Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2024

George BM

5 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Lol, yeah, we have a really hot Summertime pattern setting up now. 

It's connected to the La Nina early, so my thoughts is it will continue if the La Nina does continue to develop. 

Its going to be a terrifically burning hot summer with a ton of unusually strong hurricanes. Spring is going to be hellish too. Isn't the new fiery base state FUN in the developing high sun season?!!!!!

I am so glad I dont live on the beach. It is not worth it. Poor Miami, poor Houston, poor New Orleans, poor ANYONE on the coast, even New York City. Really poor NYC lmao.

I am so safe from hurricanes way up here in central Texas, I just wanna BRAG! We dont get hurricanes. We got super HOT and we get DROUGHT.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:24 PM, snownut said:

IMG_3415.thumb.jpeg.12eed1a44ab756f9fb623759598a1d23.jpegIMG_3416.thumb.jpeg.c23bf3a469ca96f7c73a7fed99a1c75a.jpegIMG_3420.thumb.jpeg.16ff55399e549b39a040986d5f00b2a7.jpegIMG_3431.thumb.jpeg.c2fe371613e147b6da8a913b957146b5.jpegIMG_3423.thumb.jpeg.3c36d057d3b30d84ec7e4b86f78fdfa4.jpegStunning bluebird day on my shift at Mt Bachelor this morning.  ( low level fog and snow flurries before I left along with big crowds, mostly from CA and WA areas )   

Major new winter storm cycle starting next week.  When I return from my Virginia trip the first week of March the current forecast is for a fresh 3-6' of base of new base.   

The spring ski season is a lock out here. April is my favorite ski month because it still often snows in the high country yet 15 miles away its great grilling weather and the golf courses are open. 

( Closing day this season is Sunday May 26th )

Again a surprisingly intense winter out here after a mild November and December. 

Actually looking forward to spring weather in Virginia next week.

Some low resolutions phone photos from this morning.

IMG_3414.thumb.jpeg.fca14bdad80affbbda5bd761cb4fcbb2.jpeg

I am so jealous. Sierra is gonna get obliterated again by feet of fresh snow come late next week! Palisades and Mammoth may get buried by as much as six feet of freshies beginning as soon as March 1! If I was there then I'd be dancing around like a fracking lunatic!

2 hours ago, Jebman said:

I am so jealous. Sierra is gonna get obliterated again by feet of fresh snow come late next week! Palisades and Mammoth may get buried by as much as six feet of freshies beginning as soon as March 1! If I was there then I'd be dancing around like a fracking lunatic!

Cascades crush the snow pack.  I am traveling to Virginia next week but expect a fresh 4 to even 6 feet when I return for my next shift at Mt Bachelor .. current projection is 53" 

IMG_3432.thumb.jpeg.173ccc0027e26b3093ecd432a8ff8cc8.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Skiing is really Good today at Wisp.

I got a minor knee scope and a cortisone shot now I’m pushing my rehab hard in hopes I can save my season.  My target date is Easter weekend. April is my favorite month anyways up at Killington, Stowe, Sugarbush and Sugarloaf. It’s ambitious but they said not impossible if I wear the bulky knee brace and have no set backs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I got a minor knee scope and a cortisone shot now I’m pushing my rehab hard in hopes I can save my season.  My target date is Easter weekend. April is my favorite month anyways up at Killington, Stowe, Sugarbush and Sugarloaf. It’s ambitious but they said not impossible if I wear the bulky knee brace and have no set backs. 

Hope your knee heals up fast.

It's 81/61!!! We are enjoying low 60s dewpoints alongside brilliant Texas sunshine! Hey, we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the curve! It's only February! Normal highs/lows are 65/45! We are batting 100,000 up in here! The southeasterlies are getting established!!!!!! Every day I give tearful, heartfelt thanks for the fiery Venusian base state! Hurricane season is gonna be a BLAST!  The oceans are gonna be very hot and we will get to enjoy some super wild weather!

17 hours ago, snownut said:

Cascades crush the snow pack.  I am traveling to Virginia next week but expect a fresh 4 to even 6 feet when I return for my next shift at Mt Bachelor .. current projection is 53" 

IMG_3432.thumb.jpeg.173ccc0027e26b3093ecd432a8ff8cc8.jpeg

I hope you get to enjoy ten feet of freshies!!!!!

