Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Snow on Snow: the this always works until it doesn't thread

psuhoffman

4 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Minor but heights and flow backing off the coast on GFS, trend over last 3 runs 

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh30_trend.gif

To me the piece near WI/MN is slower and giving more space.  helps spread things out more.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

No idea what they've seen that made them cut back on totals since last night. If anything, they should have increased them in some areas.

I believe this is computer generated.  Also, remember that the temps are going to marginal, and mostly coming in during the daylight hours.  This is going to be a northern tier storm.  I think the map looks reasonable. 

Also, the NAM is on a island by itself with the 12Z run with the amount of snowfall.

• Haha 1

Just now, Interstate said:

I believe this is computer generated.  Also, remember that the temps are going to marginal, and mostly coming in during the daylight hours.  This is going to be a northern tier storm.  I think the map looks reasonable. 

Disagree with that last part. The very problem is that they cut back on totals in the northern tier where we agree the best totals will be. Makes no sense given the model trends in the last 12 hours.

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Also, the NAM is on a island by itself with the 12Z run with the amount of snowfall.

Is it? Have you seen the Euro? 

• Like 2

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Is it? Have you seen the Euro? 

I said the 12Z model run... I believe the Euro starts around 1PM.  No other model gets more than 2 to 2.5 inches in the DC/Balt area other than the NAM.  Plus... it is going to be fairly light snow... with marginal temperatures.  So even if you get that amount... that is not what is going to be actually on the ground.image.thumb.png.2c61cc1c2215136c26aad649b64f72b5.png

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Minor but heights and flow backing off the coast on GFS, trend over last 3 runs 

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh30_trend.gif

You can see in the snowfall map the heavier stripe starting to turn a little more sw to ne. That would indicate improvement in precip across the region because of the backing you mentioned.

1 minute ago, Interstate said:

I said the 12Z model run... I believe the Euro starts around 1PM.  No other model gets more than 2 to 2.5 inches in the DC/Balt area other than the NAM.  Plus... it is going to be fairly light snow... with marginal temperatures.  So even if you get that amount... that is not what is going to be actually on the ground.image.thumb.png.2c61cc1c2215136c26aad649b64f72b5.png

Marginal temps where? Northern tier lows will be in the low 20's overnight (high teens in the Catoctins) with snow beginning around 3am and with snow pack on the ground. If that's marginal, we're all in a lot of trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

And the question of whether snow will stick and the talk of marginal temps … the ground is frigid. If it falls as a snowflake it will stay a snowflake.

Yeah I'm a tad confused as to why folks are talking about daylight hours and all that as if we're at the beginning of March, lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Wow, that's a Debbie Downer post if I've ever seen one.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

Marginal temps where? Northern tier lows will be in the low 20's overnight (high teens in the Catoctins) with snow beginning around 3am and with snow pack on the ground. If that's marginal, we're all in a lot of trouble.

The most of the "Heavy Stuff" comes in on Friday... the Temps are supposed to be 30-32

image.png.30410ddb7c1b2ad6bf36ce84608f27a1.png

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic