• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs

40/70 Benchmark

There’s actually some chance there won’t end up with a very organized event, either, from what I’m looking at… 

saw some stuff last night that made me wanna pull the plug. We’ll see. But it’s difficult for me to see how it survives both index Charlie Browning, and model amplitude —> attenuation.  

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Well to be fair..an inch isn’t very much, and your rates weren’t too good, so you have to factor that in too. We had two inches here, and it stuck to the roads fine until it slowed down and stopped.  But ya…low sun angle is better for retention, and sticking with paltry rates.  But beggars can’t be choosers. 

I need to have that coastal next Saturday to hammer NNE. If it does it’s game on for more March sledding. And that’s a win for me. 

The sun angle is definitely having a bigger affect on snow-cover. Now in late February. 

Wednesday 2/14:

20240214_124258_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.74b0a6c72dab32afc4ba0ccadce455fa.jpg

Today:

20240217_151511_copy_1209x1612.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The sun angle is definitely having a bigger affect on snow-cover. Now in late February. 

Wednesday 2/14:

20240214_124258_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.74b0a6c72dab32afc4ba0ccadce455fa.jpg

Today:

20240217_151511_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Of course…it’s stronger no doubt. We still full thick cover here. 12.5” will keep it around lots longer. It’s compacted down to 6” Or so but we have thick cover everywhere still here. 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I won't be suprised at all if it just fails...intimated as much and got the 3rd degree for it.

The Euro still passes at sub 990mb low between ACK and the BM, fwiw.  It's just that like yesterday, it doesn't for some reason mechanize appreciable QPF on the western side. Interesting

That could be the back ground negative interfering physics of a massive pattern change entering the processing.  It's like the Euro's fighting it? 

What's actually happening is the scaffolding for a storm ( at all ) is rapidly in collapse between the 22nd and 25th.  The western limb of the PNA in fact entering a -PNA construct ( robustly so, too ...) with such rapidity that the eastern limb is still vestigially carrying NW flow over Chicago where is the attempted amplification while that is happening. 

It's a race before a whiplash pattern sweeps the continent.  I mean it is right on the heels of this.  It kind of reminds me of the March 2014 storm - the one that only hit the Cape.  The cold over the eastern Lakes, here and SE Canada, wrapped into it and rolled on up into the Maritime and left spring in it's wake.  It was a bitter end to the year to miss the pig storm by 'that' much, only to do push-ups in mud season.

So anyway ... these last 2 or 3 cycles of modeling appear to be giving into the eastward push.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The Euro still passes at sub 990mb low between ACK and the BM, fwiw.  It's just that like yesterday, it doesn't for some reason mechanize appreciable QPF on the western side. Interesting

That could be the back ground negative interfering physics of a massive pattern change entering the processing.  It's like the Euro's fighting it? 

What's actually happening is the scaffolding for a storm ( at all ) is rapidly in collapse between the 22nd and 25th.  The western limb of the PNA in fact entering a -PNA construct ( robustly so, too ...) with such rapidity that the eastern limb is still vestigially carrying NW flow over Chicago with the attempted amplification. 

It's a race before a whiplash pattern sweeps the continent.  I mean it is right on the heels of this.  It kind of reminds me of the 2014 storm - the one that only hit the Cape.  The cold over the eastern Lakes, here and SE Canada, wrapped in into it and rolled on up into the Maritime and it was spring the rest of the way that year.  It was a bitter end to the year to miss the pig storm by 'that' much, only to do push-ups in mud season.

So anyway ... these last 2 or 3 cycle of modeling appear to be giving into the eastward push.

You were of a different ilk yesterday….but ok. Modeling got to you today. 

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

You were of a different ilk yesterday….but ok. Modeling got to you today. 

I told him there's still a system there?   hello -

Beyond that ... I'm just being as objective as I can regarding where this system stands as as of 5:30 pm on Saturday February 17 2024.  

Part of the issue with my own involvement thru yesterday was that I didn't have time to study the full suite of techniques I normally use. I was heads down at work all week...  But last night I had a chance and there's some pretty prevalent red flags.

I can assure you, I don't sway emotionally with modeling idiosyncrasies - if that's what you mean?  To wit, this is not mere nuances to overcome in guidance.   There are wholesale manifold changes in the Pacific that should not be ignored if one is either in prediction efforts, or just needs their expectations to be well founded. 

Do with it what you like.   It's up to you.  

• dendrite changed the title to Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs
  • dendrite pinned this topic
  • dendrite unpinned this topic