• Like 1

If we can hit 60s dewpoints in Feb, maybe we can have 80s dewpoints in July or even earlier! Imagine the heat index!!!!!!! This brand shiny new Base State is so intriguing! Between the base state and the superheated oceans, we should have incredible severe weather and unbelievable hurricanes! We just might have to have EF 6 designated  tornadoes and Category 6 designated hurricanes! I ADORE rising water levels SO MUCH!

I am so in pure worshipful LOVE with this!

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Hopefully you have a speedy recovery and can head north for some spring skiing. 

When we got to wisp at 8 this morning it was 18 degrees. Felt like a mid winter day. By the afternoon it was low 40s and awful warm with a winter coat on. Had a great day with the kiddos. There definitely improving and did a few blue intermediates today. A first for them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Hopefully you have a speedy recovery and can head north for some spring skiing. 

When we got to wisp at 8 this morning it was 18 degrees. Felt like a mid winter day. By the afternoon it was low 40s and awful warm with a winter coat on. Had a great day with the kiddos. There definitely improving and did a few blue intermediates today. A first for them.

Thanks, if not at least I did get a few pretty good days in earlier this season.  Finally got to Taos this season, loved that mountain and the town is awesome.  If you are an art fan or foodie it's amazing.  

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

4 - 8 feet of snow expected in Tahoe from Thursday to Saturday. That's...a lot. 

One of the reasons I've never been to Tahoe is they get too much snow.  They are extremely unreliable if you are planning a trip ahead of time because they can go a month with no snow at all then get 100" in a few days and everything shuts down while they clear roads and do avalanche mitigation.  Too much risk and headache.  Frankly SLC is getting to be too much of a headache lately with limited parking at some resorts and huge lines getting up the Canyons...starting to prefer other locations that are less of a hassle.  Colorado almost never lets me down.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Makes sense.

I would guess spring ski season into May is pretty ok in Tahoe tho? Dunno - don't ski.

Probably good for the continued drought relief in that part of Cali at any rate.

It is and if I was to eventually get there it would probably be April.  But the issue is spring skiing is pretty good up in Vermont and Maine also so I tend to just drive up there for a weekend in April and May, its not worth going out west at that point.  

The shiny new hot base state has brought south Texas some upper 60s dewpoints today, along with 80 degree ambient temps and some fleecy cirrus! I have to move branches today. I am gonna get a real good introduction to the early inception of full-on Spring to our part of the CONUS. We also already have 5 to 10 percent leafout. This is all quite early for us, even down here.

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

One of the reasons I've never been to Tahoe is they get too much snow.  They are extremely unreliable if you are planning a trip ahead of time because they can go a month with no snow at all then get 100" in a few days and everything shuts down while they clear roads and do avalanche mitigation.  Too much risk and headache.  Frankly SLC is getting to be too much of a headache lately with limited parking at some resorts and huge lines getting up the Canyons...starting to prefer other locations that are less of a hassle.  Colorado almost never lets me down.  

Pretty spot on and similar to Tahoe here.

Storms drag on for days even a week or more of constant snowing. I think it was December 2016 that it snowed every day of that month! 

It's hard work opening the mountain or staying open.  

I did not think about this until being a powder corp employee this season.  Be excited and supportive of every customer you meet because they have likely invested a great deal for a ski vacation. I am smiling, thumbs up "Have a great day out there" In my head I am thinking OMG what bad luck, high winds, low visibility or earlier this season icy surfaces 

CA tourist have consistently told me our snow is better than the heavy wet Tahoe snow. ( or even Mt Hood Timberline here have consistently high water content snow storms )

With that in mind 

I would not recommend a ski vacation here unless you come in late spring.  Or if you are fine having snowmobiling, snowshoeing, dog sledding or nordic as a safe backup.  If investing in a Ski Vacation then go to Colorado, Montana or Utah! They seem to have the best chance for great dry snow and sunshine days right after storms. 

In my 10 years here late march through mid april are the best. More sunshine, deep base, often all 4000 plus acres are open. And no crowds. Any late spring snowstorms roll through fast.

Ultimate ski scenario:  Being a local season pass holder you can pick and choose. Go ski 1 run and done or just forget skiing have a beer, watch the tourist struggle in harsh conditions out the lodge window and then head home.  

Speakin of Tahoe and Mammoth, they are getting 5 to 7 FEET of fresh snow Thursday thru at least Saturday!

Repeat this after me:

You Can NEVER, EVER get too much snow at Tahoe.

We are snow enthusiasts. I want 35,000 feet of snow. I want an ice age. I want fifty feet of snow in a single delightful snowstorm with 100 mile an hour winds at 100 below zero. That is verbatim what I used to say in high school circa 1980. Thats one of the reasons I got kicked out the school system: Too fvckin CRAZY. School system threw a kegger once they threw me out and my dad cried. He was so damned embarrassed. I just would NOT shut the hell up about how much I loved the snow, absolfuckinglutely adored people slipping on the ice, loved 2000 mile backups on I 95 and total humanitarian crises! I just get crazier and crazier about extreme weather, be it meters and meters of snow in record cold and ice so deep people can't even get out of their houses! Or super hurricanes with 260mph sustained winds and storm surges that will cover the 6th floor of buildings with horrific waves that I then get to savor on youtube because of courageous storm chasers.

THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH SNOW. EVEN IN THE DONNER PARTY. EVEN IN THE ANDES IN 1972 WHEN YOUR PLANE CRASHES. EVEN DESCENDING FROM THE EVEREST SUMMIT IN MAY 1996 IN BLINDING SNOW, -85 WINDCHILLS, INSUFFICIENT OXYGEN, SHERPAS ARE EXHAUSTED, WITH PROFESSIONAL CLIMBERS TUMBLING OFF THE HILLARY STEP ONTO SHARP ROCKS THOUSANDS OF FEET BELOW.

Even if we were getting an ice age tomorrow. Even if it killed 8 billion people. There can never be too much snow. For those who think there can be too much snow, the shiny new fiery base state will take good care of you. Because Global Warming is real. Runaway greenhouse warming is real - and already underway. We hit 81/68 today in Texas. Its February. Leaves are coming out. The lawn is already 18 inches tall in places and I have to use a push mower.

I am still crazy Ivan about snow and nearly 60 years old. I wub Alta, because they have this thing called Interlodge. I worship it. Long live the heavy snow at Tahoe. May there always be way too much snow at Tahoe, and ski patrol falls over from too damn much avalanche mitigation. Maybe the ski patrol gets avalanched, because of excessive amounts of snow lmfao! May five hundred record atmospheric rivers obliterate the Sierra with so much snow, they cant even find the ski resorts! May there always be extremely heavy wet snow at Tahoe, dozens of feet of it, and the ski patrol gets to get totally punked out because they have to dig their ski patrol shacks out of so much extremely heavy wet snow, that falls on them again and again and again and again! And the TOURISTA gets to struggle in the heavy wet Sierra Cement, and I get to savor it on YouTube on my beloved 5G tablet! Yeah. I'm a very very extremely sick puppy. YouTube publishers get rich from sickos like myself watching those vids many thousands of times. Isn't this an incredible world? 5G is out and I can watch this stuff EVERYWHERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Especially Mammoth getting obliterated by possibly seven or eight feet of snow this weekend!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

4 - 8 feet of snow expected in Tahoe from Thursday to Saturday. That's...a lot. 

Imma have to go on up in there and show those ski patrol types how to dig snow.

They cant handle eight feet of heavy wet snow.

Only The Jebman can.

3 hours ago, Jebman said:

Speakin of Tahoe and Mammoth, they are getting 5 to 7 FEET of fresh snow Thursday thru at least Saturday!

Repeat this after me:

You Can NEVER, EVER get too much snow at Tahoe.

We are snow enthusiasts. I want 35,000 feet of snow. I want an ice age. I want fifty feet of snow in a single delightful snowstorm with 100 mile an hour winds at 100 below zero. That is verbatim what I used to say in high school circa 1980. Thats one of the reasons I got kicked out the school system: Too fvckin CRAZY. School system threw a kegger once they threw me out and my dad cried. He was so damned embarrassed. I just would NOT shut the hell up about how much I loved the snow, absolfuckinglutely adored people slipping on the ice, loved 2000 mile backups on I 95 and total humanitarian crises! I just get crazier and crazier about extreme weather, be it meters and meters of snow in record cold and ice so deep people can't even get out of their houses! Or super hurricanes with 260mph sustained winds and storm surges that will cover the 6th floor of buildings with horrific waves that I then get to savor on youtube because of courageous storm chasers.

THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH SNOW. EVEN IN THE DONNER PARTY. EVEN IN THE ANDES IN 1972 WHEN YOUR PLANE CRASHES. EVEN DESCENDING FROM THE EVEREST SUMMIT IN MAY 1996 IN BLINDING SNOW, -85 WINDCHILLS, INSUFFICIENT OXYGEN, SHERPAS ARE EXHAUSTED, WITH PROFESSIONAL CLIMBERS TUMBLING OFF THE HILLARY STEP ONTO SHARP ROCKS THOUSANDS OF FEET BELOW.

Even if we were getting an ice age tomorrow. Even if it killed 8 billion people. There can never be too much snow. For those who think there can be too much snow, the shiny new fiery base state will take good care of you. Because Global Warming is real. Runaway greenhouse warming is real - and already underway. We hit 81/68 today in Texas. Its February. Leaves are coming out. The lawn is already 18 inches tall in places and I have to use a push mower.

I am still crazy Ivan about snow and nearly 60 years old. I wub Alta, because they have this thing called Interlodge. I worship it. Long live the heavy snow at Tahoe. May there always be way too much snow at Tahoe, and ski patrol falls over from too damn much avalanche mitigation. Maybe the ski patrol gets avalanched, because of excessive amounts of snow lmfao! May five hundred record atmospheric rivers obliterate the Sierra with so much snow, they cant even find the ski resorts! May there always be extremely heavy wet snow at Tahoe, dozens of feet of it, and the ski patrol gets to get totally punked out because they have to dig their ski patrol shacks out of so much extremely heavy wet snow, that falls on them again and again and again and again! And the TOURISTA gets to struggle in the heavy wet Sierra Cement, and I get to savor it on YouTube on my beloved 5G tablet! Yeah. I'm a very very extremely sick puppy. YouTube publishers get rich from sickos like myself watching those vids many thousands of times. Isn't this an incredible world? 5G is out and I can watch this stuff EVERYWHERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Especially Mammoth getting obliterated by possibly seven or eight feet of snow this weekend!

I may have an opportunity to go to Tahoe in early May for a work meeting and am thinking I'll see how the skiing is at Palisades. I think they stay open through freaking July! Just unreal 

Getting true blocking way too late to help and making spring relatively cold and wettish up our way has been a bit of a recurring theme the last ten years or so. Enough of a recurring event now that I idly wonder if it is tied to the general change occurring with our weather patterns. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Getting true blocking way too late to help and making spring relatively cold and wettish up our way has been a bit of a recurring theme the last ten years or so. Enough of a recurring event now that I idly wonder if it is tied to the general change occurring with our weather patterns. 

I don't get colder Springs...if everything is supposed to be a bit warmer overall, why have the Springs been colder?

BEE YOO TI FUL WEATHER today here, with 81/66!!! Wow our low was what our high temperature should be! We are in good shape! No ice this season, and we are safely nice and warm! Leaves are comin out! Grass is growing like late May already! Our fig tree has tons of leaves already! Hey, it's only February! I am absolutely LOVIN that brand shiny new fiery base state! It's been damn good for us! Bring on the Hadley Cells too! And the MJO!

What we have got here, is a failure to have winter! This is the way we want it! Well, WE GET IT!

We are averaging 15 to 20 degrees ABOVE normal as the Nina develops!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rhino16 said:

Got 2 lightning flashes yesterday while taking weather class tests… let’s see if we get anymore today or tomorrow. Maple trees have red nibs on the end, and flowers are coming up. It’s spring.

Trees and daffodils/crocuses have been hammer-down around here for the past two weeks, but the biggest tell was the huge chorus of peepers singing last evening in the wetlands surrounding our neighborhood.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic