Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

Just now, uofmiami said:

I’m 2-4” for N Shore. If we bust high, I won’t complain though.  See what 00Z hi-res runs do with thermals, etc.

I think 2-3” possible on colder surfaces. Ground will be very warm so I see this as mainly a car topper event for us. Middle of the day, temps above freezing. Maybe 3” on grass?

Just now, wdrag said:

18z NAM cold and snowy NYC like 18z HRRR. Wow! I dont have an answer.  NWS does I guess.

USCG RS actually called this. Please see my reference a few posts back.

He's usually spot on, so I am starting to think there is a chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wdrag said:

18z NAM cold and snowy NYC like 18z HRRR. Wow! I dont have an answer.  NWS does I guess.

NWS answer so far for NYC immediate metro = no watches or warnings and only light accumulation possible temps above freezing

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I think the red flag is the national weather service high-end and low end probabilities this morning. For White Plains it had 9 inches as the high-end and 0 as the low end. That's a pretty big difference this close in. The answer probably lies somewhere in between but it can definitely go either way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

I’m 2-4” for N Shore. If we bust high, I won’t complain though.  See what 00Z hi-res runs do with thermals, etc.

Maybe. It’ll be a close call here. If we get enough to cover the grass all the way it’ll be a big win. The surface isn’t the only problem with this, there are warm layers around 800mb that might keep us sleet for a while. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I think 2-3” possible on colder surfaces. Ground will be very warm so I see this as mainly a car topper event for us. Middle of the day, temps above freezing. Maybe 3” on grass?

Just now, jm1220 said:

Maybe. It’ll be a close call here. If we get enough to cover the grass all the way it’ll be a big win. The surface isn’t the only problem with this, there are warm layers around 800mb that might keep us sleet for a while. 

Agree, it’ll be mostly on grass. 2” probably reality but can’t rule out 4” if rates are heavy enough.  Having overcast skies these last 2 days helps a bit with solar radiation on the soil & today the daytime high didn’t get to 52 that my point and click had. Only managed 47 at my stations this afternoon.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

More of a tilt, more snow CPK a little less LI. Important that it did not move north.

maybe CPK can make it to 5 inches total for the season ........saying that on Feb 11th is mind boggling

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Agree, it’ll be mostly on grass. 2” probably reality but can’t rule out 4” if rates are heavy enough.  Having overcast skies these last 2 days helps a bit with solar radiation on the soil & today the daytime high didn’t get to 52 that my point and click had. Only managed 47 at my stations this afternoon.

From what I’ve seen living here our area can do okay in marginal events like last 2/28, but if we’re screwed otherwise like a close in low track or the mid level warm layers it won’t matter. I’ll gladly take whatever it is. My gut says it could be a lot of white rain again on the south shore/city and slushy couple or few inches for us. 

• Like 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic