• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

As of 2.15, 5.5" otg so 3"/hr rate last 30 minutes.  This is a once in 10 year deformation snow band.  It's insanely gorgeous out there... this is almost like lake effect snow.  NWS just put out a warning for Middlesex for 4-6" more snow after 2 am and for Somerset, Mercer and Hunterdon for 3-5" more snow after 2 am.  That means we could hit 10" here.  This reminds me of that incredible inverted trough band of 10" they got at an Eagles game several years ago.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

As of 2.15, 5.5" otg so 3"/hr rate last 30 minutes.  This is a once in 10 year deformation snow band.  It's insanely gorgeous out there... this is almost like lake effect snow.  NWS just put out a warning for Middlesex for 4-6" more snow after 2 am and for Somerset, Mercer and Hunterdon for 3-5" more snow after 2 am.  That means we could hit 10" here.  This reminds me of that incredible inverted trough band of 10" they got at an Eagles game several years ago.

Crazy!!! 5.5 in 2 hours 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Think I’m going to be extremely lucky to snag even a half inch, have to laugh. Looks like a persistent dry slot right over northern Ocean. It’s barely moved from this area lol. 

I suppose this is penance for doing well in the Jan storms.

This'll likely be known for the 20 mile swath that kills it and everyone else around that gets skunked. This band stole all the dynamics. Models did hint at it. Guess we'll see what happens when this band goes east and we have this hangback snow. That's my one chance to make it to WWA criteria if this adds up somehow. These micro flakes ain't doing it. And an example of why ground temps alone have little to do with ratios. In the death band there are also huge dendrites that stack up because the lift is way better.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This'll likely be known for the 20 mile swath that kills it and everyone else around that gets skunked. This band stole all the dynamics. Models did hint at it. Guess we'll see what happens when this band goes east and we have this hangback snow. That's my one chance to make it to WWA criteria if this adds up somehow. These micro flakes ain't doing it. And an example of why ground temps alone have little to do with ratios. In the death band there are also huge dendrites that stack up because the lift is way better.

Makes tons of sense, thanks for the explanation. I couldn’t even believe my eyes when I saw that band set up shop on radar. Was just blisteringly apparent that was real deal snowfall and would likely be the main event. 

Still no accumulation here outside a few flakes on grass with very low rates. 

Living vicariously through these insane pics so keep em coming!

@Allsnowwhat you got man? Share a pic!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 2.45 am we had 6.5" otg so then I shoveled because gorgeous and now as of 3.15 am we have 7.25" so "only" 1.75" last hour... looking at the radar I think 10" is possible.

20240217_030624.jpg?ex=65e2e0a2&is=65d06

20240217_030713.jpg?ex=65e2e0a3&is=65d06

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

2.2” now here under heavy snow. Looks like the yellow echos are finally in the city. Southern bk is approaching 4”

Probably a different world on the south shore out to Jones Beach/Rockaways etc. Based on that Southern Queens, Nassau and Brooklyn might reach warning amounts. Still coming down there. 

• Like 1