• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

21 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think nyc and LI will have huge issues with dry air with this storm 

Fitting. When we have marginal airmass, we get smoked by the mid layer warmth. Now we have the cold, but we’re too progressive to overcome the low dews. If I interpreted that correctly, inland will be on the outside looking in?

1 minute ago, Rmine1 said:

Fitting. When we have marginal airmass, we get smoked by the mid layer warmth. Now we have the cold, but we’re too progressive to overcome the low dews. If I interpreted that correctly, inland will be on the outside looking in?

It stinks but it does happen a lot through history.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

You live near an ocean that has a warm stream running near and off the coast. You have been spoiled over the last 10-15 years with big storms and KUs. They don't always work that way. Both of these systems are not classics by any stretch and of course they'll have some challenges.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

12/13/89 is the closest match at 500...do NOT go look at what happened that day if you cannot remember 

I sadly remember the Christmas Carolina storm, but that was around the 22nd. Is that what you’re referring too?

19 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

The meso models already showing lesser totals on LI and down the Hudson valley. In this set up with light returns the dry air coming down from sne can really eat away at the snow 

• Sad 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

The meso models already showing lesser totals on LI and down the Hudson valley. In this set up with light returns the dry air coming down from sne can really eat away at the snow 

At the same time it can also tighten the forcing gradient and where it is snowing under light returns its full of fluff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

I sadly remember the Christmas Carolina storm, but that was around the 22nd. Is that what you’re referring too?

It was a DC/BWI/IAD/ILG snow event they had 3-7 inches and we saw nothing due to similar confluence issues in Canada.  My memory is models showed nothing here but parts of SNJ and SE PA got nothing and were forecast to see several inches.  Just 2 nights later we were supposed to see 4-8 and got 20 minutes snow, went to rain and it ended

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

So everyone is screwed

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It was a DC/BWI/IAD/ILG snow event they had 3-7 inches and we saw nothing due to similar confluence issues in Canada.  My memory is models showed nothing here but parts of SNL and SE PA got nothing and were forecast to see several inches.  Just 2 nights later we were supposed to see 4-8 and got 20 minutes snow, went to rain and it ended

Got it. I don’t recall the year, but I remember being under blizzard warnings, only to watch DC/PHL get crushed, as we watched the wall of precipitation literally sit 20 miles offshore to the south. 

27 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

Southwest toward Philly and DC is favored right now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

12/13/89 is the closest match at 500...do NOT go look at what happened that day if you cannot remember 

I remember hearing on AM radio shortly after 5pm that it was raining in NYC.  My disappointment was muted as I looked out the window at the raging snowstorm that dropped about 15" on Stowe.

I learned that day that Vermont is a much better place for clippers than southern NY.

:ski:

EDIT: I think you're right.  The clipper I am thinking of might have been on the 15th.

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I remember hearing on AM radio shortly after 5pm that it was raining in NYC.  My disappointment was muted as I looked out the window at the raging snowstorm that dropped about 15" on Stowe.

I learned that day that Vermont is a much better place for clippers than southern NY.

EDIT: I think you're right.  The clipper I am thinking of might have been on the 15th.

The 15th is when the storm formed too close to the coast and we flipped to rain after about 10 minutes of snow

16 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It was a Miller B digger that was supposed to re-develop and did not dig enough  Models were notorious for blowing those into the middle or even later 90s.  They either would over dig the shortwave or just over bomb the surface low too early when the trof reached the MA so we had a ton of overblown snow forecasts that never happened.  This one was the latter more so, it did not dig enough and the low tracked overhead.  2/16/97 is the last instance I remember of models botching one, the ETA became a good fail safe at not screwing them up and the Euro began to get increasingly used more after March 93 by the US forecasters so those busts sort of fell off the radar after the early 90s mostly 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SBUWX23 said:

You live near an ocean that has a warm stream running near and off the coast. You have been spoiled over the last 10-15 years with big storms and KUs. They don't always work that way. Both of these systems are not classics by any stretch and of course they'll have some challenges.

C'mon man, you've got to let folks vent a little lol.  That post was small enough to be a classic 140 character tweet.  Just because it snowed a lot in the past two decades doesn't mean he has to be happy with 1 inch of snow and ice.  He knows he doesn't live in the Alps.

4 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

C'mon man, you've got to let folks vent a little lol.  That post was small enough to be a classic 140 character tweet.  Just because it snowed a lot in the past two decades doesn't mean he has to be happy with 1 inch of snow and ice.  He knows he doesn't live in the Alps.

Jeez sorry I didn't know I wasn't letting people vent man. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rmine1 said:

Got it. I don’t recall the year, but I remember being under blizzard warnings, only to watch DC/PHL get crushed, as we watched the wall of precipitation literally sit 20 miles offshore to the south. 

The infamous 2/6/10.

• wdrag changed the title to Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic