• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

48 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Shhhh…..it’s the storm after the storm after the storm.

Weve been chasing 7+ days since  mid December. We got an excellent run for 7 -8 days over two weeks ago.

Archaic   models and this new environment we are in, and weather forecasting is rapidly falling   behind all other sciences.

Now plenty will tell me how I Should Be Looking at it but I live in reality.  This has been a great hobby and I continue to do the recordings and we are in many cities now.  But this model chasing fantasy has worn out. I love  obs threads in situation but frankly all the rest of it is just myriad and myriad of ever changing examples of what might could possibly happen .That creates nothing positive for me anymore. Hitting one out of every ten targets is frustration and that’s not a hobby 

see you again when snow is in reality on the way or occurring 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 2

When IAD posted the 80 degree January day, the rolled forward analogs of similar occurrances at +17-20 days showed a -150dm +AO signal... At the time, there was a lot of LR data showing the opposite, but the ground truth has proven advantage over LR models a lot of times... it seems like they are heavily weighing ENSO climo, when it has been obvious that we've been having these mid-latitude/Hadley Cell high pressure problems for a few Winters now.  I like to look outside, look at the clouds, and sort of make a LR assessment going forward. It did look like we were in a "calm before the storm" pattern the last few days..

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The 18z OP GFS never closes off a block.. except one over England. 

The op gfs is likely wrong. It’s all alone. And it’s a garbage model. It’s scoring worse than the Euro, ggem, Ukmet and even the icon last I saw!  But ok if you’re basing this off the op gfs then yes it’s a garbage pattern. The op gfs never develops the block. But I’m doing what you should when the gfs has no support. Disregarding it. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The op gfs is likely wrong. It’s all alone. And it’s a garbage model. It’s scoring worse than the Euro, ggem, Ukmet and even the icon last I saw!  But ok if you’re basing this off the op gfs then yes it’s a garbage pattern. The op gfs never develops the block. But I’m doing what you should when the gfs has no support. Disregarding it. 

3-4 days ago, OP models were showing P-type problems with the PD storm, when the upper latitude pattern on the ensembles has been near perfect!  Since then, the ensembles have come in a little bit weaker with the blocking pattern. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

"weak blocking pattern" lol literally a pristine 2 sigma block over the Davis Strait at 300 hours out

1639658482_gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-8430400(1).thumb.png.33c4df2378018799b5c14aca41913e58.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stormy said:

I'll take this at 270.  3 consecutive runs.    At 240 the GFS, ECM and GEM all have the goods brewing in the NW  Gulf and S. Texas.    It's a SLAM DUNK  with all 3 on board at 240.  Rather unusual.                       

image.thumb.png.4e52c73634c19ee1f246c27c870f4923.png

How ya feeling now?

• Like 2

with all of the agonizing over OP runs, we're still looking at a cold, active pattern with a tall AK ridge, west based -NAO blocking, confluence, and a Pacific trough undercutting. the more you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the more things look the same

f240.thumb.gif.55926b87f37f83c84b1c893065417f8e.giff300.thumb.gif.285b6f7a9bb55ba9db4b338d52a21529.gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This is day 10-15 eps

When you average heights across 5 days, the composite often looks better than it really is. A trof axis too far west followed by cold NW mid-level flow often produces a great averaged 500mb anomaly. But that's a rain to dry scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Weve been chasing 7+ days since  mid December. We got an excellent run for 7 -8 days over two weeks ago.

Archaic   models and this new environment we are in, and weather forecasting is rapidly falling   behind all other sciences.

Now plenty will tell me how I Should Be Looking at it but I live in reality.  This has been a great hobby and I continue to do the recordings and we are in many cities now.  But this model chasing fantasy has worn out. I love  obs threads in situation but frankly all the rest of it is just myriad and myriad of ever changing examples of what might could possibly happen .That creates nothing positive for me anymore. Hitting one out of every ten targets is frustration and that’s not a hobby 

see you again when snow is in reality on the way or occurring 

I'm sorry, I've read your comments on this issue for some time and just have to go into a bit of a rant here, because I deal with numerical models myself to some extent...

This has to be one of the most ignorant takes on "models" I've ever seen.  I get that you're not overly fond of numerical weather models, ensembles, etc., as I've seen you say on more than one occasion essentially that "all they do is show you every possible outcome to cover all bases..,." or whatever (and I strongly disagree with that sentiment).  Or at the least you sure leave that impression.  Whatever, and to each their own, but I think this all shows a serious lack of understanding on how modeling systems work and how they should be used/interpreted, and is an insulting slap in the face to the scientists who develop this guidance.  Doesn't matter if some posters in a weather forum like here live and die by every single ops model solution at 200+ hours, which I agree can get annoying.  But that is not a statement on numerical weather prediction itself.  One cannot be serious that weather forecasting has rapidly fallen behind other sciences due to, as you call them, "archaic models."  You cannot seriously believe that our understanding of weather systems now is worse than it was in the early or pre-modeling days.

Perhaps you're right in the end, that you should just show up in the obs threads when a storm actually does occur.  But don't criticize based upon weenieish comments that you read in here and mistake that for what numerical modelers and forecasters believe.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Another variable we should consider is that we are rapidly losing this El Nino, to possibly La Nina conditions. Here's the latest subsurface map.

https://ibb.co/ZgvkXCY

There is usually a direct correlation between the black box area and the N. Pacific PNA, but the SOI has been severely negative, so that may be overpowering otherwise weak indicators right now.. but eventually, I think we do need to worry about -PNA conditions developing sometime in the early Spring. Maybe even sooner.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 4

11 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Another variable we should consider is that we are rapidly losing this El Nino, to possibly La Nina conditions. Here's the latest subsurface map.

https://ibb.co/ZgvkXCY

There is usually a direct correlation between the black box area and the N. Pacific PNA, but the SOI has been severely negative, so that may be overpowering otherwise weak indicators right now.. but eventually, I think we do need to worry about -PNA conditions developing sometime in the early Spring. Maybe even sooner.. 

did it occur to you that most ninos fade late in winter or spring and that’s just part of the typical process. There is a lag effect. That’s why Nina’s that fade do us no good. That’s a common misconception I dispelled a couple years ago. Nina’s that faded fast during winter actually had worse Feb/March snowfall!  If the Nino fades now it won’t impact the pattern for another month or two at the earliest. 

ETA: the Nino in 1964 faded mid winter and by May we were in La Niña but it didn’t impact the pattern at all. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic