Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs

40/70 Benchmark

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s probably over . We had a good week . I have 3 stumps that need grinding after the trees came down and they’re buried in snow . And a lawn to redo . It’s ok 

I'll be shocked if we don't have anymore snow threats 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had more snow last year than this year. You see a strong Nino setting up in the fall.. you run away fast from a snowy winter in the NE.. which we correctly forecast 

I had 32” last year and 30.5” this year 

Strong El ninos favor the Mid Atlantic . It's warm everywhere this year. 

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had more snow last year than this year. You see a strong Nino setting up in the fall.. you run away fast from a snowy winter in the NE.. which we correctly forecast 

I had 32” last year and 30.5” this year 

I had more than twice as much last year as so far this year.  It has been pretty poor hear other than a few weeks in January 

50 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Strong El ninos favor the Mid Atlantic . It's warm everywhere this year. 

Plenty of strong El Ninos were decent, but unfortunately this wasn't one of them. Over the past several years it really hasn't mattered what ENSO has done because the extra tropical Pacific has sucked. Anyone who has a clue knows this wasn't a prototypical super El Nino with a huge GOA low...its sucked because we can't shake the west PAC warm pool that continues to favor Maritime forcing, regardless of ENSO.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Plenty of strong El Ninos were decent, but unfortunately this wasn't one of them. Over the past several years it really hasn't mattered what ENSO has done because the extra tropical Pacific has sucked. Anyone who has a clue knows this wasn't a prototypical super El Nino with a huge GOA low...its sucked because we can't shake the west PAC warm pool that continues to favor Maritime forcing, regardless of ENSO.

At least CA keeps getting the "atmospheric rivers"........I swear growing up in the Bay Area I never heard it called that and I wonder if you guys here ever heard "bomb cyclone" or "polar vortex" after every noreaster or cold snap.......anyway.....heres to Sping 2024!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

At least CA keeps getting the "atmospheric rivers"........I swear growing up in the Bay Area I never heard it called that and I wonder if you guys here ever heard "bomb cyclone" or "polar vortex" after every noreaster or cold snap.......anyway.....heres to Sping 2024!!!!

It's just a shit Pacific period...shame on me for misinterpreting that (again) and thinking we could still have a decent winter. I was wrong. But it's not because of the El Nino...people saying that are also wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That WPAC warm pool only became an issue after the 2015-16 super nino. We saw several cold winters between 2000-2015. Perhaps a strong Nina may help to cool it. We just came out of a multi-year Nina but they were all weak except 2020-21 which was moderate. I'm just grasping at straws. I'm tired of these warm winters myself. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Agree with you about the term atmospheric river. I find it extremely irritating for some reason lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Agree with you about the term atmospheric river. I find it extremely irritating for some reason lol.

Yaaassssss!!!!!......that term is a recent thing.......they called it El Nino properly back then.......idk...now its a convoluted mess........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Does that mean the MJO isn't just "all the rage" the last 7 years or so like Will said? It's been driving the bus lately? I still don't understand the MJO I need to read a lot about it. And I sure as hell can never understand the plots of it.

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Does that mean the MJO isn't just "all the rage" the last 7 years or so like Will said? It's been driving the bus lately? I still don't understand the MJO I need to read a lot about it. And I sure as hell can never understand the plots of it.

It means despite all the great info we can develop with such limited experience we don't know poop......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Not so much the MJO, but more what is biasing it west.

51 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Yaaassssss!!!!!......that term is a recent thing.......they called it El Nino properly back then.......idk...now its a convoluted mess........

Pretty sure it was called Pineapple Express back in the day. 

• Like 3

• dendrite changed the title to Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs
  • dendrite pinned this topic
  • dendrite unpinned this topic