• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Monitoring some form of significant ( to be determined more precisely) impact winter storm, Jan 16/17th. Moderate seems to be the upper limit - for now

Typhoon Tip

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup ... What just saying the same thing to Seymour'  ...

I just can't help but think about the Boxing Day event in 2010.  That one was on fumes even mere 48 or 60 hours ahead and out of nowhere we were left to trust the NAM ( ETA?) ...which seemed to be the first to pick it back up.   But even then it was dubious because the NAM had ( and may still have) a NW bias over the western Atlantic as one of many in it's various idiotic charms.  Then the 06z Euro marched back... what?  and all the sudden, 12z runs start pouring in big event out of seemingly nowhere.

That was an event that had considerable presentation when in the deeper middle range but was lost for 2 or even 3 days...

My recollection was a GFS run that brought it back full force, which was then discarded for initialization errors.

I posted this sequence below ( from the GFS to make the point -) in the NYC thread. I feel fairly confident the majority of sensitivity leading up to this event is coming down to this flow bifurcation phenomenon that is illustrated ... This handling appears to be the source/origin for the S/W in contention - there is likely either errors in sampling relative to either idea ... OR, the physics after the fact is exposing one or the other as having an an issue with ballast - how much recedes vs gets injected downstream ...

1image.png.fd5568b7b7fadb8cf9d9bd05ba071c36.png

2image.png.9ae0c57baeb1add641e60d748fd69e6a.png

3image.png.6a918987df2b9303425463f31e20c5e7.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RDRY said:

My recollection was a GFS run that brought it back full force, which was then discarded for initialization errors.

Yes that’s how I remember it too…and it was discarded by NWS because of convective feedback errors they said. Lol. Then everything came on board and they had to count it in. 

31 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I could see it going near our just outside of the BM, too...I just don't buy a clean whiff right now. It could end up a se MA JP, though.

I agree, hard to buy the Euro. I'm leaning inside the benchmark close to Nantucket. I'd be surprised if the Euro doesn't course correct somewhat by 12z

23 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I agree, hard to buy the Euro. I'm leaning inside the benchmark close to Nantucket. I'd be surprised if the Euro doesn't course correct somewhat by 12z

Especially if the GFS is a hit at 12z.  If the 12z shats the bed in 45 minutes, then we’ll have a different story. 

This may also help if interested...  I put this in the NY City thread - a bit of an extended evalution/more discrete, regarding the EPO relay of ...whatever is ultimately going to be so -

"....the N/stream additional S/W power at mid (500 mb) level  72hours diving S out of western Canada in the GFS that the Euro doesn't have - sort of resembles an 'intermediate jet stream' feature.  

The GFS phases ... which leads to more power getting relayed E than the Euro, which doesn't perform this phenomenon because it doesn't "see" that middle stream mechanical influence.

Here...

image.thumb.png.2ced96b5803f587676fb69cbbadaa294.png

I just didn't want to get too detailed in the previous post .. but all this is ultimately coming from the complex handling over the EPO domain. What is actually going to get sent down river determines what's tumbling over the dam

• Like 1

This ICON run did exactly what I'm discussing... If you go back along it's recent run cycles, those that have the intermediate stream wind max --> phase and boom.  Those that don't... whiff or less.  

I feel pretty confident we've identified the gremlin here -

• Like 3

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

This ICON run did exactly what I'm discussing... If you go back along it's recent run cycles, those that have the intermediate stream wind max --> phase and boom.  Those that don't... whiff.  

I feel pretty confident we've identified the gremlin here -

So obviously that icon didn’t have that wind max involved in that run I take it, right? 

yeah... this run of the ICON ( actually, I'm not sure I ultimately feel secure in talking like this model is worth it, but - ) may be like the "floor" event when sans a more substantive upstream phase as we've been discussing over the last hour.

It's not a bad solution... 3-5" er. Low end plowable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So obviously that icon didn’t have that wind max involved in that run I take it, right? 

It's just missing it/or less in the same time and space, yeah.

Closer analysis ( because I like giving myself migraines apparently... ), it does have an intermediate region wind max at hour 54 though/ about 12 hours faster as a single run correction unto itself - it could be that this run just moved it ahead - that position change then lowers the proficiency of phasing and lends to an eventual "weak saucer" as an option. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's pretty good. If you want a big hit, you'll probably enjoy rain with it. 

yeah ha that's a good point.  through all of this... kind of needle threading the available cold air when there's limited +PP situated N of the region, huh -