

Saturday, March 16, 2024 3:28PM EDT

Blizzard Warning in effect from 8AM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 3PM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024

High Wind Warning in effect from 9AM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 6PM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024

Hurricane-Force Wind Warning in effect from 2PM EDT Sunday, March 17, 2024 until 6AM EDT Monday, March 18, 2024 (for tidal-Potomac and Chesapeake Bay)

Life-Threatening Late-Winter Storm to cripple the region.

Temps are currently holding in the mid-50sF across the DC metro area but are already starting to fall in far northern Maryland as the cold front associated with the strong northern stream system drops south through the region. Temps will plummet out of the 50s and through the 40s and 30s through the evening and reach the lower 20s in many areas by morning as the unusually cold airmass pushes in. As this occurs through the late afternoon and evening hours skies will become overcast both from lift associated with the southward moving cold front and from the strong southern stream system to our south/southwest. There may be enough lift and moisture associated with the front for some light sprinkles and/or a few flurries/light snow showers to develop through the evening before precip slips to the southeast. Northerly winds will become quite gusty during this time with gusts of 25 to 40 mph.

As the strong southern storm system moves toward the coastal Carolinas tonight it will begin to phase with a second powerful northern stream vort diving south from the eastern Great Lakes/ Toronto region leading to strong diffluence over the surface low leading to rapid deepening. The two will pinwheel around each other as they phase bringing the southern storm and associated surface low northwards as rapid deepening takes place allowing snow to overspread the region by morning from southeast to northwest. The snow will quickly become heavy as NE winds increase with gusts to over 50 mph across the region likely by midday. Temperatures during this time will be in the lower 20sF leading to windchills in the single digits. By the late afternoon/evening the surface low will slow down and eventually stall over the Virginia peninsula/ southern Chesapeake Bay area. The surface pressure could be as low as the mid-950s in millibars breaking monthly low-pressure records in that area. Meanwhile, the areas northwest of the surface low (the greater Washington DC and Baltimore metros) will be getting the worst of this storm with blinding snowfall and widespread 60-75+ mph wind gusts w/ 80-90+ mph gusts along the coast of the Bay. In fact, snowfall rates in the heaviest bands will likely be in the 4-6”+/hr range leading to visibilities as low as 50 feet (effectively zero visibility for the sake of argument) from the late afternoon hours through the night and into Monday morning. Temperatures will remain in the 20s throughout the duration of this event with upper teens possible in the higher elevations north and west and temperatures closer to 32F in far southern MD and along the bay where warmer air will be located near the surface low. Windchills during the duration of the event will stay in the single-digits for most w/ negative single-digits in the mountains and lower teens in southern MD and along the bay.

Near-whiteout and conditions and severe wind gusts will still be ongoing by dawn Monday as the low-pressure system slowly pulls northeastwards. Heavy snow will continue through the late morning to midday hours before tapering off from west to east. When all is set and done with total liquid-equivalent precipitation of 4-7”+ across the region, snowfall totals of 4 to 6 FEET will likely be commonplace with snow drifts of as high as 30 feet possible. Areas in southern MD and near the Bay may end up with slightly less (roughly 2 to 4 feet) as the warmer air associated with the low-pressure center cuts down on totals in that area.

This will be the worst blizzard, by far, to impact the region since weather records started in the later 1800s. It will essentially be a high-impact hurricane with snow instead of rain as the main precip-type. People who venture outside during this time may get disoriented and lost in the whiteout conditions and/or get seriously injured by flying debris. Emergency services may not be able to reach you for days should something happen to you outside. This is the DC and Baltimore urban corridor not Lake Tahoe or the Japanese Alps. We’re not equipped with the snow removal equipment that they have. So, if you absolutely must venture outside during the storm no caution that you use would be too extreme given the circumstances.

Temperatures will only rebound to the lower 30s as skies start clearing by mid to late afternoon on Monday.

Forecaster Wannabe: George BM

George BM I would like you to consider writing us up a freak snowstorm in April in the DC Region which is an UNPRECEDENTED triple phaser with the storm in a 40/70 Benchmark location relative to Washington DC. Please? And this biblical blizzard gets STALLED in the 40/70 benchmark position for days on end? Please! You know how to do storm writeups! Kocin and Uccellini should be takin serious notes from you! The storm has a ton of frigid  cAk Siberian air to draw from to produce unprecedented amounts of snow over the entire sub, but this scenario takes into account the very warm oceans' input to such a storm resulting in ice-age-like implications not just during the storm, but well after!

On 3/1/2024 at 10:23 AM, psuhoffman said:

@jonjonCongrats, I've stopped in a couple times when I took the kids to Blackwater or Timberline but you weren't there...very nice place.

Thanks PSU, sorry I've missed you.  But I'm not in the bar often these days (trying to keep consumption down).  If you're ever headed this was let me know ahead of time and I can make an appearance!

• Like 1

Don't look now but its SNOWING HARD IN PALISADES AGAIN!

Check out that 8200' Scope! Thats a MONSTER 6 FOOT DRIFT!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=palisades

Someone talkin RIDGE in the West? Naah, I dont think so. March is gonna be BIG in the sierra!

I dont care what the models say! Sierra dont care either! If its gonna snow BIG in the Sierra, It's just gonna snow BIG in the Sierra!

You all are NOT gonna believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hit 91 again today in Buda!!!!!! Wow SECOND high in the 90s this early! Normal is 67!

What's not to LOVE about the new fiery hot Base State?!!!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kay said:

Anyone spot any osprey yet? I've been super busy but haven't seen or heard any so far.

Yep. I report to work at Fort Belvoir once weekly and try to do a lunchtime walk down to Accotink Bay...have seen a handful of osprey in past couple weeks, and a couple of them have already been hooting at me when I walk near their nesting platforms/poles, which the Army is pretty good about placing all around the bay for them. Of course, they're not averse to building their pterodactyl-like nests at the top of the field lights surrounding nearby baseball/softball fields on post, either.  :) 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic