Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow Don, is this the least snow NYC has had when JFK had 6" plus?

It has to be!

Good question. It is. The previous record for smallest amount at Central Park when JFK Airport saw 6" or more snow occurred on February 23, 1987. Central Park: 4.2"; JFK Airport: 6.1".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of about 5.50 am the snow band finally petered out and I measured 11.0" for a paltry 1" in the last hour - usually i would kill fire that lol.  Could still get another inch over the next few hours but the main event is over. Saw 12" retorted in Readington and plenty of 10+" amounts in CNJ and 9.9" in Metuchen at 5 am which is very close to my 10" at 4.45 am. Really feeling like a once in a lifetime event for a surprise localized major storm and especially getting 2"/hr rates for 5+ hours.  Very LES like.

I was the only maniac at the mall today...me and the janitors. But couldn't start up the snow blower at 6 am. Let the neighbors sleep, plus it is illegal.....got some nice pictures around Menlo. Plows having an easier time with this storm. They actually struggled with the ice a few weeks back, they closed the upper decks for a week til it melted. Going to fire up the big blower today.....10-11 inches ....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

or it’s still 32° in Central Park and never got back to the 20s as forecasted. 

It will be interesting to see what the totals will be in central Park today versus the airports

The snow stuck here easily, we just didn't get into that band

29 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow 6 inches really? I'm at the same latitude as they are, 5 miles to the east and nothing on the roads at any point during the storm but it looks really good on the trees, rooftops and driveway and sidewalks.

Same town as  you 

image.jpeg.5f64be97cff851c6fad3f80ec052aa59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. Central Park stands at 7.5" after 2.0". There could still be some minor additional accumulation when the final report is posted.

Thanks Don. It's amazing what a small difference in area can do. CPK was only a few miles from easily passing 10. 

I think JFK has a legitimate shot at ending the season with more than Logan airport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

Coney island must have a 10 spot somewhere. Lol

One of the better spots for this storm.

0655 AM     Snow             Coney Island            40.59N 73.99W
02/17/2024  M9.9 inch        Kings              NY   Trained Spotter

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Good question. It is. The previous record for smallest amount at Central Park when JFK Airport saw 6" or more snow occurred on February 23, 1987. Central Park: 4.2"; JFK Airport: 6.1".

Wow, that was another notoriously southern based winter when Monmouth County got 50" of snow that season and NYC got only 25" or so.

• Like 1