Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Weekend Rule? Saturday 2/17 - The Icon Storm

DDweatherman

Just now, Terpeast said:

With the qpf and soundings you just posted, their snowfall output is probably wrong

I mean that's DCA at 06z.  Sounding is firmly below freezing at every level and 32 at surface... so I have no idea why rain is considered the best guess precip type.  It has freezing rain at 48 hours as it's best guess precip type too.  Very odd

For what it’s worth, the Weather Channel is saying 3-5 for just about everyone in here. Even mentioned a little upside potential. However, they did  mention Georgetown specifically,  and how those living in that quadrant of DC are completely fucked on this one. I was like whhhhhhaaaat! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yes but what's with the best guess precip type of rain?

25 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

With the qpf and soundings you just posted, their snowfall output is probably wrong

(again, it means nothing as far as verification)

The UKMET precip type maps on pivotal are awful.  It works both ways...when the surface is cold they calculate ice as snow.  Several times someone posted this crazy snow map all excited and I checked the thermals and was like "that's not snow".  It also does this sometimes where because the surface is near 32 it calculates snow as rain.  It seems to overly weight the surface for the precip type calculation.  Just use the precip maps then look at the thermals and disregard the snow maps if you want to judge the UKMET.  

• Thanks 2