• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

Most epic pattern since 2009-2010 is appearing to be a fail, so let's get the green-season party started! All things related to growing and mowing in our little corner of growing zone 8a can go in here.

I went to the local nursery this weekend and picked up seeds and starter mix for this year. Planning to get first seeds under lights this coming weekend. Can't wait to get going!

• Like 3

I didnt see Matt had started the garden thread already. I posted this in the banter thread. I will copy it here as well:

I dont how many are gardeners in here. But the USDA updated their zone maps this year. I was moved into a warmer zone here. I was moved from a 6B to a 7A. That is a pretty major difference in planting schedule. And basically ends their thoughts of me getting frosts here into mid May. I was actually kind of shocked. Because we had a really cold spring last year. And I had my last frost on May 7th. Type your zip code into this map and you can see what the temperature change for your area has been since 2012. Mine was 4 degrees.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

• Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 9:58 AM, wxdude64 said:

Was in Lowe's yesterday looking around and picked up some starter mix. We already had all the seeds needed to get started. Probably get going as soon as we return from CA 1st weekend in March. 

I have already started celery, eggplants, peppers and shallots. Peas went in the ground last weekend. Brassicas will get started early March. And everything else late March. I love this time of year. Gardening while the snow can still fall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I didnt see Matt had started the garden thread already. I posted this in the banter thread. I will copy it here as well:

I dont how many are gardeners in here. But the USDA updated their zone maps this year. I was moved into a warmer zone here. I was moved from a 6B to a 7A. That is a pretty major difference in planting schedule. And basically ends their thoughts of me getting frosts here into mid May. I was actually kind of shocked. Because we had a really cold spring last year. And I had my last frost on May 7th. Type your zip code into this map and you can see what the temperature change for your area has been since 2012. Mine was 4 degrees.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

My property went from a solid 6B to straddling the 6B/7A line, zip went to 7A. A +3 on temp. 

• Like 2

Next door neighbor gave us this stunning waxed-bulb amaryllis for Christmas. One stalk exploded with four blooms a couple weeks ago...this final stalk is in all its glory right now. Thinking of peeling the wax off the bulb and placing in a pot as it goes dormant. What a gorgeous flower...rivals any lily I've seen.

image.jpeg.fd85a76f8e70ea99b0165e327fda6c00.jpeg

• Like 7

On 2/13/2024 at 1:06 PM, MN Transplant said:

Going to move our raised beds this year.  The birches that we planted are encroaching on the prior space.

I need to get a service to come out and trim the big branches from our neighbor’s huge beech tree. It’s on the NW side of my garden, so it doesn’t interfere too badly, but it hangs over enough that it blocks some afternoon sun from a spot where I want to put in a new raised bed. I also just want to keep the limbs from hanging over my house!

Got my first seeds planted and under lights yesterday. I've been getting my seeds from Territorial Seed Company for quite a few years now, so I'm a little nervous about picking up the seeds from the nearby nursery this year. Hopefully the germinate and all is well!

• Tomatoes
    • San Marzano
    • Amish Paste
    • Coeur de Bue
    • Jersey Devil
    • Roma
    • Sugar Cherry
  • Jalapenos
  • Broccoli
  • Lettuce
  • Basil
  • Parsley

I'll probably be starting some others in a few weeks and will be direct sowing mache, spinach, and more lettuce by the middle of March. Dill will go in later.

It's on!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Got my first seeds planted and under lights yesterday. I've been getting my seeds from Territorial Seed Company for quite a few years now, so I'm a little nervous about picking up the seeds from the nearby nursery this year. Hopefully the germinate and all is well!

• Tomatoes
    • San Marzano
    • Amish Paste
    • Coeur de Bue
    • Jersey Devil
    • Roma
    • Sugar Cherry
  • Jalapenos
  • Broccoli
  • Lettuce
  • Basil
  • Parsley

I'll probably be starting some others in a few weeks and will be direct sowing mache, spinach, and more lettuce by the middle of March. Dill will go in later.

It's on!

Too early. They'll be root bound by the time you plant. I start my tomato seeds 6 weeks before planting in mid May. The herbs will need bigger pots in a few weeks. Lots of light. You need real deal, full spectrum LED lights to sustain summer plants during this time of year. I have a greenhouse and grow cannabis during the winter. 

11 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Too early. They'll be root bound by the time you plant. I start my tomato seeds 6 weeks before planting in mid May. The herbs will need bigger pots in a few weeks. Lots of light. You need real deal, full spectrum LED lights to sustain summer plants during this time of year. I have a greenhouse and grow cannabis during the winter. 

It's not too early. I know because I follow the same process every year and I have everything I need to keep plants healthy and strong before planting.

I'll up-pot two times before hardening off and getting the plants in the ground sometime between mid-April and early-May. I plan my planting schedule based on the long-range forecast, and if I feel that I can get them in the ground without fear of getting zapped by cold then I'll do it. A few years ago, we had that early-May cold spell, but I covered up the plants and they withstood it without any issues.

18 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It's not too early. I know because I follow the same process every year and I have everything I need to keep plants healthy and strong before planting.

I'll up-pot two times before hardening off and getting the plants in the ground sometime between mid-April and early-May. I plan my planting schedule based on the long-range forecast, and if I feel that I can get them in the ground without fear of getting zapped by cold then I'll do it. A few years ago, we had that early-May cold spell, but I covered up the plants and they withstood it without any issues.

Try planting when it's hot in mid May. Try one or 2 plants this year. They'll outgrow the plants you put in a month earlier and will double the harvest. Guaranteed. I grow 400-500 pounds of heirloom tomatoes each season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Try planting when it's hot in mid May. Try one or 2 plants this year. They'll outgrow the plants you put in a month earlier and will double the harvest. Guaranteed. I grow 400-500 pounds of heirloom tomatoes each season. 

Sounds interesting. That said, my process is really solid, and I can't imagine harvesting more than I already get! My plants get up to 15' long (maybe even more lol) and I generally harvest from early-July until late October. Might be an interesting thing to do as an experiment, though.

16 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Sounds interesting. That said, my process is really solid, and I can't imagine harvesting more than I already get! My plants get up to 15' long (maybe even more lol) and I generally harvest from early-July until late October. Might be an interesting thing to do as an experiment, though.

Feed more micronutrients and less nitrogen. Tomatoes love magnesium and calcium. They grow less tall and produce better Tomatoes. My plants usually don't get taller then 6' but produce about 75 pounds of Tomatoes. I grow heirloom verities. Try starting seeds the last week of March and plant them once it's 60 or above at night. You'll have bigger, better quality Tomatoes. The plants will catch up to the early ones and then pass them. I've been growing Tomatoes for 35 years. I've tried just about everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mdhokie said:

Anyone else notice chickweed is basically year round now? 

Not year round but its emerging here the last couple days. Also have some little clumps of onion grass that's been up for a couple weeks. All happening sooner than years past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

Not year round but its emerging here the last couple days. Also have some little clumps of onion grass that's been up for a couple weeks. All happening sooner than years past.

Yea I seemed to really notice it after all the snow melted from the week or so of winter we had in January. Wasn't ready to start killing weeds this early. 

7 hours ago, nj2va said:

Great weekend weather coming up to tend to yard work outside the 30-50% rain chances.  I’ll be doing some leaf cleanup for whatever stragglers got blown into our yard, cleaning up the herb garden, and putting in the mulch delivery order.  

Need to try my hand at an herb garden, always wanted to...have an awkward, corner-ish alcove in the backyard that would be a perfect spot.

• Like 2