Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Both storms look weird. Straight down from north and then back up the coast. Not sure I've seen an evolution like that and it actually resulting in snow for us

They are sliding down the east side of the big central Canada ridge. They need to go to our west/south to have any chance, but guidance has shown it enough that it seems possible. Cold air is lacking though, to put it mildly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I wanna give it another 5-7 days to see the whites of the better pattern's eyes, but I'm of the same impression for now

Similar. Could be some bonkers things happening the first 7-10 days of Feb, but with limited cold air, that doesn’t mean snow per se. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Similar. Could be some bonkers things happening the first 7-10 days of Feb, but with limited cold air, that doesn’t mean snow per se. 

yeah once you get to the 10th, that's when the trough opens up more into the ATL and heights rise over the WC and AK. that's when you have Arctic air to work with via cross polar flow

• Like 4

It's going to get close to 80 in DC today! Let's see how models handle the current conditions, they have been showing big cold/good storm setups at 384hr, but it's been on the last 384hr panel for about 3-4 days now. 6z GFS ensemble mean has that really good -NAO/+PNA building at 384hr too: https://ibb.co/WWj2GBP It's a loading pattern on the map, so if those two areas go stronger beyond, then that's a really great setup in a year where the N. Hemisphere has been so wet, with a wet STJ.  Sometimes when the initial day is so warm, LR models will back off the strong cold though. Let's see what happens, especially at 18z - 6z tomorrow.  

45 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

i think Feb 1-10 is going to be not warm enough for blowtorch but not cold enough for snow....its going to feel frustrating unless we thread the needle. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ji said:

i think Feb 1-10 is going to be too warm for blowtorch but not cold enough for snow....its going to feel frustrating unless we thread the needle. 

Yeah…tend to agree. 35-40F rain kinda pattern.

43 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you can see all of the ULLs stretching across the ATL. this is how you get big wave breaking that leads to a -NAO. almost like the ATL is blocking itself up before the block even really forms

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-7328800.thumb.png.5a649754037aa3eadb0177752bd27de0.png

way too much trough in the PAC NW

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you can see all of the ULLs stretching across the ATL. this is how you get big wave breaking that leads to a -NAO. almost like the ATL is blocking itself up before the block even really forms

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-7328800.thumb.png.5a649754037aa3eadb0177752bd27de0.png

Can someone please explain what exactly you mean when you say a 'wave breaking'?  I've been around too long I'm embarrassed asking. Maybe I know it via different terminology.

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Can someone please explain what exactly you mean when you say a 'wave breaking'?  I've been around too long I'm embarrassed asking. Maybe I know it via different terminology.

The concept of wave breaking is common across many types of wave phenomenon.  here is the wiki article about in a general sense for gravity waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_wave_breaking 

Rossby waves (our kind of waves in the 500 HP pattern) apparently can also "break", but like you I am not sure what that looks like on a 500 HP plot.

21 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Can;t watch this myself at work, but this may be informative:

https://m.facebook.com/NOAAClimateGov/videos/rossby-waves-and-wave-breaking/1527253234461813/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

The concept of wave breaking is common across many types of wave phenomenon.  here is the wiki article about in a general sense for gravity waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_wave_breaking 

Rossby waves (our kind of waves in the 500 HP pattern) apparently can also "break", but like you I am not sure what that looks like on a 500 HP plot.

I hate the term gravity waves....means something very different in astrophysics!

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

In this hobby for interesting weather more than anything else. Snow is nice, but first week of Feb looks fun either way

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

No gefs discussion? Must not be as good

4 minutes ago, TSG said:

In this hobby for interesting weather more than anything else. Snow is nice, but first week of Feb looks fun either way

GEFS still has that Feb 5-7 period as a time where some sort of low moves under the giant Canada ridge/block. Cold air is limited, but it’s got some interest. After that GEFS seems reluctant to get rid of the west coast trough quickly. Seems tied to how quick the Aleutian low is reestablishing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1